• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington R-15 .30 remington ar

Bob L Swagger

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2010
Base of the Appalachians
Im having a problem with the dust cover staying closed on my new remington R-15 .30 remington ar. It closes, but if you tap, move or bump the rifle even the slightest bit, the dust cover pops open. I called remington about this, the representative said he has heard of this problem 2 or 3 times before. Has anyone on here experienced this problem?

Re: Remington R-15 .30 remington ar

Most of us dont worry about trivial little things such as a dust cover popping open. Have you tried swapping dust covers? The ejection port could be milled just a little off and extra long where the catch is .... and even swapping the cover wont fix anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of us dont worry about trivial little things such as a dust cover popping open. Have you tried swapping dust covers? The ejection port could be milled just a little off and extra long where the catch is .... and even swapping the cover wont fix anything. </div></div>

I like my dustcover closed thank you very much.

Check the Latch Plunger for proper function (sounds to me like it isn't latching properly on the upper).

Check to see that your plunger freely moving when you push it down with your finger and immediately popping up when you release it? If it is getting "hung up" or otherwise not operating smoothly, that may account for your dust cover popping open unexpectedly. If it is not working properly, squirt some break free on it and clean the area while moving the plunger. See if that resolved the problem. Oil the plunger as needed.

If that doesn't do it, replace the assembly with a new one (they're cheap).

When the bolt carrier is out of the upper receiver the dust cover stays closed. As far as not worrying about something so trivial, the rifle is brand new, if you bought a new car and the windows didn't roll up... would you consider that trivial also?

Does the dust cover affect the function of the rifle? NO it doesnt afffect it. Windows not rolling up is a security risk and makes the inside noisy.

Apples and oranges arguement.

Lets see pics of the dust cover and the ejection port, then we can make a determination as to what the issue could be..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the dust cover affect the function of the rifle? NO it doesnt afffect it. Windows not rolling up is a security risk and makes the inside noisy.

Apples and oranges arguement. </div></div>

It prevents "dust" and "debris" from entering the upper receiver. I paid for it, I want it to work. Security risk... Ha! Makes the inside noisy... HAHA! NICE!

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

Not sure from the pics, but it kinda looks like the front edge of the dust cover is rubbing the receiver when it closes, and may not be seating fully. The plunger might not be getting it's full bite.

I had this happen on a old bushy ar and I found that the door was slightly warped forcing the plunger thing from having good contact. I simply bent the dustcover outer sides away from the rifle slightly forcing the center to move inward just a hair and that was the trick to having better contact. I like having everything work properly on my rifle even if it is a small thing like a dust cover door, just one of those things.

if it stays shut with the bcg removed is the latch hitting the bcg cutout? if so and the block holding the spring loaded detent is hitting the cutout in thr bcg then any movement will make it unlock. see if you can tell if the bcg is stopping it from closing correctly mabe some sharpie pen on the latch and close it and see if the sharpie marks the bcg?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of us dont worry about trivial little things such as a dust cover popping open. Have you tried swapping dust covers? The ejection port could be milled just a little off and extra long where the catch is .... and even swapping the cover wont fix anything. </div></div>

many of us aren't weekend shooters and cant afford to NOT worry about the dust cover popping open, i have all my covers closed, using my rifles in rain, sleet, snow, dirt, sand, i prefer my cover to be fully operational, if there is a prob with the ejection port bein over milled, you may need to look at a new pin for your dust cover or spring, i wouldn't think it would be to hard to have a smith or possibly yourself make another pin a bit longer so it catches and wont open until the bolt is charged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of us dont worry about trivial little things such as a dust cover popping open. Have you tried swapping dust covers? The ejection port could be milled just a little off and extra long where the catch is .... and even swapping the cover wont fix anything. </div></div>

many of us aren't weekend shooters and cant afford to NOT worry about the dust cover popping open, i have all my covers closed, using my rifles in rain, sleet, snow, dirt, sand, i prefer my cover to be fully operational, if there is a prob with the ejection port bein over milled, you may need to look at a new pin for your dust cover or spring, i wouldn't think it would be to hard to have a smith or possibly yourself make another pin a bit longer so it catches and wont open until the bolt is charged. </div></div>
+1 thanks skinney

thank you all for your input, i think the BCG is hitting the latch on the dust cover. You can see in the pics, it looks like the cut out on the BCG is slightly forward.

It looks to me like the relief on the carrier is not to spec or your carrier is going too far forward. I'm sitting here looking at the one on my m4 and it lines up much different then yours... however, I have an m16 bcg in mine so it may be different. Although, I think the difference is just in the rear of the carrier, i'm not aware of the side milling being different.

Here is a pic (not mine, but looks the same) that shows a better alignment.
ML012.jpg

It almost looks to me like the carrier is too far forward, which begs the question: Is (one or more of) your bolt, chamber, barrel extension, etc. out of spec?

pop the pins and take a picture of the bottom side of the upper receiver with and without the BCG installed.

Just got the rifle back from DPMS and it now works great. They actually had to mill away some material from the bolt carrier group in order for the plunger to fully seat.

They sure did.. if you look at my other post a little further down the list, you can see a pic that DPMS posted of what they did.