• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington trigger (x mark pro) giving very inconsistent pull weights. is it broken?

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
I have about 300 rnds on the rifle, and I have not been tough on it but I have adjusted it down to 3lbs since factory it was 7lbs and then it was nice, and gave consistent pull weights, but a few days later it felt heavier so I measured it and it was heavier. It measured from 2,5lbs to 4lbs and never gives consistent reading. So is it broken?

There is a spring under the weight adjustment screw. If you loosen it too much there will be no tension on it and you will get inconsistent pull weights. I also learned this the hard way. I pulled the screw out completely, then misplaced it. I just replaced the whole trigger with a Timney.

You can get a spring kit here >>>> No. 9. M-700 X-Mark Pro Adjustable Install a Light Trigger Spring

This way you do not need to loosen the bottom screw as much. Ernie even mentions the problem you are having in his instructions.

If you are not comfortable with messing with the triggers, then you will be stuck with tightening the bottom screw until it is consistent. May be 3.5 lbs or 4 or ?

Last edited:
Your trigger is adjusted too low and will start soft firing on bolt closing before your know it. Pull the action and watch the sear thru the inspection hole in the trigger side plates and you will be able to see the problem develop. It usually starts at around 3lbs for the externally adjustable x-mark though some like the tactical long ranges come with a version of the 40x trigger.

The trigger can be set below 2lbs by a competent smith with time on his hands but for the labor money you can get a Jewell or others and adjust it yourself. As near as I can tell, you need to stone the sides and side plates as the sear faces are usually ok. The problem(s) is in the reset as any slight bind prevents the consistent and full sear engagement. I think a longer, soft spring will help as well.

I have mine set at a clean 3.5 Lb. pull like a glass rod.

It takes more than just the single spring adjustment, I removed the sealant from the set screws and tweaked the adjustments to get my clean 3.5 lb.

A buddy of mine just got a SPS and the first thing he did was replace the trigger and stock. I think he used a Timmney from Midway.......problem solved.

So I bought the remington tactical long range because, or at least one reason, it had the so called 40x externally adjustable trigger. It turns out the trigger had a problem below 3.5lbs. So I pitched it and bought a jewell, but there is no reason it can't be set below 2bs as long as the spring is long and light, long being the fix I believe. If you lighten up the stock spring to less than 3lbs, you have to stretch it so it remains in contact otherwise it floats with a gap that causes the sear to be inconsistent. I am starting to think Remington shouldn't sell externally adjustable triggers at all.

Let me add, as I am now over 100 posts so nobody can accuse me of posting for the count, that if you stick with the stock trigger that which brakes like glass at high weight, you need to stone the sides of all the levers and plates to achieve a clean, smooth finish so there are no hangs. I have found the sear faces to be fine and would avoid polishing them until the last if needed. Also maintain spring contact at all times as the mechanism will only work as a system while under light tension. Lastly, stoning the sides will require constant light oil to prevent rust.