• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington SPS Tactical .223 "Accuracy Advice"

71cars

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
Valencia, CA
Anyone have a Remington SPS Tactical .223 bolt gun with 20" barrel? I recently purchased one for my son. It had around 300-500 loads through it I am told. It has an HS stock off a 5R and a Timney trigger set at about 2 lbs. I am using a Mark-AR 6-18x40 with decent rings set on a Nightforce rail. The best we have been able to manage at 100 yards in a 5 shot group is maybe 1.5"-1.75". I am thinking the gun is jacked. I have used factory loads as well as hand loads. 55g-69g. I shoot quite a bit and 1/4" is manageable with my Suarez tactical .308 so I am thinking it is not me. I have also had a friend who shoots a lot fire it with the same result. Any advice, anybody?

Re: Remington SPS Tactical .223 "Accuracy Advice"

It says a lot when we are no longer satisfied with 1.5 to 1.75" groups at 100 yards. when I was young and zeroing deer rifles with my dad's buddies, that would have been a target to tear out and save. We've come a long way in a short time; I'm not that old. At 500 rounds, I would give the bore a good scrubbing with a good copper solvent. If the previous owner didn't do this, that's enough shooting to foul it up pretty good. You are right to expect better from these models but that's perfectly adequate hunting accuracy.

Joe

Re: Remington SPS Tactical .223 "Accuracy Advice"

I had an issue with my tac sps. I was expecting 3/4" accuracy or better from handloads was 1.5" -2"????? After looking over rifle checking scope mount tightness, all good scratched my head. The problem was from factory the action was riding on follow box. I had to put some make shift shims in f/p so this stopped the rifle from moving and settling different in stock. After that it shot lights out! Hope this helps. Good luck