• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington m700p big problems

kickinneon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2008
Eastern kentucky
I was out shooting my Remington 700p in a .300wm today. I shot it 17 times and on the 18th shot the firing pin shot out of the bolt and hit my thumb and took a big hunk of skin with it. the bullet was still in the brass and a hole in the primer and the primer was pressed out of the pocket a little bit. I took the bolt out and pressed on the firing pin and it popped back in. I inspected everything and all looked good I put it back in dry fired it and it snapped. So i pull another bullet in the gun and held down on the gun and fired it. It shot perfect. So i shot it again and the firing pin shot out again.

What could be the problem with the rifle. The gun has been shot less then 80 times.

Re: Remington m700p big problems

How in the hell does a firing pin come out of the bolt by itself ?

You had a hole in the primer ,but still a bullet ?

Pretty hard to believe.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kickinneon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot it 17 times and on the 18th shot the firing pin shot out of the bolt and hit my thumb and took a big hunk of skin with it. So i shot it again and the firing pin shot out again. </div></div>

crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Are you referring to the firing pin shroud on the back portion of the bolt popping out??? Did you try taking the bolt assembly apart and inspecting the internals. Maybe a spring is broken on the inside??? Never seen/heard that happening so Im not too sure myself. Maybe someone with more expertise will be able to answer.

I don`t quiet understand exactly what you are saying?Can you take some pics of what you are saying on how the firing pin come out.I don`t see how it hit your thumb?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How in the hell does a firing pin come out of the bolt by itself ?

Pretty hard to believe.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Yes the primer has a hole in it. The silver pin inside of the black bolt shot out and hit my thumb and took a big hunk of skin with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you referring to the firing pin shroud on the back portion of the bolt popping out??? Did you try taking the bolt assembly apart and inspecting the internals. Maybe a spring is broken on the inside??? Never seen/heard that happening so Im not too sure myself. Maybe someone with more expertise will be able to answer. </div></div>

It was just the silver pin that shot out. I have not took it apart as Its going back to Remington next week. I called Remington/my gunsmith/ Hornady / and a couple of other local gun people and they all said they have never heard of seen that happen.

If the bolt shround came apart it's broke. You pushed it back together. Shot it again ? Put it away and find a gunsmith ASAP .
crazy.gif

crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kickinneon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How in the hell does a firing pin come out of the bolt by itself ?

Pretty hard to believe.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Yes the primer has a hole in it. The silver pin inside of the black bolt shot out and hit my thumb and took a big hunk of skin with it. </div></div>

Ok now im really confused.. The firing pin would not be able to pop out and strike your thumb. The firing pin is connected to the bolt shroud, and the shroud is threaded to the bolt assembly.

bolt.jpg

Id say its either a internal spring or the threading is jacked. Im sure Remington will fix the issue

This is not my rifle. But here is a pic of a Remington 700. the arrow is point at the peace that shot out of it.

Img_4200.jpg

Reading this, I'm just as confused as everyone else, but it is possible the pin holding the cocking piece to the FP is broken? So, when the FP hits the primer, the remaining spring pressure pushes the cocking piece out.

koobs... has quicker thumbs and beat me to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you talking about the cocking piece that's held in by the small cross pin? http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#boltacc </div></div>

Even that part is connected to the firing pin with a small pin... Maybe that pin broke??? </div></div>

If the pin was broke why would it shoot again perfect and then mess up again. Its pushing the pin threw the primer and letting the gases come out case threw the hole in the primer from the firing pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, sounds like the cross pin broke, shooting the cocking piece back out of the shroud. </div></div>

Now we are getting some where.

Like I said it's broke . Find a smith ASAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting handloads ?

</div></div>
nope factory hornady 180gn sst interlock

Must have been a defective pin for it to break that fast...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, sounds like the cross pin broke, shooting the cocking piece back out of the shroud. </div></div>

Now we are getting some where.

Like I said it's broke . Find a smith ASAP. </div></div>

its finding Remington next week. This is not the only problem Ive had with the rifle. I put a 20moa base on it and the action was not right. i had to shim the back of base to get the scope sighted in at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kickinneon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you talking about the cocking piece that's held in by the small cross pin? http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#boltacc </div></div>

Even that part is connected to the firing pin with a small pin... Maybe that pin broke??? </div></div>

If the pin was broke why would it shoot again perfect and then mess up again. Its pushing the pin threw the primer and letting the gases come out case threw the hole in the primer from the firing pin. </div></div>

Not too sure.. Never heard this happen before but I assume its the pin. When you get it back from Remington let us know what they said was wrong.

