• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Mil Spec 5R 308

Wylie Custom

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2011
I want to share the results of a factory rifle that I have modified. First, I purchased a Remington 700 5r Mil-spec about a year ago. The rifle was great and would shoot nearly all match ammo under an inch and sometimes half inch with 3 shots. It was a great shooting gun.
However, I decided I wanted more. I debated selling the rifle and going full custom or just customizing the Remington. I opted to customize the Remington. First I purchased an AICS stock and replaced the factory HS stock. I shot the gun and it seemed to help. I then purchased a Jewell trigger. After having a friend mill the stock for the trigger I put it all together.
I took the rifle to the range today and it now shoots 5 shot groups under half an inch where before I would sometimes get 3 shots in half an inch.
Here is the rifle:
308 Remington 5r Mil-spec
AICS stock
Jewell Trigger
Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical Scope
Thanks.
IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

Re: Remington Mil Spec 5R 308

Nice!

How many rounds do you have through it?

I have a 5-R i'm slowly upgrading as well. I've kept the original stock, swap back-n-forth between a Sinclair F-Class bi-pod and a Harris bi-pod (depends on what i'm shooting at), added a Kasten cheek rest, installed a jewell trigger, Leupold 20MOA base, Leupold Rings, Leupold MK 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm optic and i'm about to send it off to Krieger to have a barrel installed and have them true-up the action. I love this rifle!

It has somewhere around 700 rounds through it. It is now shooting better than ever.

My 5R is very similar to yours except optics. What ammo are you using? Mine seems to like the Black Hills Match 175 BTHP the best and I see similar results... saves me reloading time!

2723164011_medium.jpg

I am loading the 168 Berger VLD with 45 grains Reloader 15 and and 42.5 grains R-15 for the 175 Berger VLD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EOD217</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the jewell trigger worth it? </div></div>

I like it and it tightens my groups up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EOD217</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the jewell trigger worth it? </div></div>
i would say yes as far as accuracy goes they helped me improve mine quite a bit just keep in a drag bad or something of that nature if you plan on dragging it through the desert and you will be fine, like anything, when you buy something of quality take care of it and it will last and work when you need it too. Timeneys are also a great trigger and i have heard both good and bads about rifle basix triggers but i cant speak from experience on those like the others...hope this helps

Did you shoot it in the AICS stock with the old trigger and then compare with the Jewel? Sometimes confidence builds competence. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you shoot it in the AICS stock with the old trigger and then compare with the Jewel? Sometimes confidence builds competence. JMHO </div></div>

Yes I did shoot it with the X mark Pro trigger while it was in the AICS stock the day before the guy I knew could mill the stock. It shot well with the 3 pound pull and I did have some really good gorups. I felt like today with the jewell trigger I had more good groups. It could be I was just on, but one thing is for sure I like the feel of the Jewell at one pound over the 3 pound X-mark.

One thing to note is I was one inch low and .5 inches right after installing the Jewell trigger. I was still dead on when I replaced the stock and not the trigger. Not sure why this occured.

I do not like the Xmark at all. For so many reasons. I have some rifles with old style Remington triggers and they are fine. I also use Jewell triggers and as long as they are kept clean they are fine. But the Jewell is more finicky than the Remington and Timney. My next aftermarket trigger will be Timney. Their new model goes down to 1.5 pounds and the safety blocks trigger movement instead of the sear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewell's don't like crud, grit, dirt, dust etc.
That's why I sold mine.......
Respectfully </div></div>

thats why i keep a can of lighter fluid with me and flush the jewel regularly and it shouldn't give you any problems

I shoot 175smk and 45 grains of varget. I have a 5r in a
McMillan a5 with a jewel trigger set at 1 lb and it shoots way better than it should

I have a 5R also. It currently sports a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x44MC with target turrets. So far, it has had a trigger job, a custom muzzle brake installed and the stock has been bedded. It currently shoots 1/2 groups consistently. A friend has taken an antelope with it at 700 yards and he regularly shoots it out to 1,000 yards. Plans are to replace the stock with an AICS and to upgrade the scope.

I have thought about using varget but have had great results with reloader 15. I am thinking of shooting the nosler competition bullets to save money. Has anyone tried them in their 5r?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have thought about using varget but have had great results with reloader 15. I am thinking of shooting the nosler competition bullets to save money. Has anyone tried them in their 5r? </div></div>

I have had some good groups with rl15. But varget seems to be less temperature sensit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have thought about using varget but have had great results with reloader 15. I am thinking of shooting the nosler competition bullets to save money. Has anyone tried them in their 5r?</div></div>

I haven't shoot varget through a 5R but I shoot it through my SPS Tac and it shoots really well and it seems really easy to develope a load with it.

I have been shooting my 5R for about two years now with much pleasure. here is my setup:

Remington 700 5R Mil-spec
Bedded Factory Stock
Factory Trigger worked to 2-1/2#
Leupold 6.5-20 Mark IV Illuminated Mil-dot
Badger Ordinance rings (lapped)
Warne Tactical 20 MOA cant base

I have been working loads up for this rifle since I got it and have tried several things with varget powder. I am new to this forum and don't yet know how to imbed photos in my posts. If someone could help me out I've got several images of groups with load data.

Thanks