• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington sps tactical out of the box performance?

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
How does this rifle shoot out of the box? I am sellin off my savage to get a 700 and I was looking at the sps tactical or the sps varmint in 308. I really dont want to mod this thing out much, maybe a trigger but thats it. I just want it to shoot around 1 moa.

Can these rifles pull off 1moa out of the box?

Thanks

Re: Remington sps tactical out of the box performance?

Click the link.
Should cover all the info your looking for.
Link.

I just got one and iv been sub MOA out to 250 yards so far.
Its a decent rifle. But id suggest going with a 700P if you
have the extra $$ to spend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got one and iv been sub MOA out to 250 yards so far.
have the extra $$ to spend. </div></div>

I dont
smile.gif

I shoot anywhere from 100-500 yards so this rifle will do just fine.

My experiences with Remington is that it doesn't matter what the review says, each gun that came out of their factory is different. Some got lucky, and some got the mediocre quality. And I do believe this applies to most of the factory rifles.

However, with today's technology and machinery, a gun that shoots 3.5" at 70yards just surprised me........heck, my 60+ year old grandma gun Yugo M48 shoots better than that.
Have you found out why your stevens doesn't shoot well? I read your post before leaving the office yesterday, and when I got home, you already list everything for sale. Have you contacted the manufacture yet?

Hope you find your solution, and better luck on your next purchase.

My SPS Varmint in 308 has been a real shooter with handloads. The trigger on it was not the best, so I dropped a Jewel in it, but the most problematic thing about the setup as it comes from the factory is the stock. I recently changed to a Bell & Carlson and it is now completely free-floated. You could easily see where the stock at been pushing against the barrel or the pressure points. The biggest difference in the 2 you mentioned is going to be the barrel length. Go with the one you prefer.

Hmm ok. Well the local shop has the sps varmint in stock but the sps tactical is backordered. I may just wait for the tactical.

FIL has an SPS Varmint in .223 Remington. It shoots .5MOA with 53g SMK and N133. I havent shot one in .308 however.

I've seen them in 224 and 308, I'd sure like to get one in 223 IF I can get one with a 1 in 7 twist. The ones I've seen were 1 in 9.

As of now i believe all the 223 Tacticals are a 1:9 twist, sucks ass. But the SPS Tac in 308 out of the box is a solid 3/4 MOA performer with factory stuff, and reloads can crank it down to about roughly 1/2 MOA. First thing i would do is ditch the shitty hogue stock thats on there.

I have had both 223 and 308 sps tacticals. Out of the box they were not sub-moa. First thing is change the stock. I had several stocks to mix and match to my different 700 Short Action platforms. But any stock whether its the Choate tactical, H-S Precision M-24 line of stocks, McMillan tactical stocks, AICS, or the Bell and Carlson with the aluminun chassis they all will help with the consistency and thus accuracy of the rifle.

Make sure you have good solid glass, good solid rings and mounts, a good solid stock, and hand load for your SPS varmint or tactical will definitely shoot sub moa and if you do the right combination then it will be sub 1/2moa.

Gene

SPS Tactical and the 700P are both targeting 1MOA accuracy or better. Most of the folks that I have talked to have achieved that easily.

The difference between the two are the finish, the stock, and with the 700P, Remington actually test fires a group to guarantee the accuracy is within the requirement before it leaves the factory.

If I might make a suggestion here? Spend the money on the SPS tactical now. Realize that you have a hot dog budget, so buy a hot dog. Odds are it will meet your needs of the moment. Sure, you could get a lemon but there is both warranty support and then next step to deal with that...

When you scrape together a few more dollars, send it to a quality 'smith and have them blueprint the action. Louisiana Precision comes to mind here if you don't have a good local smith you feel you can trust.

Well, I don't know how soon you were looking to buy, so this might not help you out much, but here goes anyways:

I am a rookie, and have not shot a rifle at all in 3-4+ years, and have not shot a rifle on a REGULAR basis for almost 25+ years now.
I just picked up my 700 SPS Varmint in .308 and have been breakin it in (going back again today to try and finish up my "break in" rounds done. Now, i have been doing it with NO sights at all, as I jsut ordered my scope on Wed of this week.

Now, my point is, in teh next week to 2 weeks, I should have some range feedback for you, and if anything, should be "unfair" to teh rifle itself, since I am so rusty behind the trigger. In other words, if I can shoot MOA, it's going to be the rifle and NOT me
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got one and iv been sub MOA out to 250 yards so far.
have the extra $$ to spend. </div></div>

I dont
smile.gif

I shoot anywhere from 100-500 yards so this rifle will do just fine. </div></div>

I meant that's as far as iv taken it out so far..
Not that it doesn't make it to sub MOA past that.
Just haven't shot that far it it yet. So i wouldn't know
smile.gif

Not saying that it cant do it.

Just wanted to clear that up

Either the SPS Tactical or SPS Varmint will be a good rifle. I went with the SPS Tactical because I preferred the 20" barrel.

I went to Ray's fun shoot last week in VA with a few friends. I met a guy who was shooting a SPS Tactical with a Nikon Buckmaster 4x14 mildot scope. The rifle was stock except for an added HS Precision stock. The darn thing shot great. He engaged steel out to 810 yards using FGMM 168gr ammo and it made a lot of hits. The rifle was consistent and I thought it was a great value for the level of performance it provided.

I may add a stock to it down the road but I spent too much money modding out my last rifle and that was a failure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may add a stock to it down the road but I spent too much money modding out my last rifle and that was a failure. </div></div>

K.I.S.S. method, works best. I build Hot Rods/Race Cars for people for a living, and when people try and get TOO elaborate and throw every trick in the book at something, can end up chasing your tail/sorting out problems.
You start out simple, base line it, make 1 (ONE) change at a time, see how it works/affects your setup. If changes for better, great, move on. If screws something up, you know WHAT screwed it up since you only changed 1 (ONE) part.

Sometimes impossible to do that when building from ground up, and is why the top builders (cars and guns) bring the big bucks ($$$$)

So, what i am saying is, what I have in my setup ($$$$) is bottom dollar bargain, and from what I am told SHOULD shoot MOA rather easily, if the shooter (me) does his part.

Once I get a feel for the gun, then I plan on making some simple changes like a detachable mag and MAYBE a stock, later on down teh road...

Good luck and also, for the dollar, don't count out the Tikka T3, heard ALOT of good things about it, and out of the box, SUPPOSED to be a better shooter than the 700. Food for thought.

Thanks for the help guys. All the shops Ive called dont have the tactical in stock. No one in winston has one. Im at myrtle beach now, just called 3 shops down here, same deal. They are backordered everywhere. I cant wait to get my hands on a rifle that will actually shoot.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the help guys. All the shops Ive called dont have the tactical in stock. No one in winston has one. Im at myrtle beach now, just called 3 shops down here, same deal. They are backordered everywhere. I cant wait to get my hands on a rifle that will actually shoot.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Well, I wanted you to know, I have results ALOT sooner than I thought. My scope came in yesterday, and went to range today (again, 700 SPS Varmint .308 26" HB Vortex 6.5-20x44)

These groups are with a box stock rifle, NOTHING has been touched, and I am actually still breaking in teh rifle. I now have 35 (20 today) rounds down teh pipe.

I got sighted in today with some help from some guys at teh range at 50 yards, and then I hopped over to teh 100 yard, and here is what I came up with:

4 shot group (sorry about the ruler, LOL!!)
DSCN1949.jpg

3 shot group:
DSCN1948.jpg

Now, keep in mind, that I have not been on a range in 20-25 years, and have not fired a rifle in 3-4+ years, AND the ammo I used today was teh absolute "cheapest" you can get...$13 a box of 20, Winchester 150 grain from Wal Mart.

So, you figure with some more range time behind teh scope/rifle, and start loading up my Hornady I picked up from Powdervalley, and I think I should see some REAL nice groups. All in all, VERY happy with this rifle...ALOT better results than I thought for first time out.

Immediately upon arriving home, I replaced the factory Hogue on my SPS-T with a B&C. I also bedded the B&C myself.

Instead of factory loads, I decided to work on a hand-load for this rifle using Winchester brass, CCI BR2 primers, Varget, and 175g SMKs. After conducting an initial round-robin, I settled on 44.5 grains.

Yesterday I did some final tweaking to bullet seating depth. I started at maximum mag length, and seated some bullets; -.005", -.010", and -.015" deeper. As you can see below, I'm quite happy with the results!

Would my rifle have shot this good with the Hogue? Maybe, but I really, really hate the feel of that gloried piece of crapper-ware.

<span style="font-weight: bold">(5-shot, 100 meter groups)</span>
Picture035.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Nice shooting guys. Im looking forward to picking one of these up.

I have an SPS tactical in .223, it shoots pretty darn well, but the trigger leaves much to be desired, I lightened the pull, but it is very inconsistent. I'll need to replace it, but i have other irons in the fire.

My Dad has a Savage 10PC in .308 that I glassed with a falcon menace, it is an excellent shooter.
My Dad also has a 10FP in .223 that is an incredible shooter as is my model 12FV in .243.

You bought a Yugo with the stevens, were you expecting BMW performance?

