• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington R5 or SPS

bgbeards

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Orange County, CA
I am new to bolt action rifles and have been getting the bug for some long range shooting. I am wanting to get a rifle for up 1000 yard shooting. I like the R5 but was wondering if money would better be spent on an SPS-V and upgrading the stock, or should I get the R5? This would be in .308 btw. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Remington R5 or SPS

The 5r is about as good as it gets for an out of the box rifle. The SPS-V is good and if you replace the stock it's better but the 5R is best.

They are both a great was to get started into long range shooting. I personaly went with the SPS T cus the stock on the 5R does nothing for me and offers absolutly no cheek weld for me. For others its a great fit. Either way, you'll probably have a great shooting rifle.

I went with the SPS T and put it in an LTR take-off stock.
That translates to about $600 or so on the rifle, and then another $150 for the stock (got it used through the Hide). I did some more work on it, but that's the base of the project.

SPSTright.jpg

I have one of each, and they shoot about the same, maybe with a slight edge to the 5R. The 5r has a 1:11.25 twist 24" bbl, while the SPS-V has a 1:12 twist 26" bbl. The velocities are pretty close from both guns, with the same ammo. It depends if you are going to change the stock or not. The 5r stock doesnt fit me real well, and the sps stock went in the garbage. I put a Karsten cheekpiece on the 5r and it's gtg. Either one will get you to 1000yds. Good luck with your choice.

Buy the R5 in my opinion.......alot of guys like the stock so if you don't sell it for $150 and buy another. Or put a cheek piece on it. The Barrel on the R5 makes the whole deal....SS and it will last and shoot great for 15,000 rounds or more...plus at 24 inches you can cut it down, thread it whatever you want.

Derek

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derek Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Barrel on the R5 makes the whole deal....SS and it will last and shoot great for 15,000 rounds or more...</div></div>

How many rounds do you have down your 5R barrel?

Cause mine went about 4k or so before the throat was so long 168TSX's made it a single-shot rifle.

some 12-twist barrels won't stabilize 175's without loading them hot. one poster on ar15.com (whose experience dictates he knows what he's talking about) had just that issue, and needed to go faster than 2675fps to keep them stable.

with a faster twist, that becomes a non-issue.

Either bbl will shoot the 155's just fine at 1k. John Whidden won the nPalma portion of the long range matches at Camp Perry using a 1/10" twist bbl. My AI with a 1/12 shot 155 lapuas into 1/2 moa.
I can't see spend a Grand on the 5R when the SPS will shoot pretty darn close. You can get the SPS, eventually rebarrel and get a better used stock and still be close to the price of the 5R. The 5R is a better if you want to spend $1000 instead of $500 and don't want to alter the rifle at all. I would also prefer the 26" bbl if I was going to 1000 yards...every bit of velocity helps with a 308 at 1K.

So the 20inch barrel on the sps should be fine to 1000 i i use 155's. I plan on putting it in a mcree stock. and having a surefire brake machined into the barrel by APA.