• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington build questions

TSears

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2013
Crestview, Florida
I've got a Remington 700 that I'm looking to start a build on and have a few questions that hopefully you guys will be able to help me out on. These questions may seem dumb to some, but this is all new to me.

First, I'd like to get the action trued and would like recommendations on who to go to for that and how much is an "average" price?

Second, before I get the action trued, do I need to get the barrel I intend on using? Or will that cause an issue later on down the road if I true first and barrel later?

I'm trying to slowly build a rifle and just looking for some "professional" advice before making the wrong turn somewhere along the way. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Get the action trued first. You'll never know how much material is removed from cleaning up the threads, the face of the receiver, internal lugs and the bolt face and bolt nose. You can always get the barrel later, but why unless you're on a budget and need to save up the cash. Most people get most of the parts before going to the gunsmith because it's easier and usually faster that way instead of waiting however long to get the action done, then down the road having to wait however long to get the barrel fitted and so on. The average cost of action work for me has been about $150-250. That is without putting sleeves on the bolt. In most cases I replace the bolt.

Btw, I'm no expert. Does it show?

Last edited:
You won't be able to use the existing barrel once the action is trued. The new barrel needs to be fitted to the action which has changed dimensionally after truing. Something to consider if you want don't want to sit on a useless action while waiting for cash for a barrel and barrel fitting.

Gene is correct about the current or factory barrel not fitting unless there is enough length on the breech end in order to cut back for the new tenon. I was under the assumption that you were looking at a new barrel blank.

Thanks for the insight so far guys. And to mention a few things I didn't previously, this is/will be a budget build. I'm a LEO and most know we don't get paid like we should, hence why it's on a budget. I've already got a donor action and just looking to get things done as I go.

With that in mind, who would you guys suggest for action truing?

If you are going to have the action trued, it only makes sense to have a new barrel fitted and chambered at the same time. If nothing else, it will save you shipping costs.

The rest, stock, trigger, optics, can be done as your budget allows.

It will be difficult to find a better price for quality work than the group buy from Long Rifles Inc., mentioned above.

Thanks again guys for all the help! I just came across another deal and now have both right and left handed R700's. Now I just need to figure out barrels and then most likely going to send one or both to Chad. You guys were a big help!!