• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington LTR or 5R

Re: Remington LTR or 5R

I think that a lot more details are needed... like what you plan to do with it. .223 is a little light for deer hunting, but much cheaper to fire for paper punching.

And then there is range. 308 for the longer ranges where the 223 gets eaten up by wind and barely has the power to go the distance. Really, these calibers are so different, it is hard to imagine not being able to determine which is best based on you your plans.

What are your plans/ needs for the rifle? Let the needs dictate the gun, not the other way around.

I don't know which one is best, but I just bought a Rem 700 XCR Compact in .223. The XCR Compact is the "new" LTR; except is has a coated 20" fluted stainless barrel and action, 40x trigger, and B&C stock instead of a H-S, and costs more of course.....

I do have a LTR in .308, but when shopping for a bolt .223 I could not find any .223 LTR's so I bought the XCR Compact instead.

As to the LTR vs the 5R, if you have to hump the rifle more than a few hundred feet, get the LTR. The 5R runs at least 1 1/2 lbs more.....But I'm old and slow, the weight diff. might not mean much to you.

YMMV,

Bob

BTW: We got huntable yotes in NC???? I've called in foxes and bobcats, but no yotes yet in east central NC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that a lot more details are needed... like what you plan to do with it. .223 is a little light for deer hunting, but much cheaper to fire for paper punching.

And then there is range. 308 for the longer ranges where the 223 gets eaten up by wind and barely has the power to go the distance. Really, these calibers are so different, it is hard to imagine not being able to determine which is best based on you your plans.

What are your plans/ needs for the rifle? Let the needs dictate the gun, not the other way around. </div></div>

Carter,

The Rem 700 5R is available in 223. I think the poster was talking about a .223 LTR vs a .223 5R.

Bob

That is right, I have a two customs for deer hunting in .280AI and 25-06. I don't shoot to punch paper as I have no real range to go do that, just one good enough for sighting in my guns. I would use it for predator/varmint hunting. I like the extra weight and stability of the heavier barreled guns but want the shortest compact barrel I can find that meets my needs. I know the LTR and SPS Tactical are 20" and the 5R is 24". I'm just wondering if the 5R would be more accurate than the rest because of the barrel.

I like the SPS, for the money it's a great rifle. In the .308 cal. it will shoot 1/2" groups pretty easy with Fed. Gold Match ammo and even better with handloads. (100 yards)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncyotecaller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is right, I have a two customs for deer hunting in .280AI and 25-06. I don't shoot to punch paper as I have no real range to go do that, just one good enough for sighting in my guns. I would use it for predator/varmint hunting. I like the extra weight and stability of the heavier barreled guns but want the shortest compact barrel I can find that meets my needs. I know the LTR and SPS Tactical are 20" and the 5R is 24". I'm just wondering if the 5R would be more accurate than the rest because of the barrel. </div></div>

NCyote,

Here's a novel approach, buy the 5R and have a smith cut and recrown the barrel to whatever length (say 22", or the magic 21 3/4", or 20", or whatever your wanting). The 5R has the better stock, and a better barrel than the SPS. The only thing the LTR and XCR compact have going for them is lighter weight via the fluted barrel. If weight is not the concern then buy the 5R and have it cut for your length. Shortening a Heavy Barrel usually improves accuracy or doesn't hurt it.

Having a 5R barrel cut is cheaper than buying a new stock for a SPS. Life's too short to worry about the small stuff.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that a lot more details are needed... like what you plan to do with it. .223 is a little light for deer hunting, but much cheaper to fire for paper punching.

What are your plans/ needs for the rifle? Let the needs dictate the gun, not the other way around. </div></div>

Carter,

The Rem 700 5R is available in 223. I think the poster was talking about a .223 LTR vs a .223 5R.

Bob</div></div>

Oops... I was reading it as .223 vs. .308. My bad.

The 5R cut would be a great option! Let me ask what might be a dumb question, can a fluted barrel be cut, crowned and used like that. I may be able to get a Remington VSSF in .223 but I don't like the fact that the barrel is 26". I have never seen or heard of being able to cut down a fluted barrel but I thought I would ask!

ncyote,

I would think a fluted barrel can be cut, I mean a barrel is a barrel, flutes or not? I might look a bit funny, a the muzzle end, but who cares, really.

The VSSF .223 is a 1-12 twist barrel. The 5R, LTR, and XCR are all 1-9 twist barrels. Don't know if that difference is important to you.

Bob

Yea it would look a little funny! Yea I would mostly shoot lighter weight stuff so th 1/12" would be ok. I could always get the VSSF and put a 5R barrel on it and I would already have the H.S stock that came with the VSSF. Another thing the VSSF probably wouldn't have a J-Lock on it so that is one less thing to change out.

I have a .308 5R, and it will shoot the lights out. So will most LTR's.

LTR- 20" bbl is cooler, better finish, lighter.
5R- cleans really fast.

I'd go w/ LTR if I were choosing between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncyotecaller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be nice for Remington to offer a 5R with a matte finish as an option. </div></div>

I'd still take the LTR over the 5R if they had the same finish.

For me, the 24" barrel is just four more inches of unnecessary weight for .223 & .308

Not bashing the 5R, I love mine. LTR is just more suited to my tastes.

Hey guys, I have a 5R .223 note of interest.

I have one of these and I was so looking forward to shooting the 69g bullets. Well, it grouped like poop with them. I was ready to make a call to Remington when I ran a few Federal factory 50gr HPs through it. It did fairly well with them.

I have not checked yet, but I believe my rifle may have a slower twist than 1/9".

FWIW- I have LTR's in 308 and 223. The little gun throws 52gr SMK's crazy good. Its scary accurate. Now if I could only get my daughter to let me shoot it...........