• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington Model 700 ADL Varmint .308

Bwhntr53

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2020
Ok within the next few months I am looking to purchase this rifle. Before I do I would like to get some ideas and thoughts on this rifle. Thanks for your help.
Bwhntr53

It’s a decent entry level Remington. If You’re gonna upgrade the stock it’s a perfect bare bones rifle. If you don’t wanna do anything to your rifle after you buy it I suggest you spend a couple of hundred bucks more and get the Remington 700p 308. It’s about the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Good luck with your rifle selection 👍

Excellent rifle to build upon.

Friend bought one at Dicks for like $300. I fit it in a wood BDL stock I had on hand refinished in tung oil. Found him a mil/mil Super Sniper in the PX cheap. Added an M1907 milsurp sling. PX also coughed out a BDL mag box/trigger guad.

He is a killer now.

He would never spend the type of money on guns like I do but he is now capable at ranges he would never thought possible.

Now stand by for a bunch of posts telling you they are shit or for just a bit more you could get.......

Last edited:
I know you are probably going to hear- what do you want it for? I have that exact rifle. For me it’s fine. I’m just a plinker though. It’s better than I am 😳. I put in a Trigger Tech Special which is nice. Vortex D back Tactical 6-24, Boyds At One stock.

I know you are probably going to hear- what do you want it for? I have that exact rifle. For me it’s fine. I’m just a plinker though. It’s better than I am 😳. I put in a Trigger Tech Special which is nice. Vortex D back Tactical 6-24, Boyds At One stock.
For hunting and for just shooting. Doesn't have to shoot 1/4" or 3/8" groups all day long. I just like to shoot. It's me against the target. I'm a plinker too. Right now I have a Savage Axis in 6.5 creedmoor. Took it to the range and got 1 moa. Yep. Factory ammo. Starting to reload. Going to take it and add a new stock and timney trigger. I just like to take rifles and try to make them better if I can. To me it is a retirement hobby. What better way to spend your retirement than taking budget rifles and trying to make it better. 😉

For hunting and for just shooting. Doesn't have to shoot 1/4" or 3/8" groups all day long. I just like to shoot. It's me against the target. I'm a plinker too. Right now I have a Savage Axis in 6.5 creedmoor. Took it to the range and got 1 moa. Yep. Factory ammo. Starting to reload. Going to take it and add a new stock and timney trigger. I just like to take rifles and try to make them better if I can. To me it is a retirement hobby. What better way to spend your retirement than taking budget rifles and trying to make it better. 😉

Shoot 168 FGMM or 175 FGMM out of it and I think you will be hard pressed to get your reloads to shoot tighter.

168s will shoot a bit tighter but 175s will help you going longer.

You will have to figure out what hunting bullet works best.

Every one of my hunting rifles started life as ADL varmints. It’s perfect for what you’re gonna do. Keep your eyes on the Px for the stuff you want and you’ll have a semi-custom rifle for hardly anything. Enjoy your retirement you earned it
Just read the other post and reminds me that ammo is getting hard to find so get what you need while it’s available. Even some reloading supplies are getting hard to find.

Every one of my hunting rifles started life as ADL varmints. It’s perfect for what you’re gonna do. Keep your eyes on the Px for the stuff you want and you’ll have a semi-custom rifle for hardly anything. Enjoy your retirement you earned it
Just read the other post and reminds me that ammo is getting hard to find so get what you need while it’s available. Even some reloading supplies are getting hard to find.
Yes, ammo and reloading supplies are getting harder and harder to find. Since I do not get out right now because of the virus I am doing all of my ordering online. I started 4 months ago trying to get ammo and reloading supplies and I am just now getting everything I need. Most of the online supply chains are pretty much out of everything. Good luck on finding what you need.

To me, rifles and shooting are like the old hot rods that I used to love to rebuild. Nothing much better than taking a semi hot car and turning it into a mean machine just like a rifle. Except now for me it is the rifles because mean machine hot rods only get me in trouble with tickets. It's either rifle rebuilding or hot rod rebuilding so I have to choose rifles because I can't afford the tickets anymore from building and driving hot rods.

