• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington SPS metal finish

Buster95

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Montreal Canada
I'm interested in a SPS Tactical or SPS Varmint in .308 but I read on many forums that the finish on the metal is really cheap and the gun rust very easily, is that true???

Re: Remington SPS metal finish

The finish does rust easily, but i use birchwood casey sheath on it an its been rust free so far.

Your sweat has alot to do with it too. A buddy of mines can rust a gun just by smiling at it haha

Mine was very prone to rust regardless of how much I cleaned it. Got a Duracoat job and no more rust, Looking to get it Cerakoted after it gets rebarreled this summer, then no more troubles ever.

Really hasn't been a problem for me and I live in the rain forest state...

Actually it's the Sunshine state but it rains a lot here, has been raining all friggin day, and is humid as hell most of the time!

Seriously, I haven't had a problem with mine. Just bought a 2nd yesterday too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine was very prone to rust regardless of how much I cleaned it. Got a Duracoat job and no more rust</div></div> What about DuraCoat Flat Clear?

Mine rusted the first week of ownership. It also seemed to hold a lot of heat. I had it Duracoated Coyote Brown to see if it would help prevent drawing heat in the sun. It didn't help. The SPS coating seems to me like it is more like a paint than parkerizing or blueing. Honestly, I've found the same problem on most of the lower priced blued rifles I've bought in the last 6-8 years. I think coatings are getting cheaper. I have a Marlin 917V that rusted bad, an SPS-V that rusted bad and a T/C Omega that rusted bad. I have a 39yr old model 760 Remington that looks like the day it was bought and a 12 yr. old model 7 that looks like new and I hunt it every year as well as a mint Knight Wolverine that I bought new 16yrs ago. I care for them all the same, so I doubt it's the way I'm handling and caring for them. I think manufacturing practices and materials have gone down hill
smirk.gif

Buy the stainless model......

I have 2 and they don't rust at all. My 22-250 is wrapped in camo form all winter, and it gets wet from snow and "sweating" from going from cold air to a warm pickup, no issues at all.

Or just paint it.

It's Matte Blue.

Blue sucks for corrosion resistance. It's only slightly worse than parkerizing.

If you want rust resistance go stainless or have it coated. Me? I just use krylon.

They're bead blasted and then blued. Bluing itself is actually a controlled form of rusting and the bead blasting puts tiny scratches and pits in the metal that retain moisture. Put them both together and it basically means the gun has no rust protection other then what you put on it to keep it from rusting.

And they're on sale at Dick's sporting goods! And depending on the model, the SPS gets either the $75.00 Remington rebate or the $50.00 Dick's/Remington rebate.*

*The SPS camo stock Varmint model, a ADL package gun with the 1st generation X-Mark Pro trigger, 26" varmint profile barrel, relatively inexpensive Weaver type mounts and rings and a Chinese manufactured Remington scope, made exclusively for Dick's. Net price is $499.00 plus tax.

When in doubt go stainless, but even it will rust. An aftermarket coating is the only real solution for carefree use. For me I have to apply something other than oil, as everything I touch rusts included stainless, must have alien blood in me.

My barrel started to rust in the first few months, I just spray painted it black. No more rust. The finish does suck but my sps varmint shot 3/4moa out of the box and it wasnt free floated so I cant complain.