• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington Quality?

JimT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2004
Sterling, AK
I recently received a brand new M700 SPS SS .223 for a build. I intend to put a fast twist barrel on it and use it for a coyote/deer/bigger varmint gun. The barrel that came on it is a 1 in 12 twist. I was thinking about shooting it first with some 52gr bullets just to see how it would do. Prior to mounting up a scope on it, I was looking it over. The stock is not the greatest. It was hard against the barrel almost all the way to the forend. Change of plans, decided to pull it apart. The bottom metal looks like it is made out of melted down Matchbox cars. Took the stock off. It looked cheesier inside than out. Put that aside, and put the barreled action in the barrel vise. The action came off without fuss. The receiver ring had a couple of noticeable dings in it. The front of the bolt was black, so I thought I would see what the lug engagement looked like. I put the bolt back in the action and worked it a few times. Partial engagement on one lug. As a local 'smith and Guild member said, it looks like it was bead blasted with gravel.

The Surgeon round actions are looking like a really good deal right now.

Re: Remington Quality?

Yep, gotta agree the Surgeon action look really good. If you already got a Remington and want a custom built off of it than thats fine. But if your starting out with nothing then having to buy a rifle just to have it taken apart just for the action then the Surgeon would be the ticket.

Just my .02, but you have the rem action in hand so spend the extra to have it tuned up. Then with the extra you saved from not buying the surgeon you will have plenty to get you a nice barrel and stock.

As others have said, if you were looking to build a custom and didn't already have a 700 I'd say go custom. However, since you already have the 700 action, I'd say send it to a good smith and have them work it over.

One of my gunsmiths and I had this debate the other day. The advantage to a Surgeon action in my opinion is a longer tenion, intigrated 20 MOA rail, smoother action, better recoil lug and the bolt. I've seen Rem 700 bolt handles come off. But I also have several 700's that have been blueprinted and shoot really well. It sucks to drop a bunch of money on a high end 700 and still have to have it worked over by a good gunsmith to get it's full potential. I think anymore the way these factory rifles are put together that you are better off to buy a cheap 700, have it torn down and rebuilt. I was looking at a youth model for one of my girls yesterday and decided to buy an action and have it built. At least then I can start with a rifle that I know is built right. It really comes down to what you feel like spending, if you compare the cost of a Surgeon to what it costs to get a 700 worked over, I bet you find the price difference isn't that much.

+1...Bite the bullet and do the surgeon build. When your done youll be glad you did it. Remingtons are Remingtons and Surgeons are Surgeons.

seen to many .25moa remington 700 builds. Nothing wrong with either IMO.

It runs $150 to $200 to have the action trued plus around $500 for a new donor Rem 700 action. The Stiller Tac30 runs $850 plus a trigger. What's better? There are a lot of very accurate 700's out there, it's a personal choice.

If you have it trued, be careful who you have "True" the action. "Truing" seems to mean a bunch of different things to different gunsmiths. If you have a local guy do it, make sure he explains what he does to true it, and make sure he actually does what he says.
Or go with GAP or R&D and don't worry about it
smile.gif

I shoot a factory Remington barreled action. My first two upgrades(which I did immediately) were a Mcmillan stock and a Badger bottom metal. I didn't even bed it, I just dropped it in the Mcmillan A5 and torqued it to 60lbs with the Badger M4. Shoots .5MOA with a 95gr Berger and 44gr RL22. Easy to clean too. Broke it in by firing 20 rounds, deep cleaned between the first 10, and every 2 after that to 20.