• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington M40 barrel brush "feel"

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I've already stated how much I've wanted this particular rifle and finally got one the other day. I Love it!!! It shoots as good as or better than anything I've shot to date. Here's my "issue":
When I brought it home from the first range outing yesterday I decided I'd clean the bore. (I don't usually do this very often). I noticed when I ran a wet nylon brush down the bore it felt like it was tighter or rougher in a couple places including near the chamber. I use the "feel" of the rod to decide if a bore is clean or still dirty. The rod seemed to be harder to push or pull in certain areas in the bore. I looked at the bore from both ends and it doesn't appear to be dirty anywhere. No rough looking areas. It looks shiney from end to end. There are also no noticeable bulges and like I said... it's a shooter. Any idea what this might be? or am I just being too anal about it. Or do all new rifles feel this way. When I run a brush through my 5R it feels smooth from end to end.

Important to note: This rifle was made in 2006 I believe and has been in someone's safe since then. The PO never shot it.

Re: Remington M40 barrel brush "feel"

Well, it is a factory barrel so there are probably some tool marks in the barrel that are gripping the patch. I am sure that once you get about 100-150 rounds through it it will smooth out for you. It was the same way with my Sako TRG when I first got it. After about 100 rounds it became easy to run a patch through. Up until then though it took some muscle!

-shadow4

Proper break in is essential... get around 200 rounds down range and report back !

Don't even get me started about "Break-in"! I'll definitely run at least a couple hundred rounds thru it before I even begin to think about cleaning it again!

How many rounds have been fired already and how did you fire them? How often did you clean in the 1st 20 rounds?

Around 60 rounds... Fired them by placing them in the receiver (pointy end toward target), closing the bolt, aiming at the target and pulling the trigger! Cleaned it when I got home...
smile.gif

Break-in is a SCAM!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Break-in is a SCAM! </div></div>

+1

I guess everyone has different beliefs about breaking in a barrel... There is a difference between running a few patches through to get the crud out and a thorough cleaning, Maybe I was misunderstood... I don't brush often but I run a few patches through about every 50 unless I'm in a match and then I just let her rip..

I posted this in your other thread as well, but try a brush one caliber smaller and wrap it around the brush.... I've been trying to use just patches and jags as of late with pretty good results.... May also want to try the nylon brushes....

Wild Bill, I find that using a relatively worn brush in calibre, wrapped thusly with a patch, also works well as you suggest.

I believe a little JB Paste, judiciously applied, can ease that rough condition too.

I agree on the break in racket: I go easy at first with a new rifle but no more than that. My lack of a break in orthodoxy hasn't been noticed in the accuracy dept.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess everyone has different beliefs about breaking in a barrel... There is a difference between running a few patches through to get the crud out and a thorough cleaning, Maybe I was misunderstood... I don't brush often but I run a few patches through about every 50 unless I'm in a match and then I just let her rip.. </div></div> Sorry to be a little harsh about break-in. Actually you may be interested to know that an article written by Gail (not sure I spelled that right) McMillan was what tipped the scale and convinced me it was a scam!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I posted this in your other thread as well, but try a brush one caliber smaller and wrap it around the brush.... I've been trying to use just patches and jags as of late with pretty good results.... May also want to try the nylon brushes....</div></div> Thanks, I'll try that... Actually, I did use a nylon brush.