• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington M24/700 trigger is hard to safety

lockedandloaded

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2004
NY
700 trigger in an M24 has out of spec safety pull. My gauge only reads to 8#, and its way over that. I've taken 700 triggers apart before, so thats no issue. I just want to know which part needs to be inspected to cause this defect. Thx

I just seperated the stock & reciever. It's stock interference. Not sure why it only appears when going safe.

Lighter fluid flush is spilling a lot of graphite powder. The pins & screws all have deep stake punches, so wont be disassembling. My guess is at one point an inspection employee caught this safety lever hanging up, and the protocol repair was powdered graphite. I've discovered some bright spots on the aluminum bedding block where the safety lever arm may have interference.

Lighter fluid flush is spilling a lot of graphite powder. The pins & screws all have deep stake punches, so wont be disassembling. My guess is at one point an inspection employee caught this safety lever hanging up, and the protocol repair was powdered graphite. I've discovered some bright spots on the aluminum bedding block where the safety lever arm may have interference.
Is the rifle stock the factory issued HS Precision or B&C stock?

Remove the barreled action from the host stock.
Actuate the safety lever back and forth.
If it continues to bind and have excessive travel, the issue is with the safety lever interface with the trigger housing.

If it move freely with no bind, then the issue is with the stock clearance.

If the space conflict only appears at the rearward position of the safety, it is simply due to the lack of clearance only at that point in the arc of movement.

Reactions: lockedandloaded
This is a factory HS stock. There is a pocket machined into the aluminum bedding block for the safety lever. It had a small area that was interfering with the lever, but only when you moved it rearword into the safety position, not when moving it forward to the fire position. Thats why I assumed it was binding inside the trigger pack. After taking apart the rcv'r from stock it went away. Some light file work clearanced it properly. It was mostly from that newer sprayed on stock finish that has a rougher texture than the older original finish. Its a thicker coat. Thx