• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington Bolt Change

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
I have a stainless 700 short action with “standard” bolt face. I wish to exchange the bolt for a 223 rifle project. PTG offers a bolt. Big box store has these in stock. No specifics other than basic application. PTG takes orders for these asking specific receiver dimension. Please advise

Yes it will work. The bolts will require some massaging, but your 'smith will do that when installing a barrel.

Ensure you get the correct firing pin setup as some dont fit as a dropin. Gretan as an exmple. The bolt shroud needs a bit of clearance. They are also my go-to option.

Reactions: SporterII and FuhQ
And don't forget you will need a new magazine follower. I'm also not sure if the feed rails will be too wide going from .308 Win sized cartridges down to the .223... You might end up having to go with a DBM setup that uses AICS style mags.

Reactions: SporterII
DBM is being used. Feed ramp has a .125” “notch” removed for longer oal. “standard” 308 based stuff.
I have seen these listed assembled. Original bolt handle treatment shown though. Not sure if it’s a correct representation.

Reactions: FuhQ
PTG takes orders for these asking specific receiver dimension. Please advise
Not sure what you're asking, but...
When ordering a custom bolt/bolt body from PTG you need to spec the desired bolt OD.
You need gage pins to determine the smallest ID of the receiver bolt raceway (they usually vary by one or two thou over their length), then order the desired diameter based on the clearance desired. Bench gun? minimal clearance. Hunting/tactical that might see some shit get into the receiver raceway- more clearance. Cerakoting? Add for additional clearance.

If you have a telescoping gage and a mike, you can probably get close enough using that instead of gage pins.

If you're going this route take it to a local smith that should have the gage pins to check this for you easy-peasy. Buying them to use for one receiver would be pricey.

Reactions: SporterII
I have a stainless 700 short action with “standard” bolt face. I wish to exchange the bolt for a 223 rifle project. PTG offers a bolt. Big box store has these in stock. No specifics other than basic application. PTG takes orders for these asking specific receiver dimension. Please advise
Order a new replacement bolt from Mack Bros.
They make super quality bolts for Rem 700 actions including .223 bolt face.
The .223 size bolt face is not listed on their website but they make them.

I would send my money there 100 times faster than PT&G.

./

All I see at Mack is complete bolt assemblies.
I'm no fan of PTG, but when all I need is a custom bolt body I'll get it from them, and send to to Accu-Tig for the handle work.
Even with the M16 extractor conversion still a hell of a lot less coin than $325 for a complete new bolt I don't need where I can swap over all the other parts.

All I see at Mack is complete bolt assemblies.
I'm no fan of PTG, but when all I need is a custom bolt body I'll get it from them, and send to to Accu-Tig for the handle work.
Even with the M16 extractor conversion still a hell of a lot less coin than $325 for a complete new bolt I don't need where I can swap over all the other parts.
Mack bolts share zero parts commonality with Rem 700 bolts. . . . but I view that as a good thing.
Bayonet style striker assembly removal.
Crazy smart and very effective extractor design.
Integrally machined bolt handle boss for primary extraction.
Proper bolt to receiver clearance for very slick cycling and reliability when running dirty.
Excellent cam angles on the primary extraction boss and bolt lugs.

All of these variances from the Remington OEM bolt but will run perfectly in a Rem 700 receiver.

By the time the OP gets a PTG bolt body, finds a new OEM or similar R700 compatible bolt handle, TIGS handle on, add multiple shipping legs and then puts some type of finish on the assembly the cumulative price will be close to or equal to a complete MacBros.

./

Mack bolts share zero parts commonality with Rem 700 bolts. . . . but I view that as a good thing.
Bayonet style striker assembly removal.
Crazy smart and very effective extractor design.
Integrally machined bolt handle boss for primary extraction.
Proper bolt to receiver clearance for very slick cycling and reliability when running dirty.
Excellent cam angles on the primary extraction boss and bolt lugs.

All of these variances from the Remington OEM bolt but will run perfectly in a Rem 700 receiver.

By the time the OP gets a PTG bolt body, finds a new OEM or similar R700 compatible bolt handle, TIGS handle on, add multiple shipping legs and then puts some type of finish on the assembly the cumulative price will be close to or equal to a complete MacBros.

./
When someone like Terry Cross speaks just listen.

Reactions: E. Bryant
I checked and PTG has significantly raised the price of the custom bolt body since I last purchased one.
Now, the cost difference is relatively insignificant at about $50- a year ago it would have been over $100.

I checked and PTG has significantly raised the price of the custom bolt body since I last purchased one.
Now, the cost difference is relatively insignificant at about $50- a year ago it would have been over $100.
Mack Bros= good folks deeply involved in our industry

PTG = Douchbags that seem to fuck in every other order

No matter the price I’m supporting good people in our industry.

Reactions: jetmd
I see they offer a complete action , Mack that is. I’m This is interesting as my existing action runs so well, it’s a very happy assembly.

"There are two types of firearms enthusiasts: Those who have been fucked by PTG and those who will be."

That is a quote from someone who used to frequent this forum. I don't remember who it was but IMHO no truer words have ever been spoken.

Caveat Emptor

Sporterll:

If by chance you want your existing bolt/face modified for a different size cartridge, I offer a service that can help you. We'll need your stuff for about two weeks. So long as you understand it's a "bell" you don't get to unring were golden. -Simply to mean you don't get to go from .390"dia to .545" and then someday change it back to .390", .480, .450", etc. . . It's a one-way street.

Easy stuff and were happy to help.

Last edited: