• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington XCR Tactical or the 5r Tactical?

agsf2010

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Wyoming
I am looking at both rifles and didn't know if anyone has had any experience with both of them. Also, any other guns in that price range around in .300 win mag.

REMINGTON 700 TACTICAL 5-R .300 Win Mag

or

Remington 700 Tactical XCR .300 Win Mag

I've owned both in 308. Short recap:

I liked the XCR Tactical better. I thought the butt hook stock was more comfortable than the 5R's HS stock. My XCR was more accurate (slightly) than the 5R, but not by much. Not enough to say it was inherent, could get different results from 2 other rifles off the assembly line. The XCR has the 40X trigger which to me was much better than the Xmark Pro of the 5R.

The 5R's only advantage to me was that it held accuracy longer between cleanings and was easier to clean when it did foul up and drop off.

I bought the XCR Tactical Long range in .300 WM and love it. The only draw-back was the 40x trigger as I thought it would go to 1.5lbs or less but with the screw backed out until loose, it stopped at 3lbs. It breaks nearly perfectly at that weight. It is shooting sub moa groups with 150gr Remington core loft hunting ammo but I get flyers all the time which I am pretty sure is the ammo. The B&C stock is firm and doesn't flex as reported with the bipod mounted. The butt pad is nearly perfect, not overly soft nor hard. The recoil is the violent shove it should be instead of a punch. The XCR coating is harder than woodpecker teeth and is amazing consistent across the barrel and action.

I bedded it by turning a bar to +/- .001" compared to the action, subtracted the thickness of sandpaper and improved the fit by sliding it back and forth slightly. This improved the bedding dramatically without all the mess of epoxy. I checked the fit with dykem as I was doing it after I noticed the bedding contact was really poor from the factory.

Jerry

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that I would go with the XCR now it is trying to find the right one.

I own the XCR Tactical and My brother owns the 5-R. My brother simply sold his trigger and HS stock and then went and purchased a Timney trigger and Manners stock. The 5R barrel is better in my opinion that the XCR barrel. The XCR barrel is more heat sensitive than the 5-R. The 5-R is stout. I have already sold my Bell & Carlson stock that my XCR came with in favor to a Manners T5A stock. If you plan on buying a rifle that you absolutely wont be changing at all, go with the Tactical XCR. If you want a rifle that you can change things up with and already have a really nice barrel, go with the 5-R deal. My Tactical XCR has already been rebarrelled, restocked, and re bottom metalled. LOL! So basically its nothing like it was origionally. I personally would go with the rifle that has the best barrel and that is the 5-R. Now the XCR tactical long range does come with a better trigger than the 5-R. Advantage for the XCR Tactical is the trigger and MAYBE the stock if you plan on keeping the stock. Both rifles have the same bolt and action, but the barrel is better on the 5-R. Barrels arent easy to swap. I did not like the stock on the 5-R AT ALL however. its a must to buy a stock for. The XCRs Bell & Carlson is liveable. My Bell & Carlson had to be replaced when I stepped up to a HEAVY VARMINT barrel. The barrel channel in the Tactical XCR Bell & Carlson stock was not big enough to accept the big heavy barrel. It didnt have enough material to remain strong to re channel it. So out the door it went. Just something to think about.