• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington factory triggers bad?

Beef Curtain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I guess I must be missing something. I have 700 Sendero and an AAC-SD and I think the triggers are great. I can adjust the weight of pull on my Sendero way down. Both triggers have almost no creep. I just don't understand the hype behind aftermarket triggers. Why are the $200 better?

Re: Remington factory triggers bad?

If it works and you are happy with it, then keep it. Some folks hate X mark triggers but the two have are on the money for me.

I had a x mark and kinda liked it. After alittle looking on here I got me a timney 510 and boy was I amazed when I first pulled the trigger It's night and day. Like I said the you may think the x mark is good like I did till you try a timmney.

xmarks are junk, old style Remingtons are good if you get them worked on. aftermarket triggers are good if you want to replace the older or the xmark trigger and be able to do the adjustments and get no creep and a crisp pull. this can be had on the older Remingtons but they need to be worked on for that to happen.

I say that xmarks are junk because thats what they are made of. mim parts and the adjustability is crap. if you want it 5lbs they you are fine out of the box. you can not file or tweek an xmark by working on it. for some reason remington will not put a decent trigger into their rifles. an extra $5.00 into the cost would solve this conversation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a x mark and kinda liked it. After alittle looking on here I got me a timney 510 and boy was I amazed when I first pulled the trigger It's night and day. Like I said the you may think the x mark is good like I did till you try a timmney. </div></div>

This is what I was thinking, so my best bet is to never try one!
grin.gif

I would not call it hype, you really have to pull the triggers side by side to notice the difference. I am positive a good smith can stone a factory Remmy trigger to break perfectly. Just that the difference between an older remmy and the Timney is remarkable. Also most mechanically inclined folks can install the Timney at home.

As for the Xmark, I just dont like the feel. The tip of your finger is a very sensitive, enough that blind folks can read with them. To me a smooth narrow shoe just doent "feel" right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a x mark and kinda liked it. After alittle looking on here I got me a timney 510 and boy was I amazed when I first pulled the trigger It's night and day. Like I said the you may think the x mark is good like I did till you try a timmney. </div></div>
yep that about sums it up. Once you get use to a good trigger there is no going back

I've had both the old and new x mark Remington factory triggers. I replaced the old style with a Jewell trigger and tuned it to 10 oz. with no creep. I haven't replaced the x mark yet, but I think I'm going to go with the Timney that's listed in the midway link above. I run a 2 lb. Timney on my AR and the x mark is a joke in comparison. The pull weight doesn't seem to be consistent either. Even if you're ok with a 5 lb trigger pull, I don't think the pull is consistent from shot to shot....of course this is what I feel. I've never used a gauge to check for inconsistencies. Either way I've never been a fan of "factory" triggers on any gun since feeling the difference a good trigger makes.

The older Remington factory triggers (approx pre 1980) were excellent triggers. Until lawyers Fucked that up for shooters. I have had the olders triggers adjust down to a Crisp 1lb.

I have no problems with the X-Mark and will not upgrade it, the only thing that I have done is to add skate board tape to the trigger surface so that my trigger finger has memory. I cannot stand a smooth surface on the trigger face. If it works and your MOA is tight leave it.

I think it's all in perspective. Considering the trigger is your last input into the shot, you really don't realize how important a good one is till you've shot one. Like most others, I like the old Remington/40x which can be worked to a reasonable level. I've found the XMark Pro to be gimmicky and inconsistent. Plus, with large fingers I really dislike feeling the set screw. CKruse

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunderstorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I must be missing something. I have 700 Sendero and an AAC-SD and I think the triggers are great. I can adjust the weight of pull on my Sendero way down. Both triggers have almost no creep. I just don't understand the hype behind aftermarket triggers. Why are the $200 better? </div></div>

IMO you need to shoot a good trigger to feel what you are missing. The X-Mark Pro is not a terrible trigger it's just not a good trigger. By good I mean safe, light, crisp repeatable. I'm pretty sure the X-Mark Pro triggers are safe but that is the reason they are not generally light crisp and repeatable.

I've shot with untouched stock old Remingtons, well tuned light old Remingtons, adjusted first gen X-Mark Pro, Jewell, Rifle Basix and 2-stage Huber Concept triggers and they are all a bit different in feel and function.

If you are familar with 2-stage trigger look no farther then the 2-stage Huber Concepts triggers they have an incredibly smooth low friction trigger pull with great feel (which is to say there is none just a zero friction movement to breaking) and a very clean release. If a 2-stage is not your cup of tea then IMO Jewell is the way to go, light and break instantly. In terms of shooting I like the 2-stage Huber and 1-stage Jewells the best. Rifle Basix is no better or worse than a well tuned old factory Reminigton trigger because it's basically a factory trigger produced to closer tolorances using better materials and finished off to your specs.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.midwayusa.com/product/544257/...lb-to-4-lb-blue

this is what I run on rifles with xmark. these can be had much cheaper if you look around.</div></div>

Will the flat fit inside a factory Remington trigger guard? I'm definitely in the market for a trigger soon for my 700 sps tac and I'm kinda intrigued by the straight one.

Benchrest shooters (formal, organized by NBRSA) have long used older Remington triggers that have been tuned to 2 oz. weight. With the popularity of Shilen and Jewell triggers though these old modified triggers are becoming a thing of the past.