• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington M24 info

badkarma1985

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2008
Fort Lauderdale,FL USA
I am looking to buy a Remington M24 and am undecided about the caliber. I was looking into ordering it chambered in 300 winmag. Just trying to see if anyone has had any hands on exprience with the gun in both calibers that can give me their opinion.

Re: Remington M24 info

I assume the other caliber you're talking about is .308 Win AKA 7.62X51 mm.

The M24 is built on a Remington 700 long action, and can be chambered in either caliber.

The U.S. Army is currently converting many of their existing M24s to .300 Win Mag, so it's a capable platform in that caliber as well. However, I think most of those conversions are going into an AI chassis system rather than retaining the stock.

Since you ask the question, I'd recommend that you start with it in .308. It's a lot cheaper to shoot and barrel life is longer than .300 WM. Later you can convert it to .300 WM if you feel the need.

Personally, I'd go with down rather than up from there, to .260 Remington or .243, but that's your choice.

Thank you for the feedback. Havent really looked into the .260 or .243. I dont do any reloading so I will probably stick to either the 308 or 300

IMO 300 vs 308 comes down to if you have the yardage to justify the 300 and are you willing to bear the added cost of ammo wether shooting factory or reloading the 300 is still more expensive.

Having said all that I'm a big fan of the 300 and feel its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume the other caliber you're talking about is .308 Win AKA 7.62X51 mm.

The M24 is built on a Remington 700 long action, and can be chambered in either caliber.

The U.S. Army is currently converting many of their existing M24s to .300 Win Mag, so it's a capable platform in that caliber as well. However, I think most of those conversions are going into an AI chassis system rather than retaining the stock.

Since you ask the question, I'd recommend that you start with it in .308. It's a lot cheaper to shoot and barrel life is longer than .300 WM. Later you can convert it to .300 WM if you feel the need.

Personally, I'd go with down rather than up from there, to .260 Remington or .243, but that's your choice.

</div></div>
+1

+1 for the 7.62...it'll teach you how to shoot and it's cheaper= more range time! I got my M24 in a AI 2.0 and I love it! It has a badger recoil lug and I'm now prepping it for a duracoat finish in Blackhawk coyote tan and matte black. Try to get it as a SWS. It's nice haveing all the extra hardware.

regards,

Kinnamon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for the 7.62...it'll teach you how to shoot and it's cheaper= more range time! I got my M24 in a AI 2.0 and I love it! It has a badger recoil lug and I'm now prepping it for a duracoat finish in Blackhawk coyote tan and matte black. Try to get it as a SWS. It's nice haveing all the extra hardware.

regards,

Kinnamon </div></div>

What are you using for mags......assuming you are running 7.62x51.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO 300 vs 308 comes down to if you have the yardage to justify the 300 and are you willing to bear the added cost of ammo wether shooting factory or reloading the 300 is still more expensive.

Having said all that I'm a big fan of the 300 and feel its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have YMMV. </div></div>

I feel the same as you as far as the 300 goes. I ordered the gun chambered in it yesterday. Thank you all for your opionons.