• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reminton 788 Blog Gun

Infidel4life11

Retired Army
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Middle of nowhere
I have a 1980 Remington 788 243win. I have read a lot about these rifles and heard good things about them. This is my first .243. I would like to make this rifle a better long distance shooter. Keep in mind I am a Army SSG so I am not made of money. But I'd like to re-barrel it, What barrel should I use, How long, what twist. I want it in a tactical Stock, I was thinking a McMillan A2, your thoughts. I will take all your best advise and do things one at a time, post pics and results. And any info on the Remington 788 would be greatly appreciated. [img:left]
DSC00315.jpg
[/img]
Factory stock Rifle, leupold scope, Bi-pod
[img:left]
DSC00314.jpg
[/img]

DSC00318.jpg
[/img]

DSC00317.jpg
[/img]

DSC00319.jpg
[/img]
That is my target in the middle of the trees @ 100yrds

DSC00320.jpg
[/img]
2 groups @100yrds with cheap ammo

Re: Reminton 788 Blog Gun

I would suggest using decent ammo and having a reputable smith adjusting the trigger before rebarreling the rifle. It will be far cheaper and I think you'll be surprised. You could also look into bedding the rifle. There's 3 788's in my safe, and all shoot sub moa. What are your intentions for long range shooting? 300-500yd varmints? The stock 788 can do that and keep money in your wallet. The only way I could see rebarreling is if the rifling is gone or if you were using this for 600-1000yd competitions and had the experience to notice .25moa at such ranges.

Re: Reminton 788 Blog Gun

Thank you very much. I would like to shoot out to 800-1000yrds so thats why I was thinking about re-barreling it. I totally over looked bedding and putting a trigger on it as is. I think I will do that before any major changes. My intentions at the end of the day are to have a good tactical precision rifle. I've had $3,000 700's and still own a 10FCP HS precision and wanted something different that didn't weight 10lbs. This is also my 1st 243.