• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Buying Marlin?

Hostile Natured

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Australia
I was looking at buying a Marlin Model 1895SBL (just for a bit of fun)

I have read a few reviews saying that the new Marlin's being made after the Remington take over are really poor quality.

Has anybody bought or owned this particular model, or any thoughts in general on the subject.

Thanks,

Last edited:
yeah it's true, finish isnt' great and Remington seem to have a complete inability to drill straight holes in the right spot. For instance one thing with mine the front sight has 4 holes drilled in the barrel, trying to mount it and it's still not straight. Otherwise it functions fine.

I was looking at buying a Marlin Model 1895SBL (just for a bit of fun)

I have read a few reviews saying that the new Marlin's being made after the Remington take over are really poor quality.

Has anybody bought or owned this particular model, or any thoughts in general on the subject.

Thanks,

The SBL is a copy of the Wild West Guns gun. I would buy and use the SBL any day over WWG but that is me knowing both. Its a great firearm if you like and prefer lever guns. Loaded with Buffalo Bore or Grizzly loads, its a hand full on both ends. Short, nimble and quick. I have not seen much drop off in quality since the take over, others disagree but I move quite of lot of Marlins and no more customer complaints these days Vs 10 years ago. Some times one slips by and we all hear about it but that holds true to any manufacture. I have seen some firearms that you just cannot believe passed QC the way they show up and most of them are not from Remington, but its vogue this days to bash Remington.

The post-Remington 1895s I've seen appear to be of lesser quality than my pre-Remington 1895 but I haven't shot one. The easiest way to tell the differance between the two is that post Remingtons don't have the traditional "bullseye" in the buttstock ...

The overall quality has definitely dropped since the Remington take over. On the three I've bought since the overall quality definitely isn't what it is on the older ones. Also all three of them the machining for the rear sight is too large. On the model 60 I bought if you tilt it to the side it will just fall out. The other were loose enough they would walk out while shooting. All three of them function fine and shoot well enough though but I still prefer my old JM 1895G, and 336's over the new stuff.

Others have reported far worse problems with the new guns but luckily I haven't experienced anything truly bad. I planned to scope all three of the remington ones so while it was bullshit, it wasn't a major problem for me.

I have a 1895g made pre Remington take over and a 336bl made post Remington take over. My 1895's action was smooth from the start, but I had to really break in my 336. Also my 336 rear sight was a bit crooked, but I thru some truglo sights on there so it wasn't really and issue for me. Besides that, they both shoot straight and i've had no malfunctions. I have to say tho, Ill take the straight stock on the guide gun over the pistol grip style on the SBL any day.