To me, rifles and shooting are like the old hot rods that I used to love to rebuild. Nothing much better than taking a semi hot car and turning it into a mean machine just like a rifle. Except now for me it is the rifles because mean machine hot rods only get me in trouble with tickets. It's either rifle rebuilding or hot rod rebuilding so I have to choose rifles because I can't afford the tickets anymore from building and driving hot rods.
If to be used for hunting as well as range, perhaps consider the 700 5-R SS Gen 2

I have one in 20" as any longer seems to cause problems in a blind, stand, etc.

I did do two things to really tighten this gun up....1) I had it skim bedded as the action as only touching the HS bedding block in two small areas right at the action screws and; 2) I put a Jewell trigger in it as it seemed like the Rem trigger would not stay consistent.

I have it in .308 and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Best of luck

Cabelas 700 6.5 Creedmoor SPS ADL Varmint now in a B&C 6 with detachable M5.
She shoots quite nice.
20200725_103537.jpg

From what I have been reading about this rifle it is not pillar bedded so probably a new stock will be in order unless l pillar bed it myself.

From what I have been reading about this rifle it is not pillar bedded so probably a new stock will be in order unless l pillar bed it myself.
If it’s a newer adl it’ll have awful plastic stock. I suppose you could bed it and free float your barrel in it but....
The 700p in 308 Winchester sku # 86672 is as low as $750 new. It comes with a HS precision stock, 24 inch 5r barrel threaded for a muzzle device and a 40x trigger thats adjustable down to 1.5Lbs. You can usually get several hundred bucks for the stock and trigger guard/bottom metal and reduce the amount of your initial investment. Then the difference between your Adl and the 700p would be about like a 2 bolt main vs 4 bolt main Chevy 350 for essentially the same money. Which one had you rather start with?
I recently purchased a older 700p in 308 and I’m gonna buy a new one in the next couple of days because it’s too good of a deal to let slip by. I’ll sell the older one later on, maybe. 😂

If it’s a newer adl it’ll have awful plastic stock. I suppose you could bed it and free float your barrel in it but....
The 700p in 308 Winchester sku # 86672 is as low as $750 new. It comes with a HS precision stock, 24 inch 5r barrel threaded for a muzzle device and a 40x trigger thats adjustable down to 1.5Lbs. You can usually get several hundred bucks for the stock and trigger guard/bottom metal and reduce the amount of your initial investment. Then the difference between your Adl and the 700p would be about like a 2 bolt main vs 4 bolt main Chevy 350 for essentially the same money. Which one had you rather start with?
I recently purchased a older 700p in 308 and I’m gonna buy a new one in the next couple of days because it’s too good of a deal to let slip by. I’ll sell the older one later on, maybe. 😂
Yes, by adding all of my addons the price would be about the same but a nicer barrel.

Reactions: jcmullis2
I have one in .308 and I like it very much. Mine came used, with a Bell & Carlson stock, and a SWFA 16X fixed power scope. Also have the .308 AAC-SD, as well as a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308.

All of em like 175 grain HPBT Match bullets with Benchmark. YMMV.

Last edited:
Yes, by adding all of my addons the price would be about the same but a nicer barrel.
Yes sir. I forgot to mention a buddy just bought one and his came with a tactical bolt knob instead of the traditional Remington bolt knob. That’s a plus also in my opinion.

In this thread.....

Read the post I made about the newb and his plastic stock Remington varmint.

Kid was making good hits at 1000 yards with a total four days of training and a scope that was mounted that morning.

Rifle ran great.

In this thread.....

Read the post I made about the newb and his plastic stock Remington varmint.

Kid was making good hits at 1000 yards with a total four days of training and a scope that was mounted that morning.

Rifle ran great.
That’s a great post and a testament to Remington rifles. I read the shooter had a bdl model and it’s stock isn’t near as stiff as the adl. Nothing wrong with either and that young fella proved it. Those who talk crap about Remington need to read that post. I’ve shot Remington rifles for over 40 years and every one of mine are capable of better accuracy than I am. How can you not love them?

Reactions: Bwhntr53
That’s a great post and a testament to Remington rifles. I read the shooter had a bdl model and it’s stock isn’t near as stiff as the adl. Nothing wrong with either and that young fella proved it. Those who talk crap about Remington need to read that post. I’ve shot Remington rifles for over 40 years and every one of mine are capable of better accuracy than I am. How can you not love them?

They are just a made for profit production rifle.

We should never forgive the 700 for what it did to the Winchester Model 70 but Ill admit Remington squeezed a nickle and came up with a serviceable rifle.

