• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington Nickel Plated Brass

cnofear2000

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Has anyone used the nickel plated brass made by Remington. I'm comparing new brass. The common choice is Lapua, is that because it offers the most accuracy or because you can reload it more times? Thanks for the help.

Chris
Savage Model 10FCP-HS
Remington 700SPS

Re: Remington Nickel Plated Brass

Most people don't reload nickel plated brass. There are some that do for various reasons. Generally nickle brass is reloaded for a specific reason or way to differentiate ammo. I've heard of people having problems with multiple reloads and plating coming off and advaned wear on equipment. I have not reloaded any rifle ammo in nickle but have done some pistol ammo when it gets mixed in with the pick up brass so my experience with it is limited.

I've seen a few posts that say "don't go there" for rifle.

Pistol: The reason why many top IPSC/USPSA shooters use nickel plated brass is usually said for the increased lubricity. In double-stack magazines (STI/SV/Para/Tang) there may be some slight benefit. I've used both and don't have a strong preference. I definitely get more split cases after less reloadings with nickel plated (Starline & Armscor).

Rifle: In my case, I neck turn all my LR brass so the nickel plated stuff didn't make sense. I figured I'd be turning a good amount of the plating off the neck. FWIW, I can't say I've seen nickel plated rifle brass being used in competition.

"The common choice is Lapua, is that because it offers the most accuracy or because you can reload it more times?"

General consensus is Lapua has tighter tolerances, more uniform, and is harder brass than Rem. These factors would affect accuracy and longevity.

Nickel is good. For finding in the forest floor. Otherwise...in rifle caliber, forget it. Will kill your brass. The plating begins to chip off and will score the steel dies. In pistol...with carbide dies...maybe, maybe not. Some last forever and some die soon. I haven't had many problems with the pistol brass. Some .45 Colt brass with nickel that I have are shedding the nickel after 2 reloadings. Others, in .357 Maggie have gone 20 reloadings. Have had problems with rifle brass. I'll reload pistol nickel. Not rifle...except for once and leave it where it falls. JMHO

Thanks for all the help!

Chris
Savage Model 10FCP-HS
Remington 700SPS