• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington to produce US Army M4/M4A1s

Redmanss

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
Northeast Wyoming
Interesting announcement here:

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/04/21/us-army-awards-m4m4a1-contract-to-remington/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">US Army Awards M4/M4A1 Contract to Remington

Way back in June of last year the US Army issued a pre-solicitation for the purchase of an additional 70,000-100,000 M4A1 carbines. The idea was that it was going to be a free-for-all and anybody, including incumbent Colt Defense could bid. The actual solicitation hit the street in August. Now, there’s an award, but it was issued at 6:20 PM and the announcement was under the innocuous title of, “GUNS, THROUGH 30MM.” Too late for the daily DoD Contract award announcements. Odd? Absolutely, considering the size and commodity involved.

Here’s the content of the award notice -

Notice Type:
Award Notice
Contract Award Date:
April 20, 2012
Contract Award Number:
W56HZV12D00560001
Contract Award Dollar Amount:
$16,163,252.07
Contract Line Item Number:
0004AB
Contractor Awardee:
REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, LLC,14 HOEFLER AVE,ILION,NY,13357-1816
Synopsis:
Added: Apr 20, 2012 6:20 pm
No Description Provided
Contracting Office Address:
U.S. ARMY CONTRACTING COMMAND, WARREN, MICHIGAN 48397-5000

There’s another award (W56HZV12D0056) to Remington Arms Company for a “Max Potential Contract Value $180,000,000.00&#8243; for the generic “GUNS, THROUGH 30MM” issued about an hour before the award mentioned above. Remember, that $180 Million is a contract ceiling and allows the Government to purchase their full requirement over multiple years without competing multiple contracts.

Notice the contract numbers. The base contract is W56HZV12D0056. The additional 0001 would denote an initial order meaning there will be more to come.

These carbines will be produced in accordance with the Colt Technical Data Package. This isn’t the first time something like this has happened. In the mid-80s FN began producing the M16A2. However, access to the Colt TDP will certainly give Remington a leg up. Hopefully, these Remington guns will be better than the early FN M16s which were of low quality.</div></div>

Let's see how well they do with this one.

Re: Remington to produce US Army M4/M4A1s

They wont be nothing more than a select fire Bushmaster. I feel sorry for any Soldier that has to carry one downrange.

First thing I wonder is will it have the A2 a-frame like Bushmaster or F marked a-frame like Colt. Bushmaster's decision to make their "M4" with the A2 a-frame has led to front sight/rear sight incompatibility issues when using mil spec BDC's, or when using non-mil spec Bushmaster shaved BDC's with carbines fitted with F marked a-frames. The issues are usually worth about 10 MOA and are not fixable without part replacement. Bushmaster's decision on this matter effectively robbed us of the standardization which has made the M4 so appealing. It seems now that the detachable carry handle, or flat top receiver is so ubiquitous there's no reason for any maker of "M4's" to not fit the carbine with the proper F marked a-frame and mil spec BDC such as the Matech.

If you go with the low number, (70,000 guns), and divide the contract amount into it, ($16,163,252.07), it comes to just $230.90 per gun??? What am I missing here?

If you use the $180,000,000.00 figure into 70,000 it comes to $2,571.43 per unit. Both seem way off??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go with the low number, (70,000 guns), and divide the contract amount into it, ($16,163,252.07), it comes to just $230.90 per gun??? What am I missing here?

If you use the $180,000,000.00 figure into 70,000 it comes to $2,571.43 per unit. Both seem way off??
</div></div>

I think the way it's written we can't figure out how much each one costs us.
The 180 mil is the max dollar amount they can spend under this contract.
The initial order is just, the first order, it's not 70,000 units.
They anticipate that they'll order anywhere from 70,000 to 100,000 total, all orders under this contract.
We have no way of telling how many rifles they got for $16,163,252.07 that I can see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HAVOC615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They wont be nothing more than a select fire Bushmaster. I feel sorry for any Soldier that has to carry one downrange. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
These carbines will be produced in accordance with the Colt Technical Data Package.</div></div>

If they are produced according to TDP, they will be of similar quality to the Colt M4s.

They will be built to the Colt TDP and Remington will have to pay royalties to Colt. Unit price was reportedly $523.