• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington model 700 recoil lug question

338LM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2003
STL Missouri
Pertaining to a Model 700 short action in .308 caliber, what is being gained by replacing the 3/16" thick recoil lug with a thicker lug? What is the real reason why factory recoil lugs are replaced with thicker ones? Can a rifle with a 3/16" lug do everything that a thicker lug can do?

Re: Remington model 700 recoil lug question

Some one with more expertise will chime in I am sure,
but I believe it is to add more rigidity to the recoil lug and thus the entire platform.

Also thicker/aftermarket lugs are typically machined or lapped to be more concentric and flat.
Providing better fitment of the action/lug/barrel...

Andy

If machined correctly the factory lug will do everything that a thicker one would do especially in 308 or lesser calibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If machined correctly the factory lug will do everything that a thicker one would do especially in 308 or lesser calibers. </div></div>

+1

That being said, I use the Tubb Lug for my custom builds and the factory Lugs for tune ups. No matter the lug used, Factory or after market, surface grind them, both sides. None are perfectly parallel. I check all lugs for flatness and parallelism prior to using them. I've yet to find a perfect one.

I'm getting tired of using over sized lugs that require inletting all the time and special tools for alignment. I'm going to start by just surface grinding both sides and going with it and see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Citysmasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you bed a gun, do you tape the lug so there is clearance? </div></div>

I do. Bottom, sides, and front (muzzle end)

Sorry for a stupid question and I don't mean to steal your thread. What accuracy issue, if any do you run into when the recoil lug is resting on a bedded action?

Material composition/temper/parallelism is key compared to lug thickness.
Compare tool steels to chrome moly.

WTC's lugs are second to none.