• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington SPS 308 upgrades

RemXCR2009

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2009
MS
I just bought me a new remington sps with a 26 inch barrel in the 308 cal I would like to know what upgrades would I need to make to make this gun a long range shooter thank you for the help

Re: Remington SPS 308 upgrades

The most important thing is reloading. Finding an accuracy node with the best shooting bullet and velocity your rifle likes. Then applying that data to making the most consistant, high concentricity, even neck tension, ammunition you can produce.

Having said that I will also mention that it is impossible to make one round EXACTLY like another. So removing all the variables from the rifle that will amplify the diffrences in the ammo is the next step.

Pillar/glass bedding will insure that the barreled-action will not shuck or josle in the stock during firing.

Truing an action will insure that the barrel bore and bolt face are in correct allignment every time the blot is closed.

A hand lapped MATCH barrel will insure that no tooling marks in the bore will cause impefections in the bullet jacket and subsequently effect its flight. Also Match barrels tend to have straighter bores and more even rifling which dont hurt either.

A larger barrel diameter will help maintain muzzle position when the rifle is fired. This is known as barrel harmonics. The rule of thumb is that a short fat barrel is more stiff and will help reduce the difference in muzzle whip from round to round; because no two are the same, remember.

A good trigger will lighten up the pull weight making it harder to induce rifle movement from your finger.

And finally there is you. Practicing doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Spending the time scientifically testing load data, holding the rifle the same EVERY time and squezing the trigger consistantly with every pull is up to you.

believe it or not I left alot of stuff out. but these are the basics that will help you to shoot where you want at great distances.

First off, Whats your budget. We can get a much better idea of the "bang 4 buck" value based on that. The options are limitless, it just depends on you and your $$$.

If it was me starting over, a new stock. Either a take off PSS or 5R or a new Bell and Carlson stock, both around $200, or if you have money one of the better ones.

My STOCK SPS-Varmint in 308 has done VERY well given that total cost involved is less than $2k. The only modifications (functionally) that I've done to it is a trigger job and had the action bedded.

Bolt work: Can be done when you swap the barrel.
Barrel: Just starting out...having the best barrel isn't going to show results

Where to spend money IMHO:
- Get good base, rings and glass
- Ammo, ammo & more ammo
- Good instruction

I'm still new at this LR stuff too, and will say that investing my money in reloading components and asking a lot of questions from the guys that do it a lot, has really sped up my progression. Picking up some books on technique doesn't hurt either (Nancy Tompkins', Bryan Litz & Jim Owens' to name a few).

For load development, I went with the OCW theory and it's yielded very consistent and moreso predictable impacts, albeit at kind of a mild velocity.

Rich

I have less than $1k in mine. I got a pss takeoff for 225 and bedded it myself, put a badger 20 moa base on it and a timney trigger and it shoots lights out for a stock remmy barreled action.
this is a good thread that has covered some of this stuff before, sorry couldn't link it.
Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308?

I think your choices depend on how much you like the stock and the trigger. Replace whichever bothers you the most. Then when you've got the cash, replace the other.

with my sps Varmint, I first floated the barrel, but that made the stock even more flimsy, so I glass filled the fore end. eventually I put a bell and carlson on it and glass bed, skim bed to the aluminum block. Next I put in a timney trigger. The two biggest improvements for me came with the trigger and changing to the Amax from the palma 2156 bullet.

Like others have said, reloading is your friend.