• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington rifles

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
What are the practical differences between the Remington 5R, 700P, 700PSS?
I think I know the PSS isn't in production anymore but they are still available used.

I am selling my SASS to my brother and have decided to replace it with a bolt action rifle. It will better suit what I will use it for than another semi auto.

Jim

Re: Remington rifles

5R is made in the custom shop and comes stock with an H/S stock and has 5R rifling, which some say is a bonus for accuracy. I had two and loved them both. Never had the others so I'll leave that for others to comment.

700P has a S/S blacked barrel, 1/12 twist, The PSS has a Detachable mag. 4rd. Did not work all that great. Both great rifles for the money. Came in a piller bedded H/S stock.

From what I recall, the 5R is a ss model with a 24", 1-11.25 twist 5r rifled barrel. The 700P is a 26", 1-12 twist crmo barrel and the PSS is a 24", 1-12 twist crmo barrel. All three models come in HS Precision stocks.

Wrong... And Wrong... (First 2 responses)
The 5R is NOT made in the Custom shop. But it is somewhat limited.
The 700p is not Pillar Bedded. HS Precision stocks come with an Aluminum
Bedding block.
Also, not all PSS's came with a detachable magazine. I don't recall if it was an option or just available in a certain time period. Didn't work out very well.

P and PSS are the same rifle. PSS is an older designation. Now they are simply named 700P for the 26" barrel. There is also the 'LTR' which has a 20" fluted barrel and slimmer, lighter stock. Both are HS Precision stocks with aluminum bedding blocks. Both have a parkerized finish. Both are regular CM steel. Both are 1/12 twist barrels (.308 models).

The 5R is an annual limited run of 700s. They also have an HS Precision stock with an aluminum bedding block. It is slightly shorter than the P model's and has a flatter fore end. Action and 24” barrel are stainless steel. Twist is 1/11.25 for the .308 models. The 5R is also available with a 20” threaded barrel.

There is also the SPS Tactical and AAC-SD.
The Tactical is a cheaper LTR: 20” 1/12 twist CM barrel, regular finish, not so great stock.
The AAC has a quicker twist: 1/10 for .308s, and is threaded. The rest is the same: So-so stock, CM, regular finish.

The SPS Varmint is a cheap P. Regular finish, CM steel, crap stock, 26” barrel 1/12 twist.

Now go use the search function
smile.gif

I have searched and read, but missed the differences between these models, and I don't trust my memory even though I must have read reviews somewhere.
I will be buying a bolt rifle, probably by Christmas but maybe a little after. The 5R sounds like what I want. I am not looking for a short barrel and prefer a wider forend. I will have to search to see what 5R rifling is but I would also like to be able to shoot heavier bullets like the 175gr SMK or the similar Amax so a faster twist is better.

Now, how does the older Sendero compare?
Yes, I am about to search for that too. Sometimes it's better to get info from people who have personal experience. The manufacturers reviews give me facts, but not if there is a practical difference. For instance I doubt there is a practical difference between a 24" and a 26" barrel. Sure the longer barrel will give a few more fps and theoretically a flatter trajectory but it doesn't make a practical difference. If I was going to try very very long range I would pick a different caliber than .308.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">12 twist will stabilize the 175 smk just fine. </div></div>
Most of the time. 11.25 twist is a bit better for the heavies.

Yes a 12 twist will stabilize the 175 just fine. And I guess I stand corrected about the PSS being a 24" barrel. It's just that the couple I've seen were. Sorry for the misinfo.

The old (very early nineties) .223 and .308 (only two calibers back then) PSS models were 24" and parkerized. The early generations of those had HS Precision stocks with the short aluminum bedding block which stopped at the recoil lug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Now, how does the older Sendero compare?"
"If I was going to try very very long range I would pick a different caliber than .308."</div></div>

The Sendero models were/are long-action receivers. If memory serves, they were first offered in .270, .25-06, 7mm Mag, & .300 Win Mag, with the HS varmint stock (no palm swell & skinny forend). If you find a factory .308 (short-action) in that stock, it'll be a 700VS from the 90's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kl3309</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Now, how does the older Sendero compare?"
"If I was going to try very very long range I would pick a different caliber than .308."</div></div>

The Sendero models were/are long-action receivers. If memory serves, they were first offered in .270, .25-06, 7mm Mag, & .300 Win Mag, with the HS varmint stock (no palm swell & skinny forend). If you find a factory .308 (short-action) in that stock, it'll be a 700VS from the 90's. </div></div>

Ahh, I didn't think they might be a long action receivers.

