• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Mil-Spec

MAKO8551

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2006
Fresno, CA
MilSpec Review

Mil-Spec Pricing

I have a buddy wanting to get in to shooting. Budget is the biggest deciding factor. I pointed him at the 700 just for the sheer amount of info and gear available.

He came back with this Mil-Spec version I have never heard of. I have done a little reading and lots of good things are being said. It apparently has the same barrel as the m24 sniper system.

Whats the word? Anyone have one of these?

looking at a budget of right arround $1500.
I recommended a rem700 police
Supersniper scope
Badger rings and base.
Any other setups ya'll would mention for this price range??

Re: Remington Mil-Spec

The 5R Milspec is good to go. You will find lots of praise of this rifle here and deservedly so. Your friend can start with "less" and still be okay but if this is his choice, he has got a good start if he is not looking for a full custom build to begin with.

For scope I would look at the Falcon line. I believe the FFP scopes are still within the overall price range. Depending on how outrageous his FFL charges for fees, he should come in just about right, barring any bipod purchases. If you add Badger base and rings you will go over budget. EGW bases are still good at less than half the cost of Badger.

Jesus Christ, why the hell doesn't Remington make this rifle in a finish other than ugly ass stainless? Hello, how bout a parked , blued, or black teflon finish? Shit makes me angry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus Christ, why the hell doesn't Remington make this rifle in a finish other than ugly ass stainless? Hello, how bout a parked , blued, or black teflon finish? Shit makes me angry. </div></div>

Rattle can!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus Christ, why the hell doesn't Remington make this rifle in a finish other than ugly ass stainless? Hello, how bout a parked , blued, or black teflon finish? Shit makes me angry. </div></div>

Rattle can! </div></div>

Ha Ha Ha.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spray-painted mine. </div></div>

No sir, are you serious? You guys are a bunch of fuckin hacks with that spray paint shit.
laugh.gif

?

If you wanted benchrest, get benchrest and coat/finish it however you want.

If you want it to take to war, start shaking the Krylon can.

Amen!... What do you think the Military does?! I trained with an M40A1 back in the early 80's that must have weighed 5 extra pounds because of all the layers of paint on it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amen!... What do you think the Military does?! I trained with an M40A1 back in the early 80's that must have weighed 5 extra pounds because of all the layers of paint on it! </div></div>

I know, I know, but it's just WRONG.

I have a 5R and love it and I am shooting out to around 1200 yards on a fairly regular basis.

I would agree that instead of the SuperSniper, check out the Falcon line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spray-painted mine. </div></div>

Post a pic of yours. Im debating on painting mine

I'll try to get a decent picture when I get home. I have to warn you though, my stock looks like shit. I can't paint camo to save my life. Hey, maybe I'll paint it again and hope for better results!

love mine shots great and yup couldn't stand the color so dura coated it black metal with a tan stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">love mine shots great and yup couldn't stand the color so dura coated it black metal with a tan stock </div></div>

I'd love to see a pic of that.

the 5-r is a great shooter. mine is very accurate. and yes i painted mine too. got to knock that shine off. took a while to get the courage up but it had to be done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spray-painted mine. </div></div>

Post a pic of yours. Im debating on painting mine</div></div> Here ya go... Like I said, my camo-painting skills are seriously lacking but this will give you some idea.

Oh, and... I know the scope is way high! I used rings that I had laying around and they're really cheap but working for now. I'll get better "low" ones soon.
2mocb3k.jpg
w82ezl.jpg

I just fixed the "rings" issue! Bought a pair of "low" Warne rings and now she's ready to take back to the range for zeroing!

I went with the less tactical look with mine. It is now sitting here without a scope waiting for the SIII that I'll be getting through Liberty Optics.
RemSS5R001.jpg