• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington R5 Milspec.300WM or FN PBR XP 24".300WSM

916Plinker

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Its down to these two for my first long range bolt rifle. I orig. wanted a standard 700p .300wm w/x-mark trigger. Then I started surfing around SH and found great info on other makes. Search button did not help me that much so thought I would ask as a new topic. Ballistic wise the wsm seems to be just about the same as wm. I am looking at 1000yards or less.

Any suggestions between the two?

Re: Remington R5 Milspec.300WM or FN PBR XP 24".300WSM

The 5r is good but you can get a good deal on the 300wsm pbr action from CDNN now. The PBR and a mcmillan would be right around the price of the 5r. Most of the PBR rifles for sale used are these from CDNN, generally they have a houge pillar bedded stock, not the full bedded that the xr normally comes with.

I know about the deals on cdnn, 699 for the pbr. This is why I was asking compared to the 950+ for the Rem 5R. I was trying to look before I leap on a "good deal" Buy the FN or the Rem??? Any advantage on the rem vs the fn??

why not go with something a little lower budget, and a smaller caliber so you can gradually move up to .300wm?

Anyway, from what I've heard, you can't go wrong with a 5R for a first bolt gun.

We bought three 20 inch 308 PBR XP for our little group. All three hold
3/4 moa or less with plain old Remington core lock factory ammo. We were tickled. We bought actions and then the full length aluminum bedded hogue stocks.

Two of us own the Remington Police/sendero in 300 win mag. Mine will hold 1/2 moa with hornady heavy mag or federal premiums in TSX 180 gr.

The Remington in 300 is what I would grab in open terrain. The FN is what I would grab in MOUT or woodland.

The FN carries great and is dandy for getting in a tree stand or shooting out a truck window. Medium contour barrel is just about right.

The Remington just feels right though on a prone position on a ridgeline or hay field.

Tough choice ;-)

Of course you are also throwing in the extra 4 inches which detracts from the handling. Also the WSM round is starting to compare with the 300 win mag.

Based on that I would go Remington I guess since the length and ballistics are now so similar.

lookin around at ammo, seems wsm is $$$ than wm. Stops at 180g. Hmmm

I own a 308 5r and one of the cdnn 300wsm pbr rifles. I like both of them. I like the winchester action better than remington (CRF, firing pin safety, 3 positon safety). With what CDNN is selling the FN for you can always turn your money back out of it if you decide you want something else. The remington has a heavier barrel than the FN. My FN is setup as my hunting rifle currently since my 7mm Rem Mag wouldnt group better than 4MOA, I am getting around .5MOA with the FN in a pillar bedded stock. My remington will do around .25MOA but I had to have the crown recut because the factory crown was not cut well.