Glad you didn't hurt more that you did.

I'm curious .... How old is the rifle ? I've heard ALOT of troubles with new Rems lately.

I'm still not shore if it broke my thumb or not. I went to the doc to get x-rays but it was to late. told me to ether go to the hospital or come back tomorrow. my thumb has a big hunk about the size of an eraser missing and all swelled up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotgun4fur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you didn't hurt more that you did.

I'm curious .... How old is the rifle ? I've heard ALOT of troubles with new Rems lately. </div></div>

Ive had it less then 2 months. its been shot less then 80 times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're lucky it was your thumb and not your face... </div></div>

You said it before me bro... pretty damn scary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're lucky it was your thumb and not your face... </div></div>

You said it before me bro... pretty damn scary. </div></div>

Yea i know. every since i have started shooting guns i have rested my thumb on the stock behind the bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was the ammo the Superformance load by any chance? I would keep the cases, package and any remaining live rounds just in case this is an ammunition issue. I had some 30-06 PMC ammo that was over-charged years ago that recoiled very hard and pierced primers. I've heard of over preesure ammo causing damage to the Remington triggers when the gas slammed the firing pins backward. Never heard of it causing firing pin cross pins to break but anythings possible. </div></div>

Yes im about 95% sure it was the superformance ammo.I will have to look and see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the primers were pushed partially out of the pocket as well as being pierced. Have you shot any other type of ammo out of this gun? </div></div>

yes i shot 40 federal yesterday out of it.(brake in). and today i used the horandy. On the first box 19 of them shot fine and 20th is the first bullet in the pic. i opened another box of hornady and the middle bullet is the first bullet of that box and the last bullet in the pics is bullet #2 out of the secend box

and yes the primers are pushed out of the brass a good amount.

Nothing personal but I have to ask.

What the hell were you thinking in shooting the rifle after the first time the bolt came apart? Your lucky natural selection didn't swoop in and clean the gene pool.

Also something i noticed on the bullets still together is around the belts on the case it has an extra ring. you can kinda see it in this pic.

d321208f.jpg

545ff489.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Shootist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing personal but I have to ask.

What the hell were you thinking in shooting the rifle after the first time the bolt came apart? Your lucky natural selection didn't swoop in and clean the gene pool. </div></div>

the 2nd and 3rd shots i was not holding the rifle it was tied to the table. it also has a muzzle brake on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the Federals shoot OK? In your initial post you said "the bullet was still in the brass and a hole in the primer and the primer was pressed out of the pocket a little bit" Did the round attempt to fire but did the bullet remain in the case neck and not travel down the bore? </div></div>

Yes the federals shoot great. yes it tried to fire.The bullet did not try to go down the bore. It kinda sizzled and sprayed oil and junk out of the back of the bolt into my face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a competent gunsmith in the area you can take the rifle and the ammo to? Hard to diagnose something like this over the internet, but unless that rifle has a serious headspace or bore issue, you probably have some defective ammo. A good smith can go over the gun and rule the other issues out. </div></div>

yes i have a competent gun smith. I called him and told him what it done and he said in the 25 years he has been working with guns he has never heard or seen anything like that.

I also called Remington/horandy and a bunch of other people that knows about guns and they all said that they have never encountered something like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question, did the cocking piece actually seperate completely from the rifle when it struck your thumb and then land somewhere, or did it just protrude back from the shroud far enough to strike your thumb? </div></div>

no it did not come all the way out. it was hanging out about 2" or more. when it hit my thumb it knocked my hand off of the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, that makes more sense. Nothing broke then, just the gas from the pieced primer pushed the firing pin as far to the rear as possible, with your thumb being in the way.... </div></div>

its still going back. their is something wrong with the action. I had to shim it with 3 pieces of pop can to get a 20moa base to 0 at a 100 yards

But it still does not explain why the pin pierced the primer or why the bullet did not fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kickinneon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, that makes more sense. Nothing broke then, just the gas from the pieced primer pushed the firing pin as far to the rear as possible, with your thumb being in the way.... </div></div>

its still going back. their is something wrong with the action. I had to shim it with 3 pieces of pop can to get a 20moa base to 0 at a 100 yards</div></div>

