• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Model 5 worth buying?

TDH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
metro Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I need a 22LR rifle. All I have is a beat up old Remington Viper that is a semi but I lost the mag so I'm shooting it single shot.

It is pretty beat up and rusted pretty bad getting wet during hurricane a few years ago.

Cabela's has the Model 5 on sale for 199.99 at 8am next weekend and it appears to sell for 300+ on gunbroker.

Is 199 a decent price and is it good for a plinker? How about barrel options and etc if I decide to rebarrel down the road? Does anybody do anything with the actions on these?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Remington Model 5 worth buying?

I have one and like it alot.
I have just a little less than 2,000 rounds through it so far.
I shot the Sniper's Hide Monthly Match with it in November. I can't compete with Top Predator and his Savage, or Carter and his 40X. Although I think with some more practice for me, the rifle has a little more potential.
It will shoot a number of loads under a dime at 50 yards, and a bunch of different loads under a quarter at 50 yards. Busting 4-inch clays at 100 yards is no big deal.

If you want a nice rifle for half the price of a CZ that one is it. If you get one let me know, I can fix you up with some info on the trigger adjustments and the results of my ammo testing. (Standard Velocity stuff seems to work best).

i had the same dilema a few months ago...remington model 5 question

i asked on a few more sites, generally the other rimfire forums keep their shooting at 50 yards, so much of that info wasn't applicable to me. and of course the remington fans said it was great, savage, cz, etc. fans said it sucked.

there was one response from a guy that owned a mdl 5, a mkii, and a 452. he said that for the longer distances that i wanted to puch paper with that it would be better off putting the non-sale price of $300.00 towards a CZ, but also said that i couldn't go wrong buying one for the sale price of under $200.00.

of course without actually shooting the mdl 5 i couldn't make an objective decision, however after shooting the CZ 452, i could say that the cz does perform quite well and fits most of my shooting demands.

the mdl 5 looks great, as i haven't held one, i don't know how the feel is, doesn't seem that there are much aftermarket enhancements available, but until more people use it and better longrange data is available, i'm putting the gun funds towards a CZ.

i did find EL KABONG's scores decent for a 200.00 rifle though, and looks as if the mdl 5 may be an economical shooter for silhoutte competition.

Another good, decently priced .22 rifle to think about is the Winchester Wildcat Varmint/Target model. I have one and is does exceptionally well. They come with 1-5 rd. mag and 3-10 rd. mags.

I actually steered TP away from the Model Five, but I have a better feel for what he was trying to achieve and the CZ is definately the way to go for him.
The model five dosen't have much in after-market stuff.
I like the nice blueing, laminate stock, and the fact that it just 'feels' like a 'real' rifle. I have worked over the trigger, and it is still not all that good. I have heard others have had much better luck on the trigger. Extra mags are available through EAA as they are importing the rifle now.
It should be noted the Cabela's ad rifle is sold under the Remington name, but it is not a Remington. (Zastava)

I say buy the best you can afford. At the time I bought mine, it was the best I could afford. I was set up ready to shoot, scope, rings, sling, stock-pack, for less than a CZ alone.

I have been saving for another rifle, and may get a Savage BV/BVT, or maybe wait for the new Savage with the tacti-cool stock. If I can squeeze a little more accuracy out of my Model Five, maybe I'll be patient enough to save for a Anschutz...

before you buy it at cabelas on sale look at academy they usaly have it for $179.00, my friends father did this last year and academy said that is the price they have it all year.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to go play with one and see what I think.

What CZ are you guys recommending? I've never owned a nice rimfire, but with the cost of reloading components and ammo I need a cheaper solution.

the cz that seems to be "the one" is the 452 american, the silhoutte which is an american with syn. stock and stainless finish, and the varmint (heavy barrel). ther was a post here not too long ago about cz discontinuing the 452 and coming out witha model 455 that supposedly has some better features to it. ijust hope they don't "f" up the accurracy