• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington R5 Milspec - First Range Session

dbsinh2o

SSgt
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
VA & RI
First time at the range with my Remington R5 Milspec/USO ST-10.

100 yards
Harris bipod
Temperature 43 degrees
Winds 17 gusting to 25 MPH
Ammo surplus FN 7.62mm Ball, 1981

Best group .680 inches

Not too bad for less than ideal conditions, with cheap ammo.

R5030511_0680.jpg

Re: Remington R5 Milspec - First Range Session

Nice shooting. Escecially with cheap ammo

While the 5R seems to be hit or miss on QC it appears you may have a good one. Funny thing, we had a long range BR match last weekend and one of the guys shot his custom build 308 in one relay and his 5R in the other. The 5R outshot the expensive rifle but a good bit.

Thats great for a new 5R. I think if you could work on getting a better rear rest it would help your verticle stringing.
Funny story, I have had 6 .308 rifles in the past 3 years and my best 300 yard group was shot with a 5R. shooting 168 grn SMKs.
Enjoy,
SScott

Yeah, my left arm isn't so great for a rear rest. I've got a Caldwell rest & rear bag, but since I really dislike shooting in cold weather I went for the quick method.

Okay - just figured out what an SMK was. Will order 5 boxes, and shoot 'em off the rest to see what I get.

not bad!

My 5R really likes RemMatch 168gr and Fed GMM 168gr almost equally. Hornady Match 168gr didn't group as tight nor did the Lapua 155gr but I haven't given it a fair shake. All shot sub moa at 100yds.

I'll be testing some handloads tomorrow with both 168Amax's and 175 SMK's and am anxious to see how they do, I'm new to handloading.

I've done a couple things to my 5R including a Rifle Basix trigger, great improvement and changed the stock to an A5 that I bedded myself. Just got a bolt handle installed by Mark at Short Action Customs last week. I'm now done with modding it.....or I may get it threaded for a suppressor...ya never know.

Nice shooting by the way. I've read a couple times that the 5R starts shooting its best once you get about 200 rounds down the pipe, not sure if there's any validity to this or not but I'm getting close to that count now so we'll see.

Nice shooting considering the cheap ammo. My 5R is a tack driver with 168 Federal Match Kings. I got consistent 1/2 groups at 100 yards with it. A buddy, who actually has more time behind it than I do, has taken Antelope at 800 yards with it. He said it is quite happy with the way it performs. He has had it out to 1,000 yards on several occasions. You will love the rifle.

Scott, will try that load in my next round of testing. Really weird that Sierra shows max for Varget/175gr at 41.7 and Hodgden starts at 42 grains and goes to 45 compressed. I built my OCW test loads based on Sierra so I'll basically be repeating the test using the H manual next. Wierd that they're that far off but oh well.

Nice vise by the way, I've got the same one.

Here's mine. 4 shots out of my 5R at 100.

Load Data:
Nosler brass
Winchester large rifle magnum primers
155gr scenars
46gr varget
OAL 2.800
img00125201101191732.jpg

Here's my best group with current configuration and Fed GMM. I figure handloads should get rid of the left/right "fliers"!
[img:left]
DSC_0064.jpg
[/img]

Maybe I'm mistaken here, but I thought you measured groups center to center on the widest spaced holes? If you measure the outside edges, that would add about .3" to your group size.

Oops. Scratch that - I see the math where you subtracted .3 from the outside measurement.

I'll have to put a 5R on my shopping list.

This was shot yesterday at the range. Three shot group at 100 yards measuring .261 inch group. Not my best, but not bad for below freezing temps! These rounds are seated to 2.855 and the best groups I've seen are around .191 inch CTC.
P3060094 by jen_anderton, on Flickr[/img]

These groups were shot the same day but these are seated to 2.81.
P3060091 by jen_anderton, on Flickr[/img]

This is my setup. Both loads are great, and I know I haven't shot them the best they could be(I'm still learning
grin.gif
), but they truely are awesome. Both shoot slow at @2400 fps with less then 10 fps standard deviation, but that doesn't seem to stop them making 1000 yards. I've seen better than .3 moa at 1000 yards.

P2270087 by jen_anderton, on Flickr[/img]

Damn it, I've been trying to decide between a 5R and a SPS-T and this is pushing back towards the 5R, lol.

I wonder how much of the "hit or miss" 5R's is the shooters....

I think any gun's accuracy is subject to the shooter and the ammo it's fed. I KNOW my 5R can shoot better than I can and that's all I want. I've got guitars I can't play for shit, a boat and bass gear that I can barely catch a fish in but man, to squeeze off five rounds at 100 yards and put them within a half inch......with a slightly modified factory rifle....now that's rewarding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn it, I've been trying to decide between a 5R and a SPS-T and this is pushing back towards the 5R, lol.

I wonder how much of the "hit or miss" 5R's is the shooters.... </div></div>

Probably about the same as the SPS's. I have a SPS-V that will hold it's own.

Not 100yds but a tad over 200yds. 46.3grs Varget 168SMK

200Y463grVarget.jpg

and @600yds.....
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WrS22wbIi_c"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WrS22wbIi_c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I agree completely! I might not be the best shooter, but my 5r makes me feel like I am. And to answer the other question I think its the shooters not the gun. I can't tell you how many times I start hitting a tight group but I end up fudging it because of excitement. 5r definitely over the sps tactical. I have a friend who is working on one(sps) currently and if he finds out anything different I'll let you know, buy you wont go wrong with the 5r.

