• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington brass worth keeping?

22lfb

lang für büchse
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2021
Kraut
So, first of all: I am not reloading. But eventually i want to get the licensing (Europe...) and equipment. So right now i'm collecting my spent brass, for the day when i start loading my own cartridges.

I noticed that .223 Remington Premier Match has weird crimp, i have not seen this on the other manufacturer's brass i've collected so far. Since i know little about this stuff yet, my question is; is it worth to keep this brass? Like, is it just as good to reload as "normal" spent brass or would you ditch it?

remcrim.jpg

[edit] I want to go for precision, not cost saving/quantity if i am going to reload...

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Generally, I have saved all the brass I could find. I just toss them if I see problem with them.
For me, the biggest problem comes to quantity. I want to load big numbers.

If you want to prioritize quality alone, buy lapua brass straight up.

I shoot semi and it is not always possible/reasonable to pick up my brass so I rather not use Lapua for that.

As for the crimp, I think it is not going to ruin the groups. It ain't better than perfect neck but probably evens out pretty fast if it is a matter.

Might as well hold on to them as an option for the future ... never know.
A little brass prep will clean all of that up

You should hold onto it just "in case". Try to keep the same lot number together.

That being said, several years ago I had a lot of trouble with that sort of crimp on some 300 Win Mag brass from Remington ammo. I dont recall what my troubles were but for my precision rifle ammo I used something else. (Norma and Nosler at that time)

I used to load Remington when I first started reloading. I noticed a significant number of flash holes being off center. Switched to Lapua and alpha. Better Brass= better ammo.

I do still have a lot of Remington brass in case I really need it.

Thanks for input, i'll keep it. You'r right, can always throw it out/sell later if there are issues...

If you want to prioritize quality alone, buy lapua brass straight up.

I shoot semi and it is not always possible/reasonable to pick up my brass so I rather not use Lapua for that.

Semiauto here as well. I use a brass catcher (Caldwell) most times, since i'm too lazy to pick up brass.

No issue. Winchester uses that kind of crimp as well. Lee Factory Crimp Dies apply that kind of crimp. It’s ugly to look at tho.

Save it. I've had decent luck trading brass with folks... You might think it undesirable but I would bet there is at least one person out there who would be happy to trade for it because his gun likes it.

Mike