• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington Action Barrel Swap

battlestick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2007
Austin, Texas
I have tried the search function and get a database errors only visible to administrators error. I have just browsed through the list of threads and find info for swapping barrels on a Savage action, but nothing on a Remington action.

I am guessing with the lack of threads that swapping barrels on a rem action is not done by the home smith? If that is correct, can someone please explain why?

Reason: I am going to change my barrel (obviously), and was wondering if I got a Shilen pre-cut/chambered barrel if the swap can be done by us commoners?

Thanks for the info.

Re: Remington Action Barrel Swap

I am still learning by all means.But the Savage threads their barrels long and uses the barrel nut as a jam nut to be able to adjust headspace for each action.But a Remington the barrel is a tight fit on the shoulder of the barrel.So the only adjustment you have is either taking material off the shoulder or off the tenon.Which will have to be done in a lathe.I don`t know but if you don`t have a action wrench and a barrel vise,by the time you buy these you can pay somebody to do the swap.And if you do have them make sure it is right when you get it on because thousands of an inch at this point is a big deal.

If you had a bunch of barrels fit to an action (rem) and a vice/wrench, you can swap away. Every new barrel will need to be fit to headspace it first.

You can buy a short chambered barrel, action wrench, barrel vise, reamer and gauges...then swap. In the end it is probably cheaper and more precise to have an action trued and threads cut to fit on the rifle and chambered with care by someone who is experienced. JMHO

Whether you can swap barrels on a Remington M700, to headspace correctly is a crapshoot. I'm certain Remington has a tolerance, just depends on when those tolerances stack up in your favor. The more barrels and lugs you have to try the better your chances of getting a combination that works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willoughby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.mcreesprecision.net/rem-age.htm
this kit, a barrel vise & a go -no go gauge
or some just use an empty brass case
</div></div>

Thanks for the tip on this!

A lot of different barrel manufacturers are making switch barrels for the Remington 700 by using the barrel nut system that Savage has. Just Google Rem-Age barrels or go to most barrel makers websites. Criterion, Shilen just to name a few. Look for Remington prefits in their offerings. A new barrel, barrel nut, action wrench, barrel nut wrench, vise and go & no go gauges and you are ready to go.