This is the rifle I regret selling.
OK, since were playing show and tell, I thought I would break out the ole target. My buddy shot the rifle after me and his group was about .030 larger for five shots, and he has his target posted on his reloading room wall also.
SScott
Remington700308300YD.jpg

Remington5Rtgt.jpg

Mine should arive in another day or two. I have the GAP in my sig, but the 5R has just been calling to me. I guess there are worse things than owning two nice .308s.

I love my 5r.. It will group .5 at 100yds. Has a 10x SS scope for now, with a NXS 8x32x56 on order. Just shot my first F-class at 300yrds with 15-25mph wind and scored a 553-7x. Hope to do better when I can see the x ring and pay attention to the wind.

I love mine with good ammo these beast preform!

My 5 R can shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards with 45 gn varget "hbn" coated 175 SMK OAL at 2.90"

Thats on a Mc millan a-5 stock and Jewel trigger set to 1 lb

A typical group with me doing everything right. A 5 shot group @100 yards with my 5R. I always seem to pull one just a tad out. Still chaseing that one hole group though.
moregunstuff7.jpg

Here she is with Barrel threaded, Teflon coating, BO bolt knob installed, Trigger down to 2.5 lb's, H&S DBM, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50, Mark 4 20 moa base, Zeiss rings, & With my YHM 762 suppressor.
005-2.jpg

I never get tired of seeing that beautiful OD finish on your now former 5R. Took this pick at the ranges yesterday....100yds INDOOR, Hell yeah!
IMG_0239.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolex24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never get tired of seeing that beautiful OD finish on your now former 5R. Took this pick at the ranges yesterday....100yds INDOOR, Hell yeah!
IMG_0239.jpg

</div></div>

That is bad ass. where is that. Nice rig too

Like the rifle, but love that range. Loc?

I am very pleased with my Rem 700 5R 308. Pic on the right is from the 5r. Left is from the POF-USA 30" 308.
Indoor range, 100yrd, .625" group.

album.php

picture.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the rifle, but love that range. Loc? </div></div>

Looks like "Open Range" in Louisville. I went there last week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike_Indy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the rifle, but love that range. Loc? </div></div>

Looks like "Open Range" in Louisville. I went there last week. </div></div>

Yep, "Open Range". Really nice facility.

Mine doesn't seem to like 150 SSTs, but i have some 165 SSTs & SMK il try.

Love my 5R. Mine also wears an ST-10. On a mild day I made 10/10 hits on an IPSC at 920yds with M118LR. Even made one hit out of 15 at 1300yds.

I dunno if it still shoots submoa, but I was able to shoot little 1/2 and 3/4moa 5rd groups with it when I did some load development.

My buddy bought one recently and his shoots fantastically.

I'm a happy 5r owner myself. Shoots pretty well out of the box. The 11.2" twist rate even does a good job stabilizing the 190gr. bullets at short range.

Had to add this. 13 shots over all 2 flyers and 2 trying to sight it in. 9 in the one big hole. I love this rifle. Don't mind the writing that says 10 shots i wrote that before i had forgotten how many shots i shot. Same load as above.
6jdnrr.jpg

3469esi.jpg

Makes me wish that I hadn't sold mine. I'm going to have to pick up another one of these rifles.

Ok. This may be a stupid question but what is the actual model of a 5R? I have seen some 700's with 5R but that stupid looking triangle barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crackerbacks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok. This may be a stupid question but what is the actual model of a 5R? I have seen some 700's with 5R but that stupid looking triangle barrel.</div></div>

From the back of the manual from the one I had and sold...
"Model 700 Stainless"
Bolt Action Centerfire Rifle
24" Barrel .308 WIN
700 Stainless Special 5--R Milspec Barrel

Yeah the rifle isn't in they're catalog and they supposedly don't produce that many a year. Unless they've changed things it isn't on their website. I got mine from Scott at snipercountrypx.com. Came in a cardboard box with a remington sticker on it and a manual.

My 5R shoots regular 1/2 MOA with Black Hills Match 175.

It seems to like the heavier rounds. It shoots so well, I save my time buying it instead of reloading.

The biggest downfall to me is the trigger. Swapped it out to a Jewell and that did it for me (plus an AICS).

Can't wait to get my new 5R out!

These pictures make me want to shoot!

The only complaint I have for my 5R is the stiff trigger. In fact I may get rid of it because of that. Also debating whether to throw the towel and give it an overhaul - adding an FTE brake, tactical knob, and jewell trigger pack, possibly a new stock

The 5R i just ordered had 10th anniversary .308 on the barrell. does yours say that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yej0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only complaint I have for my 5R is the stiff trigger. In fact I may get rid of it because of that. Also debating whether to throw the towel and give it an overhaul - adding an FTE brake, tactical knob, and jewell trigger pack, possibly a new stock

</div></div>

I had mine bedded in a McMillan A-5, gunsmith took the creep out of the trigger and adjusted it to 1lb. I think it's worth it. So it takes alot of my error out of it. But i still plan on giving it a complete overhall to the point all thats left is the action. I plan on putting a KMW bolt knob on it, surgeon bottom metal, and a bartelin m40/m24 5R, then getting it painted.

36028_1337146910490_1285620147_30773994_326575_n.jpg