It's obvious that You have a Camera give us some pics of your rifle. I know I'm not the first to say this to you but after you had the problem why in the hell would you just fire another round? Also Take the bolt out and look down the bore, if you can't see daylight then this might explain alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kickinneon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, that makes more sense. Nothing broke then, just the gas from the pieced primer pushed the firing pin as far to the rear as possible, with your thumb being in the way.... </div></div>

its still going back. their is something wrong with the action. I had to shim it with 3 pieces of pop can to get a 20moa base to 0 at a 100 yards</div></div>

It's obvious that You have a Camera give us some pics of your rifle. I know I'm not the first to say this to you but after you had the problem why in the hell would you just fire another round? Also Take the bolt out and look down the bore, if you can't see daylight then this might explain alot. </div></div>

I pulled the bolt out of the rifle and look down the barrel.I could see light on the other end.

I was at a safe distance when i fired it a second time + i thought that it might be a defected round or something.

Im not at home right now. what would you like pics of. here is one of the whole rifle.

photo.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kickinneon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, that makes more sense. Nothing broke then, just the gas from the pieced primer pushed the firing pin as far to the rear as possible, with your thumb being in the way.... </div></div>

its still going back. their is something wrong with the action. I had to shim it with 3 pieces of pop can to get a 20moa base to 0 at a 100 yards

But it still does not explain why the pin pierced the primer or why the bullet did not fire. </div></div>

The gun definately needs to be checked out by either the factory or a good smith after what happened. Could be damage to the firing pin, spring, shroud, cocking piece or trigger. I'm guessing the ammo is the problem. Save your receipts, packaging, all fired cases and all un-fired ammo. Hornady's probably going to want to examine that batch of ammo. </div></div>

I have all the fired cases + the ones that did not fire and ones that has not been tried. I guess Remington is going to call me Monday and talk to me about the gun and my thumb. I called right at 5oclock

Sorry to hear for your problems and injury. Thankfully it was not worse.

I'm not even close to being an expert, but my guess is going to be an ammo issue. From past experiences with a couple other of H's offerings, this new stuff seems a bit too "iffy" to me.

I too own a M700P in the same caliber... I'll be checing back for updates.

Yes I am going to guess it is the ammo as well. the superformance is supposedly blends of other powders and changes of mixtures is different per caliber.I hope somebody didn`t forget what batch they were running.And I can`t believe nobody else hasn`t asked.I am glad you are allright first of all.But how about a picture of the thumb as well!Show your war wound off!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeepwilson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I am going to guess it is the ammo as well. the superformance is supposedly blends of other powders and changes of mixtures is different per caliber.I hope somebody didn`t forget what batch they were running.And I can`t believe nobody else hasn`t asked.I am glad you are allright first of all.But how about a picture of the thumb as well!Show your war wound off! </div></div>

I would take some pics of my thumb but my camera does not pick it up to well (Iphone camera). The hole is about the same size around as a pencil eraser and It took about 3 layers of skin deep.
The doctor told me that he did not think it was broke that it just hyper extended it back and possible popped it out of place. The pain is starting let off a little bit now and movement is coming back to it.

As for the ammo i have no clue why that only 2 out of 22 would do it. I called horandy and talked to a guy that said he has been doing it for 30 years and he said he has never heard of anything like it.

Mabe you should call Hornady back and tell them you had a revolver match today and couldn`t compete because of your thumb.I see no possible way that the gun was at fault.That is alot of pressure to make it do what it did!Anyways glad you are not hurt!

Here is a pic. It does not do it any justice. The hole is not what bothers me its the fact that if my thumb was not their i could have hit my face. you cant see it in the pic but down in the joint where my thumbs attaches to my hand swelled up and it hurts every time i move my thumb.

54bfd8c6.jpg

After seeing that they recalled another batch of sst superformance ammunition...you would think Hornady would be REAL interested in this issue. I think maybe you weren't talking to the correct person there. If I were you I would absolutely not take the gun to a gunsmith. Remington could say that your gunsmith botched the firearm. If it were mine I would talk to hornady and get your medical bills compensated for. IMO that's the least they could do. If something broke as a result of the ammo they should be paying for that too unless remington covers it.

Either way you are extremely lucky your thumb was there, if it wasn't that hole might be in your eye or face.

I also think the title of the thread should be changed to hornady SST 300WM superformance problem! That wasy someone who's got the same batch of ammo can at least be aware of a possible issue.