Ok. For you married folk. Tell me how to explain that I just had to have a new rifle.
midwayusa-how-many-air-rifles-does-one-man-need-large-10.jpg
midwayusa-how-many-modern-black-powder-rifles-does-one-man-need-large-7.jpg

When you have enough of them, you don't need any more explaining. They all look the same and just blend in :)
""When you have enough of them""
Wives or rifles 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣
Exwives I would have to sell all my rifles just to pay for an attorney.
Actually I do have a good one. She lets me buy what I want. If I have the $$$$. I have learned happy wife...happy life. She buys her stuff too.

Reactions: BuLLet
If I had multiple wives still around, like you I'd have no money for new toys!

""When you have enough of them""
Wives or rifles 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣
Exwives I would have to sell all my rifles just to pay for an attorney.
Actually I do have a good one. She lets me buy what I want. If I have the $$$$.

They are just a made for profit production rifle.

We should never forgive the 700 for what it did to the Winchester Model 70 but Ill admit Remington squeezed a nickle and came up with a serviceable rifle.
I don’t recall the 700 doing anything to the Winchester model 70. What Winchester did to the model 70 ruined a great rifle. IMO Had they never changed the model 70 the Remington 700 wouldn’t have had the success it’s had. Winchester either got nervous with the introduction of the cheaper R700 or they got greedy. They should have left it like it was. Just my humble opinion

I don’t recall the 700 doing anything to the Winchester model 70. What Winchester did to the model 70 ruined a great rifle. IMO Had they never changed the model 70 the Remington 700 wouldn’t have had the success it’s had. Winchester either got nervous with the introduction of the cheaper R700 or they got greedy. They should have left it like it was. Just my humble opinion

The affordability of the 700 had Win start messing with good design.

Amen to that.
It did but cooler heads should have prevailed. The 700 was the new kid on the block. Why change a perfectly awesome rifle just because a cheaper rifle hit the market. I mean, a blind man could see the model 70 was worth the extra cost.

It did but cooler heads should have prevailed. The 700 was the new kid on the block. Why change a perfectly awesome rifle just because a cheaper rifle hit the market. I mean, a blind man could see the model 70 was worth the extra cost.

When for most people 4 MOA was all that was sought people saw no reason to overpay.

From our modern perspective though we look on them with shame.

Don't project our modern beliefs on people of the past.

I was not going to bring up Winchester but.....I have a Winchester Model 88, lever action, .243. I will post some photos when I get a chance. I leave it a guess on how much I paid for it 😉

I bought my first Remington 700 Varmint 22-250 back in 1979 I believe, it was around $200. I probably still have the receipt somewhere :) Everything was cheap back then, in perspective to today.

And of course it's still in that blended heard!

The Remington 1100 compared to the Winchester SX-1 killed Winchester. They made a high end shotgun in the manner that they made Model 12's and lost their ass on every one as people bought the 1100 for half the price or less.

Model 700 vs Model 70 may well be the same story.....Its just a fact that most (not all, but most) deer hunters go cheap and will not pay twice the amount for a better deer gun and its these guys that drive sales and not guys like on this board.

Just my opinion, you may well differ in yours.

I bought my first Remington 700 Varmint 22-250 back in 1979 I believe, it was around $200. I probably still have the receipt somewhere :) Everything was cheap back then, in perspective to today.

And of course it's still in that blended heard!
That’s about the time I bought my first r700 adl and it was south of $300 like yours. I always thought of it as being inexpensive too. However if you look at the difference in the dollar they actually cost more money back then. I say that because Walmart just had them on sale for $199 in today’s money. They must have a huge profit margin or they were selling them at a loss and I can’t see Walmart doing that.

Reactions: BuLLet
You’re getting a good barreled action with a cheap stock and trigger. I’ve owned a couple of these rifles, here are my recommendations to those considering them.

-Go for the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 308. Nothing wrong with 308 but anything the 308 can do, the Creedmoor can do better.

-Put a decent scope on it, preferably fixed power or first focal plane.

-When you feel like you can shoot better than the rifle, look into a free floating stock or chassis system. ADL models are nice for magazine fed chassis but those may not be ideal for hunting.

-If you do stick with 308, mine really likes the Hornady 168gr ELD Match bullets.

