• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington Bolt question.

sormi

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2006
Austin Tx.
I've got a .223 action just sitting around. I'm going to put a 300wsm barrel on it. Now, about the bolt. Can it be turned to accommodate the larger case? Will I need a new extractor or a new bolt?

Thanks.

Re: Remington Bolt question.

You can have the bolt opened up but you will need an M-16 style or Sako style extractor installed.

223 Remington Dimensions

300 WSM Dimensions

From a cursory glance, it appears that your bolt face would have to be opened up, thereby necessitating moving the extractor. Both the length and neck size of the 300 are bigger than the 223, so opening up the chamber would work there.

I think it should be a workable situation. Just remember your information is worth exactly what you paid for it.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

223 Remington Dimensions

300 WSM Dimensions

From a cursory glance, it appears that your bolt face would have to be opened up, thereby necessitating moving the extractor. Both the length and neck size of the 300 are bigger than the 223, so opening up the chamber would work there.

I think it should be a workable situation. Just remember your information is worth exactly what you paid for it.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I hope you're not suggesting he try and re-chambering a .223 to 300 WSM. Because that would be one neat trick trying to squirt a .30 cal bullet down a .22 cal hole.

Neat trick indeed.

The OP stated he had a .223 action and a .300 WSM barrel he was going to mate. I was just looking at numbers and agreed that it would be possible, but there would be a lot of work involved. I should have stated that the chambers are drastically different between the two, not that it could be opened up.

There's a reason you're the 'smith and I just pull the trigger. Thanks for the correction.
smile.gif

rather than doing all of the work on the bolt you could always
buy a new one that has all of the bells and whistles-sako extractor,fluted bolt,threaded bolt handle and speedlock firing pin etc probrably for around the same money pacific tools has some good stuff