• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Model 600 Questions

ryang

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I just picked up a Remington Model 600 chambered in .308 Winchester. It's a neat little rifle but someone has cut the vent rib off of the top. I'd just like to find a medium heavy, maybe heavy barrel for it. It's gonna need a new scope as well but, I'll find a decent one. I know H.S. Precision makes a stock for it but do any of you know of any good, cheaper grade barrels and stocks. I just want a smooth, decent shooting rifle but don't want to spend a fortune on it. So, a stock, med-heavy or heavy barrel, and decent scope. Help finding these for this weapon would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryaqn

Re: Remington Model 600 Questions

you could probably trade the 600 straight across for a rifle more to your liking. they are pretty desireable for mountain rifle builds.

there is a company that makes replica barrel ribs (from aluminum, not plastic like the origionals) heritige arms or something like that.

but I THINK that the 700 barrels will fit the 600 action so a take-off barrel could be headspsced and installed on the cheap.

Which model 600? The 600 Mohawk never came with a vent rib, I have 1. And the barrel is the same what's on a 700. So you have plenty of options there.

Honestly before you sink piles of money in it decide what you want. If you are looking for something other than a light weight rifle you may come out cheaper getting a 700. More accessories are available.

If you accept the 600 for what it is, compact, lightweight rifle then you can't find a better action.

So what do you want?

Outlawsix,

You might want to rethink your post. They did come with a plastic vent rib.

700 bbls will fit. I think the action is the same as the Mod. Seven. Bolt handle could be an issue for stocks.

Reactions: Tripletail

IMG_2444.jpg

Here is mine, HS Precision stock, plastic vent was ok, can get a new one from Numerich last time I checked. Fitted it with a leupy EER scope, Can get better than MOA, not bad for a 44 year old gun with a face lift, I know why Jeff Cooper loved it.

The Remington 600 Mohawk never came with a vent rib. The 600 came with one. But the 600 Mohawk was a seperate model that uses the 600 action.

As outlawsix posted the 600 and 600 Mohawk are different. The Mohawk's were made with hardwood stocks instead of walnut, no rib and a bit heavier barrel then the 600's were. They were made from leftover parts and sold through such catalog stores as Sears and Montgomery Ward.

600's with vent ribs came in 222, 223 in very limited numbers, 243, 6mm, 308, 35 Remington and the Magnum version with laminated birch/walnut stocks in 6.5 and 350 Remington magnums.

I have only seen the Mohawk versions in 222, 243 and 308 but perhaps some 6mm may have been made.

The 660 used the same reciever but a 20" barrel with no rib instead of the 18.5" on the 600. They also had a black tenite tip similar to the BDl's. They started production one or two yrs after the original 600's.

Action length is same as Model 7 but with different bolt handle shape so stocks would need bolt cut out reshaped a bit. 600 series only used the plastic solid bottom piece so a Model 7 floorplate may fit but I have never tried to adapt them.

Also the 600 doesn't have an external bolt release like the 700 but can be operated with a small screwdriver etc from rear. The 700 triggers will fit but the shoe is a bit longer and will hit the bottom of plastic trigger guard. If it is put into a HS stock etc using an ADL triggerguard then that isn't an issue.

Hope this helps.

john, nice rifle... mine was set up exactly this way in the late 60s before the scout concept. .350 RM with the old Redfield FrontIER optics system. still works like a champ, but i may someday upgrade the scope to the Leupold Scout...

35901100_0940_Large_.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_2444.jpg

Here is mine, HS Precision stock, plastic vent was ok, can get a new one from Numerich last time I checked. Fitted it with a leupy EER scope, Can get better than MOA, not bad for a 44 year old gun with a face lift, I know why Jeff Cooper loved it. </div></div>

How do you like the HS Precision stock? I have a Mohawk 600 and am considering tossing the birch stock in favor of an HS stock.

FYI for the Original Question. EGW makes a picatinny rail mount for the XP-100/Model 7 that I believe will fit the 600. I'll know for sure very soon, they are sending me one to try.

