• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington700 build...which barrel??

tbrenny09

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
minnesota
alright i dont wanna have a huge epic battle over which barrel is best,but im lookin for a .308 caliber remington 700 barrel custom done. I'm lost in this category...so any info,opinions,or experince would be geat to hear..i'd like to shoot around 800-1k range so a twist would be nice to hear to
thanks,
Trenton

Re: Remington700 build...which barrel??

Any of the "common" manufacturers will make you quite happy. Bartlein, Rock, Schneider, Obermeyer, Lilja, Shilen, Brux, etc.

Wait times vary. My smith is going with a Brux on my build. After seeing some of the stuff he's put out with them, I'm not worried.

Pick whichever your smith recommends (or whoever has a wait time that works for you) and enjoy.

Twist? 1-10 or 1-11 tends to be what most people go with. I'm likely going to be shooting 155-175's, and told him to go with 1-11 twist.

If you are new to the sport, you can get a new Remington take off in the GunDigest (gunlist) for dirt. Burn it up and get your skills tuned up.
If you are an advanced shooter.... well get out the popcorn as there are many fine barrel makers. The really critical path is the gunsmith who fits and chambers it. The best money you can spend is to buy your own custom reamer and keep it for the next barrel. Too many smiths are renting reamers and who knows the condition & quality.

IME you can't go wrong with Fred Zeglin of Z Hat

http://www.z-hat.com/custom_barrel_contents.htm

But I do admit a bias as I published his book.(He built the 375 Scovill/Hawk on the right, that's my 400 Whelen on the left)

wildcats.jpg

I am having my first custom rifle built. I used a Rem Sportsman 78 action as a donor, then found a Rem 5R take off barrel here on the hide, and am using a B&C Medlist stock.

I'm anxious to get it back and see how she shoots.

I called my smith and asked what he recommends. After all, it's his name that will be attached to the rifle and he has a hell of a lot more experience with barrels than I do.

In this case he recommended a Pac-Nor Supermatch for my .308. Pac-Nor in turn recommended their 3-groove 1:12 for the 168gr. FGMM that I will be shooting.

When Tac-Ops is getting amazing accuracy out of setback factory barrels, I would think it would be difficult to get a name brand aftermarket blank that doesn't shoot.