• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington repaired new rifle

defensefiles

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2008
NE Pennsylvania
Bought a 700 sps-v in .308, my first Remington. Some snap caps arrived(ammo was back ordered) and they wouldn't extract. Thought they were bad so picked up a box of Remington Express and they wouldn't extract either. Both had major scatches too from cycling. Returned the rifle to the store and they shipped it off to an "authorized" repair center.

I get a call from the store that the repair center says the rifle had been "blown up, probably from a hot reload and the bolt was fractured". I told them that was great, except I hadn't fired the weapon yet.

The repair center then shipped it to the factory. I just found out it is being shipped back so I called Remington to see if it had been replaced, repaired, etc. and was told the bolt and shroud were replaced and the it was test fired and was safe.

Questions, could it have been proof tested at the factory and damaged? Wouldn't there be more damage than just the bolt and shroud if the bolt was "fractured"?

I have never had trouble with any new firearm but being told I blew up a gun I never fired and then it gets repaired and not replaced has me a little uneasy. Any opinions?

Re: Remington repaired new rifle

No. Never thought a blown up, fractured bolt, etc, would be a repair. A no-brainer replacement.

I called Remington today to see what had occurred. I assumed it was replaced because the rifle was received and logged in for some time but was looked at and shipped in the same day.(per Remingtons online firearm tracking) I had called before that and all the customer service was able to tell me was they had received it in but it would be 7 to 10 days before they looked at it. I was expecting a call or something, after they looked at it.

well i'd look it over when you get it and if it looks brand new...cool....other wise call and demand a replacement. sounds t me that the only trouble was in the bolt and if all that was replaced..then ur g2g...up to you

Mag particle only shows cracks, not yeilds without a crack. Screw the mag particle method and demand a new rifle. You paid for a new rifle, you want a new rifle. Don't let them take the route of "we'll repair it"

It has never been fired, you bought new, you want to pop it's cherry, plain and simple.

Sounds shady. For the cost of a new rifle versus liability if something happens, you would think they'd just swap yours out for new, no questions asked.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds shady. For the cost of a new rifle versus liability if something happens, you would think they'd just swap yours out for new, no questions asked.

-matt </div></div>

That's what I was expecting. The cost of shipping it from Scranton to Texas to NY to Kentucky to Scranton, plus the repairs, should have come awfully close to totaling it. How could the bolt be trashed but everything else is fine?

If I call Remington up and demand a new rifle, aren't they just going to say, "we fixed it and held up our end of the warranty"? ....unless I get it examined by another source that says its still messed up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mag particle only shows cracks, not yeilds without a crack. Screw the mag particle method and demand a new rifle. You paid for a new rifle, you want a new rifle. Don't let them take the route of "we'll repair it"

It has never been fired, you bought new, you want to pop it's cherry, plain and simple. </div></div>

Exactly. I never had the chance to demand a new rifle but that's what I paid for. By the time I talked to Remington, the first time it was in transit and second time, it was shipped already.

This is my 17th firearm purchased in my years and my first problem ever. Maybe it was my turn for a problem but this was my first Remington and at this point, my last.

My 13 year old son was why the 308 caliber and this model was chosen. He loves it. And now I don't trust it. I suppose my only choice is to call Remington Monday and demand a new one.