• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington to Winchester case volume differences?

gunman_7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2006
Sorry guys I know this stuff gets beat to death but amidst my attempts for the answer for my question I have come up empty handed.

I'm reloading for a new long range deer rifle, decided to go with a standard 30-06 caliber. I wanted to stay away from any wildcatting all together in case I found my self searching for ammo in a small town out west on a hunting trip.

Anyways, I've worked up a load for Remington brass that shoots very well using 43.5grns of H4350 pushing a 168grn Barnes TTSX. I'm just wondering if Winchester brass tends to have a smaller or larger volume compared to Remington. I know as always start low and work up, but just wanted a good idea which direction I would be going to find that sweat spot.

thanks

Chris

Re: Remington to Winchester case volume differences?

Simple way to tell is to weigh both cases "Dry" with spent primers in them.

Then fill them with water and weigh again. Make sure that the "dome" that water forms at the top of the case is as equal as possible on each.

The difference in weight is the capacity in water. Convert the differences to a percentage and that can give you an idea.

You'll still need to work up your load but the percentage difference can be applied to your starting point to some advantage.

23.5 Grains seems very low for a 30-06.Did you mean 43.5 as a starting load.

Regards,Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M14 Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">23.5 Grains seems very low for a 30-06.Did you mean 43.5 as a starting load.

Regards,Mike </div></div>HA! had the .223 on the brain, yes you are correct 43.5, thanks for catching that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadshot2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simple way to tell is to weigh both cases "Dry" with spent primers in them.

Then fill them with water and weigh again. Make sure that the "dome" that water forms at the top of the case is as equal as possible on each.

The difference in weight is the capacity in water. Convert the differences to a percentage and that can give you an idea.

You'll still need to work up your load but the percentage difference can be applied to your starting point to some advantage. </div></div>

I've been toying with the idea of using 'Water Wetter' product from motor cycle/car/shifter kart racing to break the surface tension and stop the dome thing.

Of course, that said, while I will weigh bullets, I don't (yet) weigh or check volume on cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadshot2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simple way to tell is to weigh both cases "Dry" with spent primers in them.

You'll still need to work up your load but the percentage difference can be applied to your starting point to some advantage. </div></div>
Do this. Once you determine the percentage difference of case capacity use that number and divide it by your known powder charge and it will give you your new charge weight.

Only thing I can tell you for sure is cases aren't made as precisely as watch parts. Internal volume for any brand will vary over time and by manufactoring lot and they will vary individually within a lot.