It sounds like the 5R might be my best choice if I can find one when I am ready to buy. If not the 700P will be good too.
I may even go with a Savage. I just didn't really have an easy comparison between the Remingtons.

Thanks everyone,
Jim

Get an old- from the sixties - 700 and put a good barrel and stock on it . Current Rem.'s are poor in comparison.

They're not that bad, just lottery like chances of getting a good trigger, giant firing pin holes, and mile long throats, they still shoot very well.
To the OP unless you love the HS stock the SPS-V is the same barreled action as the 700P with a different finish in a throwaway stock for a bit less coin.

I just picked up a Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308 20" 1:10. Haven't shot it yet but it has a very good reputation for being an excellent rifle for it's price point. The stock is crap(IMHO), so if you plan on going this route be ready to swap it out first thing. I have a B&C A3 "Hook" being shipped to me. 8541 Tactical has an excellent article on this rifle model specifically. Sold me on it for sure. I did however see a SPS .308 LTR 20" 1:10 NIB on sale in the WTS section for $600 about day or so ago. I would have bought it if i hadn't already picked mine up.
Hope this helped.

Of course I might be tempted to buy an M1A instead and just shoot iron sights to just medium range since getting somewhere I can shoot over 299 yards is a problem.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss334OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308 20" 1:10. Haven't shot it yet but it has a very good reputation for being an excellent rifle for it's price point. The stock is crap(IMHO), so if you plan on going this route be ready to swap it out first thing. I have a B&C A3 "Hook" being shipped to me. 8541 Tactical has an excellent article on this rifle model specifically. Sold me on it for sure. I did however see a SPS .308 LTR 20" 1:10 NIB on sale in the WTS section for $600 about day or so ago. I would have bought it if i hadn't already picked mine up.
Hope this helped. </div></div>

That SPS is not an LTR, it is an SPS "Light Tactical" giving the barrel flutes and a 1:10" twist. The stock is the special purpose synthetic, and not the Hogue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have searched and read, </div></div>
I was just messing, hence the smiley.

I would go for the 5R. I don't think a 26" is really necessary for a 308. Plus, I prefer stainless steel.

Here you can see the 5R stock in detail:
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34688

And here the P model:
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37705

Hope it helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have searched and read, </div></div>
I was just messing, hence the smiley.

I would go for the 5R. I don't think a 26" is really necessary for a 308. Plus, I prefer stainless steel.

Here you can see the 5R stock in detail:
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34688

And here the P model:
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37705

Hope it helps. </div></div>

No prob. I have been treated much worse- by people I am related to.
smirk.gif

I am almost feeling regret about selling the SASS. I traded for it and it came well set up. The problem is that I think it is better suited for a multiple target match, pig hunting, etc. It also is harder to shoot accurately. Add the fact that I don't get out to shoot as often as I would like and it is almost a waste. The 5R will be more accurate- and probably a little easier to shoot. It will be definitely easier to clean.
I am keeping my swivel Harris bipod and my Vortex Viper scope. It is only a PA model, but it is actually pretty good.

Jim

Get a 5r. I had one and they are great shooters. Only reason I sold it was cause I started buying full custom rifles. 5r would probably be the only factory gun I would own.

They hold their value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss334OP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308 20" 1:10. Haven't shot it yet but it has a very good reputation for being an excellent rifle for it's price point. The stock is crap(IMHO), so if you plan on going this route be ready to swap it out first thing. I have a B&C A3 "Hook" being shipped to me. 8541 Tactical has an excellent article on this rifle model specifically. Sold me on it for sure. I did however see a SPS .308 LTR 20" 1:10 NIB on sale in the WTS section for $600 about day or so ago. I would have bought it if i hadn't already picked mine up.
Hope this helped. </div></div>

That SPS is not an LTR, it is an SPS "Light Tactical" giving the barrel flutes and a 1:10" twist. The stock is the special purpose synthetic, and not the Hogue. </div></div>

^ That is correct. LTR is a typo. Meant LT. Thanks for the clarification.