Buy it, pull the barrel,stock, and trigger, and then use the bolt and action as a base for a precision platform.

And personally, if I were you, I’d buy it sooner rather than later due to the current political climate.

Ok within the next few months I am looking to purchase this rifle. Before I do I would like to get some ideas and thoughts on this rifle. Thanks for your help.
Bwhntr53
I would stay away from Remingtons that have been manufactured in the last 20 years. This is coming from a hardcore Remington shooter that owns CURRENTLY six 40XB's that have been purchased new. The ones made in the 1960's through late 80's (personally by me) were absolutely wonderful! The ones manufactured in the very late 90's were awful! And it took thousands of dollars to make them right. Customer Services was non existent. And I was sent targets that had nothing to do with the purchased rifle. Recently, I called the "Custom Shop" regarding the manufacturing date of an older 40XB. The person responded by saying "What is a a 40XB? I hung up the phone. I was finished as a 50+ years, devoted buyer. Save your hard earn dollars and go elsewhere. Anywhere else!

Bwhntr53

An ADL would be a good starting rifle. I'm not sure I would go .308 as you can get 6.5 CM ammo at the same price point.

If you want something slightly different, I just bought this when it was on sale for $5 more: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020194010

I haven't shot it yet. I think I bought it because it's the first Remington I've seen in .260 where they finally got the twist rate correct and it's the 5R barrel. Bolt knob is removable as the handle is threaded as is the muzzle. This is just the Magpul hunter stock but what do you expect for $675?

That’s about the time I bought my first r700 adl and it was south of $300 like yours. I always thought of it as being inexpensive too. However if you look at the difference in the dollar they actually cost more money back then. I say that because Walmart just had them on sale for $199 in today’s money. They must have a huge profit margin or they were selling them at a loss and I can’t see Walmart doing that.

I know that in 1976 - 77 you could buy a 788 in either .223 or .308 with a Tasco fixed 4x for $125 out of the Shotgun News. My 1100TB trap gun with Monte Carlo stock was like $220. And minimum wage was like $2.30, lol.

In 1976/77 I was working in McDonalds! I started @ $2.05 an hour and recall after being there a while getting a 5 cent raise! Cheap bastards :)

I know that in 1976 - 77 you could buy a 788 in either .223 or .308 with a Tasco fixed 4x for $125 out of the Shotgun News. My 1100TB trap gun with Monte Carlo stock was like $220. And minimum wage was like $2.30, lol.

I thought I was the only person that bought stuff out of shotgun news. The younger guys don’t know about the good ol days. You could buy damn near anything out of shotgun news. Samurai swords to auto sears. Within a few pages were all the parts for the belt fed ww1 machine guns including the tripod and turret. Not that I knew anyone who bought those things, but they were available. Sorry for getting off topic but I haven’t thought about shotgun news in a long time. Thanks for reminding me. I’m gonna try to get a subscription. 😂

I actually do have the receipt! It was 11/29/79 and it cost me 275.96 + Tax, a little more then I recalled :)

Bought it from Glen Cove Sports Shop on Long Island, got my first Posness Warren Shotgun Reloader from there too. Oh and my first AR15 too!

Oh boy....

Think about that for a minute. After 41 years of inflation Remington can still sell the model 700 for less than we paid and turn a profit. They were slaying us back then.

I'm a fan of my R700 308 ADL. Can get around .6-.7 MOA with handloads, or about 1moa with FGMM ammo.

I did change out the trigger and stock. Factory ones were awful.

Reactions: DRAGON64
I had and sold my Mod700 SPS varmint in 308 to a hide member last year and have ki d of regretted it since.
It was a great shooting rifle for what it was and what I put into it.
Out of the box it was pretty good but after adding a Jewel trigger set at 1.5# a B&C Medalist stock and Badger rail with good glass it was surprisingly good.
All pretty modest upgrades but it was a shooter.

I owned a 700 years ago, my first serious attempt at a decent long range rifle for smacking ferals at a distance.
No regrets, it was a consistent piece of kit.
Enjoy!
My first 700 was an Adl about 40 years ago and it was sub moa with factory ammo. It got me into reloading and long range shooting. I’ve got a few custom rigs with defiance actions but I consider myself a Remington guy. People talk smack about them but Remington 700s are damn good rifles. If you don’t mind me asking what brand of rifle are you shooting nowadays?