• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington style action for pistol build

Pat M

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2005
Cashmere Washington
In WA state we can't have SBR's so what is a non $$$$ way to go, XP-100's are expensive (and i have barrels & rails).

Who offers an action that can be a pistol - like getting an AR lower bought as pistol.

? any schooling would help. ? Savage style action, has to be affordable.

Re: Remington style action for pistol build

Legally speaking a virgin action can be built into a pistol. I'm not sure what it would take or what sort of customized parts would be needed to build one.

teerex; that is the idea i'm looking at, but most of the virgin actions are very expensive, the Savage Stryker is the only one made in the last decade that i know of.

Yeah I see how that is an issue. Unfortunately you can't convert a rifle into a pistol.

If it leaves the original manufacturer as a bare action and not built as a rifle then you can make a pistol out of it. In addition to the Stillers, BATS, Defiance, and other custom actions you can also buy just a bare t-screw target action from Savage. On the Remington actions offered by Brownells ocassionally I would want to get some documention that they left the Remington factory as bare actions only and were not broken down from completed but discontinued rifles.

I thought when a bare action came in from the manufacture new it was declared as a pistol or rifle by the paperwork that is filled out by the FFL holder.

Being declared as a "Pistol" at FFL is ok (forgot about the bare Remington actions, will have to check out those & the Savage)

Stupid WA state dosn't allow SBR's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought when a bare action came in from the manufacture new it was declared as a pistol or rifle by the paperwork that is filled out by the FFL holder. </div></div>

This is not correct. A virgin action needs transferred as other on the 4473. It can then be legally made into a pistol.

Undesignated actions from various manufactures can be used but they have to be declared their purpose (rifle of pistol) when it's transferred to the new owner. We shoot old single shot XP-100 actions at our 1000 yard matches but if I was to just be starting out I'd locate a Savage Striker action and go from there. Easy to work on, easy to change barrels/calibers and even with the factory stock they shoot pretty darn good. Upgrade the barrel and stock and they become real contenders against a lot of the rifles at long range matches.

I'm thinking of making one of XP-100's a switch barrel using the barrel nut from the Rem-Age setup and going with another barrel manufacture. These lil short things will really shoot and still amaze a lot of the LR rifle guys that haven't seen them at the matches we attend. Fun lil guns, think they are as accurate as the rifles but just a lot harder to shoot with not being quite as steady with a few less contact points for holding as steady while shooting.

Good luck, below my name is a couple vidoes of us shooting our XPs at the local matches and there are more at the Youtube site under my name Topstrap44. Here is another site that would also have lots of information about LR pistols. http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Topstrap

You didn't mention what this gun was going to be used for. Since you posted here on the Hide I was assuming that it was for LR shooting but to some using a pistol and LR means maybe 200 yards, not 1000 yards.

The bolt actions are by far the most accurate in my opinion although some say the MOA or the Freedom Arms single shot will do as well I'm not convinced till I see them shoot at one of our matches. If you're wanting a hunting style gun and don't expect to shoot past 500 yards the TC Encore with one of the rifle rounds will work fine. I like the old Contenders but they are limited to a bit closer but still shoot mighty fine even with some of the larger hunting calibers like the 375JDJ.

Elaborate a bit more on the end use for your gun and it'll be easier to steer you with suggestions. Been doing the LR pistol stuff sine the late 70's so we've got to experiment quite a bit to find what works.

Topstrap

A frame or receiver is transferred as other. The BATFE issued a letter on this in 2009. A frame or receiver fits into the same category as a shotgun sold with a pistol grip. You have to be 21 to have a receiver transferred to you. There is no declaring a receiver as a rifle or pistol. It is the same for an AR15 a 1911 or a bolt action. It is not a rifle or pistol until it is made into one.

Over 21, pistol for fun 300-800 shooting steel & ? deer hunting

(308 or 260 as i reload for these already)

was asking about Remington actions as i have extra barrel i can cut down, brake, trigger, rails, etc

One of the Hide guys posted pictures of his bull barrel pistol ? maybe a Mcree looking stock, can't find it now. Thought it looked great.