• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington700 rimfire bolt

DarT8

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2008
Does anyone know where a rimfire bolt can be bought or anyone who can build a rimfire bolt for a Remington 700 short action? I would like to build a 22 trainer like I have seen here.
Thanks for any help or advice.

Re: Remington700 rimfire bolt

I would suggest you find a good Rem. 504T. It's about as close as you can get to the feel of a 700 and you will not have to do a lot of modifications to your rifle. And I'm not sure you could modify a Rem. short action to shoot 22LR.

The bolt would have to be made like a 40x bolt. This is a two piece design so the bolt head does not rotate with the bolt body. The bolt head has to stay stationary because the ejector and etractor fit in a recess in the barrel face. You would have to move the recoil lugs back to the bolt body just like a 40x and cut lug recesses in the reciever making it to weak it you deside to go back to a center fire round. You would be much better off getting a 40x and alot cheaper to. There are plenty of other 22's that could be used but a 40X would be the closes to a 700 SA for feel and looks. Donald

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarT8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone know where a rimfire bolt can be bought or anyone who can build a rimfire bolt for a Remington 700 short action? I would like to build a 22 trainer like I have seen here.
Thanks for any help or advice. </div></div>

After speaking with the person I spoke to last week, It seems I spoke out-of-school. Therefore, I have edited my post to eliminate info given before, as I was told this afternoon that the project is still not concrete yet - it is still under consideration. The project mentioned may or may not go forward in six months to a year. My apologies.

Keith

the 504/547 is a repeater with nearly the same foot-print as the 700 already. Remington has hired a swede by the name of Hoken to come in and help them design a few new rimfires and possibly some other rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not buy a 40x action </div></div>

Just where can a man find a 40X action at a reasonable price?

I am wanting to do the same and build a rifle that is like my 700. But finding a 40X acion at a reasonable price to me has been the hard part.

I will be holding out for a repeater.

I don't shoot a single shot tactical rifle, so I don't see a real reason for a single shot trainer. I WOULD like a .22LR with the same bolt-throw distance as my short action. That is the biggest thing that screws me up with a .22. Spend too much time on it and you will start short-stroking the fullbore gun.

I have to make sure that I dry fire a bunch after .22 training.

I want my small bore to feel the same as the rifle I am finishing up in 308 to compete with and maybe hunt some liong greem fields with.
The 40X seems to be the best way to go. More stock options and glass mounting.