• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington LTR accuracy issues with 175g…..168g are Ok.

Carlos0311B4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2007
Arizona
I have a Rem LTR w/ 20” barrel in a KRG X-Ray, Timney 3lb trigger that I can shoot consistent 3/4 moa groups out to 300meters (330yards) with. I haven’t shot it past 300m with this one yet. I just got it last week. Torque of action bolts is 55in lbs. Nightforce steel base. Vortex pro rings, PST G2 3-15x.

I’m having accuracy issues with 175g bullets. Last week when I was zeroing I shot a few groups with 175FGMM all were just under 2” at 100m. Luckily I took a few boxes of ammo with or I would of been crying like a little girl. At first I thought it was me. Then I shot a few with 168g FGMM all we’re 3/4” or better. Shot 1 group with 180g accubond 1.25”.

Shot 2 groups at 300m 2” and 2.5” with the 168g

Came home rechecked everything, nothing was lose and crown looks ok to me. dry fired like hell for a few days and went back this morning.

I only shot at 300m today with diferent ammo. 155g Hornady steel match and 118LR (175g). The 155g 3 groups just under 3” and 1, 3.25”. Shot 2 groups with the 175g 6” and 7”

I shot them all blind-ish on different targets. 2 with the 155, 1 with the 175 then checked the targets. Those are the groups I shot. The barrel twist is a 1-10 (90% sure).

I have not adjusted torque but not sure where to go next other than stick with 155-168g bullets. Has anyone else had similar issues? If so any advice would be appreciated on a remedy for the 175g.

It is most likely a 1:12 twist barrel. Sometimes they don’t shoot the 175s very well due to marginal stability in the slower twist barrel. Do you reload? What are your realistic distance goals for the rifle?

The Remington LTR's came from the factory with 1:12 twist barrels standard. The 168's will be your best bet, but I would try the Berger or Federal ammo loaded with the Berger 175 OTM's. The OTM bullets were made for the AR platforms which are normally a 1:12 or 1:11.5 twist.

Also, Serria does have a 169 that may work out for you as well, but you will have to load them yourself since no one is making ammo with them yet.

Well I’m feeling sofa king we Todd did. I could of sworn the LTR was 1-10. I’m not sure why I didn’t check that.

No, I don’t reload anymore. Realistic range? The main range I shoot at is 500meters but have access to a range that goes to a mile. I LL have to check but I think it will keep 168g Hornady supersonic to 850m

Last edited:
Most recent LTR's are 1:10.

I have an older 1:12. It took about 80-100 rounds until it tightened up on me. Don't know how much was the shooter tightening up vs barrel, but it didn't like the 175's either until it had a few hundred through it. Now it shoots both well.

My suggestion... a good cleaning and someone to evaluate your fundamentals to eliminate shooter.

Keep us updated.

I’ve been doing a bit more research on it. I’ve seen both 10 and 12 twist. Stupid Remington.

I’ve also had two other 700p’s that shot the 175s just fine. And those were 1-12 for sure.

Lost_phil, are the OTM’s you’re talking about the 185g juggernaut? Berger’s twist calculator said the 12 is marginal.

I’ll shoot a few 100 threw it and see if it settles down. If not 155 and 168 are fine for what I’m doing. I’m planning on a couple of local matches next year, I think max range on these are 700y.

5pins, yeah that’s what I did.

308Gunner, it’s shoots 168SMK and AMAX pretty decent. My issue is I have a couple hundred 175s, 118LR and FGMM. Doesn’t like either one bit. 2MOA-ish kind of sucks.

Now I’m scratching my head a bit. Checked twist rate with a Dewy rod got 1-11, 3 times and 1-11.5 once so 1-11. I haven’t seen anything on the LTR with a 1-11. It’s a 6 grove barrel.

Wonder if a EC toner will help?