• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington SPS 223 accuracy problems with Hornady 52 grain match bullets.

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    My brother usually uses 52 grain SMK's in his 223 SPS and could shoot 100 yard 5 shot groups well under and inch. Due to the unavailability of the 52 grain SMK's he bought the Hornady equivalent 52 grain match bullets. He shot them for the first time yesterday and 4 of the 5 groups were well over 2". 1 group under 1". I estimate about 3/4" maybe less. I didn't get a chance to measure it. He had 4 shots for me to who but due to the way he needs to mount the scope for himself I could not get ay kind of cheek weld and my face was completely off the stock. The 4 shots I fired went into about1.5" or so.
    I am convinced it is the shooter as he doesn't shoot the rifle very often. When he was he did fine with the 52 grain SMK's

Has anybody had similar problems with the Hornady 52 gain match bullets of had success shooting decent groups with the hornady bullets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA