• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Model 12 found...

Anvil_X

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2012
AK
So I was helping my buddy move into his new apartment last night, and in the process we found his old 22. told me he last shot it when he was 12... and he ain't young. So after about 20 some odd years of sitting in a flannel pillow case its lookin just a bit rough. Action's running fine, no fouling in the barrel that I could spot, the stock is in unbelievably good shape with this mondo thick butt plate (I swear to god remington must have had a zombie fetish when they built this). Since he's not into guns, but he still wants it around and in good shape for when it comes time to teach his rodents how to shoot, I offered to clean her up and preserve it for that time. So I was curious, with a rifle as old and as beautiful as this little bugger, I don't want to mess anything up. Any tips on what chemicals I should or should not use on it? also, will cosmoline damage the wood finish?

Re: Remington Model 12 found...

Chemicals?
Without seeing what you are talking about, why dont you just clean it with brake free clp and then then use a good heavy teflon oil on it that is compatable with blued steel, wax the wood with a natural bees wax and put it in a quality firearms long term storage bag?

I've been using Tetra for a final coating before storage for a while and have been happy with the results. It puts a little thicker coating on the metal..

sweet, thanks for the heads up guys

That is one of my all time favorite .22s. They were a lot of fun to shoot. My grandpa had two. One with a octagon barrel and one with a round barrel. Don't know what happened to the octagon barrel rifle but I have the round barrel one in my safe. Good luck.