You may also want to consider the Howa 20" varminter, it is in the same class as the Rem SPS tac, even has a Hogue stock.
Check Buds Gunshop out of Paris Ky for one of the rifles you are looking for, right now the HB .308 bolt guns seem to be a little hard to come by.
Out of stock on the sps tactical, but the varmint is in stock:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41046

cpt.
I to owned a SPS-Varmint in .308. With the factory stock, it left ALOT to be desired. I changed the stock and bedded it, and this rifle turned out to be a tack driver! I highly recommend this rifle IF and only IF the factory stock gets changed out, they are garbage and I have a couple of them laying around if anyone is interested in one.

I shot mine a while before getting a Manners stock.

Even with the factory stock I got one or two dime-sized 5-shot group at 100 meters. The rest were quarter-sized groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot mine a while before getting a Manners stock.

Even with the factory stock I got one or two dime-sized 5-shot group at 100 meters. The rest were quarter-sized groups.

</div></div>

This kind of performance is acceptable. If it shot like that out of the box I wouldnt change anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot mine a while before getting a Manners stock.

</div></div>

This kind of performance is acceptable. If it shot like that out of the box I wouldnt change anything. </div></div>

What i can you is this as well. yesterday whenI was sighting in the scope, there was a fellow Hide member there (again, pure coincidence) and he had a 700 20", and he changed out trigger, did some bedding, and some more and he let me put a few down range with his rifle.
Comparisons to my box stock 700 WERE noticeable. His rifle just felt more "comfortable" or "natural" in my hands and while shooting. Even though I got good results yesterday out of mine, I KNOW there is more left in it, ALOT more.

What I plan on doing, keeping it simple though, is #1) adding a cheek comb. I was never able to get a good cheek weld on my setup. Maybe LONG term, way down teh road, will change out stock, but right now, I don't see that happening.
#2)Adjust trigger to lighter pull. Hide member put a round down range with my rifle, and first thing he noticed/mentioned was teh heavy pull on my trigger. When I shot his, his trigger was smooooooooooooth and light. I liked it ALOT.
#3)I want a detachable mag.

Now, those are not in order, but not sure which order I will go, but probaly adjust trigger, then cheek comb, then mag..but again, we will see.

I think as the rifle sits, the results speak for themselves. A novice/rookie shooter pulling out .61 MOA (another hide member put target through some software program he has, and teh 3 shot group came out to .61 MOA) on an untouched 700 speaks more to the rifle than teh shooter (in this case) with those results.

Re: Remington sps tactical out of the box performa

i dont have the sps but I bought a 700p about 2-3 years ago. I didn't know much about rifles at the time (still dont know a whole lot but Im learning), and I thought I was buying a rifle that would just be a tack driving fool. well I was quickly shown different. I was shooting around 1moa with it out the box which obviously didnt match up to my high expectations. Well a few weeks ago I skim bedded it myself and it made a huge difference. After that it was stacking the last couple rounds I had of 168 fgmm. Now I have some 175gr loads coming from dallas custom reloads, hopefully I will be able to consistently hold these groups. Stand by for range report on it. Im chomping at the bit to get out there, but I have no bullets.

but all in all, after bedding it I am really satisfied with what I saw the other day. hopefully that wasnt just a fluke

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This kind of performance is acceptable. If it shot like that out of the box I wouldnt change anything. </div></div>
Then you should be happy with an SPS-T.

I have a completely stock SPS-T in .308 with nothing done to it besides a scope and an Eagle stock pack. Shooting off sandbags I was easily shooting quarter sized 5-round groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont have the sps but I bought a 700p about 2-3 years ago. I didn't know much about rifles at the time (still dont know a whole lot but Im learning), and I thought I was buying a rifle that would just be a tack driving fool. well I was quickly shown different. I was shooting around 1moa with it out the box which obviously didnt match up to my high expectations. Well a few weeks ago I skim bedded it myself and it made a huge difference. After that it was stacking the last couple rounds I had of 168 fgmm. Now I have some 175gr loads coming from dallas custom reloads, hopefully I will be able to consistently hold these groups. Stand by for range report on it. Im chomping at the bit to get out there, but I have no bullets.

but all in all, after bedding it I am really satisfied with what I saw the other day. hopefully that wasnt just a fluke </div></div>

I agreee with teh bedding as well...the Hide member I met up with yesterday, he bed his as well, and he said that it made the single biggest improvement in his rifle. He also said his rifle was not a shooter out of the box like mine either, so maybe I just got "one of the one's"...either way, I am THRILLED with this rifle. I was reading up on some rifles last night in some mags I bought, and see retail pricing of $1500 and $1800 and grouping 1" with a professional shooter behind the stock, and makes you wonder WHY would you pay that much for a rifle that "only" shoots MOA?