• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Milspec 5R .308

TC1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2006
Hernando, MS
What do you guy's think about a Remington "milspec 5R" in .308 for an enthusiastic newbie?
smile.gif

It would seem to be a good value. What do you think?

Thanks!

Re: Remington Milspec 5R .308

I was looking to get one as my first "Tactical" bolt gun but went with a Savage 10FCP-McMillan instead. The 5R has a lot of good things going for it and is a good rifle for the money but I felt the Savage was even more of a deal. One of the determining factors was the stock--I handled a 5R and thought the stock wasn't nearly as nice as the A-5.

For the money, it's a great gun for a newbie. I love mine and still shoot it regularly. I'm by no means the caliber of shooter alot of the guys on here are, but I'm getting ready to make a stock change and few other upgrades on mine. If you search '5R' or '5R milspec' I'm sure you'll be overwhelmed with the amount of information and opinions.

treedoc

I just got my 5-r and the first thing I did was remove the stock and put my McMillan A-5 on it. Makes it a lot better. I worked up some loads for the rifle and my smallest groups were .342 MOA measured with on-target software. That was the smallest groups I have done thus far and I have not even bedded my action into the stock yet. I have a SPS tactical that did shoot as well (smallest group with handloads where .635 MOA). So I just love my 5-r right now. I am going to rebarrel with a Mike Rock 5-R and have my action "blue-printed" on the SPS tactical. Will definitely be curious to see how these two rifles compare after that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecdbcd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great entry level rifle. There are lower cost options, but if you want a solid stock and stainless barrel in a factory rifle, it's a great place to start. </div></div>

Agreed, perhaps the better option might be to pick up an SPS-Tactical and go from there as a beginner rifle and then modify it, but either way an excellent firearm.

I put one on layaway a few weeks ago... trying to figure out optics for it is driving me nuts
smile.gif
I've only really dealt with leupold hunting scopes in the past.

Any suggestions on replacing the recoil pad on the stock hs? My 5R is still stock but the ABD decided to chew some of the pad off while I went to the store !!!!! So I removed the rest of the recoil pad but now trying to find a new one to replace it!