• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington replacement trigger?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I tried a search and got a LOT of results. I know this has to have been asked before, but,...

I have a Remington 700 SPS-V. Since it is an SPS it has the X-Mark trigger from what I understand, and it can't be adjusted very well.

Which aftermarket trigger makes a good replacement?
I am familiar with some of the names- Jewell and Timney. I saw others like Shilen on Midway's site , and while I know they make good barrels I didn't know they made triggers also.

Is there a better choice than jewell?

Jim

Re: Remington replacement trigger?

I disagree with the blanket statement that the x-mark is a bad trigger and can't be adjusted very well. I have one, as do many on here, and they work just fine. All I've done to my trigger is lighten the pull and leave the rest alone. It works just fine for me. Fires when I want, the pull is light but still enough that I have to want that round to go downrange.

Now, are there better options? Sure, but if the choice is to fire what I've got or drop a couple hundred to see if I might like something else...a couple hundred can buy a lot of rounds, even in this climate.

Field trigger - 2.5-3lb. This includes walk 'n shoot match work.

Stationary match trigger - 1.5lb min, and the gun stays clear of the field.

BR - that's a special case.

I have an old Rem 700 7mm Mag that's been inherited in moderately poor (internal) condition. The internals of the trigger group are just too deteriorated to trust.

Will be wanting to replace the trigger soon, and when it gets done, it will be with a basic Rem 700 trigger.

The rifle's purpose does not support a custom approach, and besides; it is my philosophy that the marksman adapts their skills to the rifle at hand, and not vice-versa. Pity the poor marksman who can only ply his trade on the most esoteric of platforms.

Greg

All of my bolt guns have Jewell triggers. I tried a Chip McCormick trigger on one of my AR's and was pleased.

You cannot go wrong with the Jewell. To me, the X-Mark trigger is too wide and the Jewell just feels better.

I have Jewel, Shilen and Tuned Remington triggers in various rifles. The Shilen is a nice upgrade if you dont mind the narrow trigger. The Jewel feels better than anything I have tried.
The results with a factory trigger depend on who is doing the work.

I will try to light the pull on mine before I replace it. It just feels heavy enough to almost give my finger a cramp pulling it.

Jim

What does it weigh presently Pep? I could not keep my X-Mark at the 2.5lbs I'd set it to. It kept creeping back up regardless of application of blue locktite, nail polish, dog vomit...

I put a new Rifle Basix on it and it came at 2.3 lbs. Damn thing came out of adjustment too, after about 40 rounds! Went to at least 5 lbs. The owner of the range I was shooting at, tuned it for me; all the way down to 10 ounces! It is amazing now and I can easily bump it up to 2.5 when I want to take it afield. That said, the Timney is said to be stouter and a better value. Someday I'll find out.

Point is, the X-Mark can be adjusted but the screw needs to be staked in some fashion.

Good luck.

I agree on trying the X Mark first. If you lighten the spring pressure some, you can easily get 2.5 pounds out of it....at least the three I have adjusted just fine for me....

Timney shilen jewell and rifle basix makes excellent triggers. IMHO the Timney is the best value for the $ but thats just my opinion. I have about three or four Mausers with their trigger and they are wonderful.

I have 2 rifles with Rifle Basix and they are set at measured 3.5lbs. Nice and crisp. Others think that it's about 2lbs.

In my opinion the Jewell is perfect

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Pity the poor marksman who can only ply his trade on the most esoteric of platforms.

Greg</div></div>

I like that Greg, many on this forum should take it to heart.

Back on subject, I have a Shillen and it is excellent. Adjusted an old style factory trigger myself (following Randy's [HateCA] instructions which used to be posted here somewhere) and it is also very good at about 3.5lbs. Old style fact. triggers can be found pretty cheap sometimes, thier a great value.

okie

i likd the xmark too until i krept up like everyone elses, its just not made to go down as far as it does (as low as most want), just find a good old style original.

A lot depends on what you want a trigger to do. If you are only wanting to go down to 3.5 lbs then I would stick to the old style Remington trigger with an after market trigger spring. Most of the factory springs are so stiff that by the time you back it down to 3 lbs that another 1/4 turn on the adjustment screw and you no longer have spring contact with the trigger.
If you are wanting to go below 2 lbs then it's a no brainer with the triggers that you listed. JEWELL. I have one or two of every trigger that you have listed and the only one that will repeat every time on a trigger scale at lower pull weights is the Jewell(a least the one's I own).

David