Hey Warhawk

I love the HS stock, BTW it has a cheek rest on the otherside. I used the stock, stock for firewood. The mount is a Redfield made for the 600, got from fleabay, the scope from a wholesale sporting shop. I have a Butler Creek for the bell, but can't find one for the eye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Warhawk

I love the HS stock, BTW it has a cheek rest on the otherside. I used the stock, stock for firewood. The mount is a Redfield made for the 600, got from fleabay, the scope from a wholesale sporting shop. I have a Butler Creek for the bell, but can't find one for the eye. </div></div>

Thanks, I will probably order one of the HS Prec. stocks for mine. I am too used to a conventionally mounted scope to switch to the scout scope format now.

My 600 is a .308, I will probably rebarrel it someday, not sure if it will remain a 308 or become a 243 or 260. I'm a big proponent of ammo commonality, so it's probably going to stay a 308.

where can I purchase a synthetic stock for my mohawk 600

I'm looking to build a rem 600 myself and I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a removable mag using an aftermarket stock with the rem 600 action? I've got a rem 700 in 30-06 with a removable mag and was thinking it wouldn't take much to make it fit into a magazine well of a 7.62 rifle.

I would love to have one of the 308s but with a illuminated (Fred Sanford pronunciation) of laminated stock from the 350.
For those that have them you need to make sure the safety can be trusted.
If I remember the story right(told to me by a Remington factory employee) about 30 years back this lawyer was hunting with his kid on a ranch in Texas. He had bought his kid a 308 and was walking along behind his Dad fiddling with the rifle (we have all done this) and again if I remember right was pulling on the trigger. Well it did not go off however the adjustment in the safety was "out of tolerance) and when he pulled the trigger the striker was in the wanting to go mode, the safety let off and the striker fell.
Rifle just happened to be pointed at the back of the father and when it went off got his Dad caught one but did not kill him.
The suit was going to be fought until it was learned the judge that was going to hear the case owned the land the lawyer was shot on. I think the out of court was six million.
As a result there was a recall on those rifles to check safety. There has also been other Remington recalls on 700s.
This is not the first I have seen it happen and the striker fall has been seen to happen on other rifles manufactured by others as well so is not restricted to Remington.
I basically tell everyone to not close the bolt until you are ready and even though the safety is on treat it like it is not.

A new one for Murphy's Laws (safeties are not)

Hello all. There seems to be a small issue on whether or not the Remington Mohawk 600 had a vent rib or not. I purchased one in 1975 and it did not have one. I do think they do look cool though, but useless. I still have mine and it easily prints 1-1/2 groups with 150 grain (308 caliber)as long as I do my part. Would love to find a new stock with a metal trigger guard/clip retainer as the plastic one supplies by OEM looks like crap! Again, I'm glad to be here and hope you all have a great day. Keith

Hi. I too have the 600 and mine also went off as I released the safety forward. Thank God no one was injured, only scared me and my buddy silly. I sent it back to Remington and have never had another problem with it. Have a good one, Keith

Hi just clearing up some differences with the model7 and model 600's,

The barrels from any of the model 7, 600, 660, and 700's have the same tennon so they can be interchanged but headspace must be checked as there can be a small difference between production lots of even 700 barrels i had a 700 223 i replaced a barrel in last week and the Gop Gauge would not fit we had to set the chamber in 8 thou so just keep that in mind.

Now the model 7 is based on the 600 but the diference most know is the bolt handle i know a lot of people that have the handle changed to a standard rem straight pattern, the triggers are diferent on the 600 aswell and dont have a bolt release lever i have made them from stainless steel in the past, then the tang is also shorter and smaller on the 600 action and the hole spacing is shorter on the 6-00 than the model7 because of the shorter tang.

So the 600 can not drop straight into a model7 stock even if you just change the bolt handle and the model7 bottom metal will not fit the 600.

They are a great little action but if you are wanting a diferent stock and barrel i would just sell it and get a model 7 in the configuration you want as it has a drop floor plate.