• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington M40 mod for Winchester floor plate?

Heatseeker

Private
Minuteman
Hello again all ... I'm just starting a Remington short action build in .223 and am pondering what I want to do for a mag system.

What I don't want is the woeful Remington 700 alloy floor plate.

There are a few DM systems availabe in .223 and one is being developed here in Australia, but I was wondering about how hard it would be to install the Winchester M70 floor plate, which would give the rifle a nice clean line, and banish the prospect of me losing a mag!

Looking at the M40A1 build guide, the trigger needs to be modded and mag box welded in to place, but are there and mods needed to the floor plate?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Remington M40 mod for Winchester floor plate?

Modifying a Winchester M70 fllorplate/triggerguard assembly to fit the 700 Remington (like in the M40A1) can be a real PITA when compared to installing the Williams bottom metal.

Terry Cross told me, after building my M40A1 clone back in 2000/2001, that mine would probably be the last Win. M70 bottom metal conversion that he'd ever do. The Williams is that much easier!