• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reminton M541 X for tactical trainer

McGuyver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
Utah
Hello all,

I have recently acquired a Remington M541 X Target rifle that I would like to convert to use as a tactical shooting trainer. I plan on removing the target sights and putting something like a 20MOA rail on it and a scope with adjustable turrets that I can dial for distances from 25 yards out to about 200. The trigger is crisp but heavy, and will need some work to lighten it up. The receiver has not been drilled for a scope or rail so that will have to be done.

What I am looking for, is a recommendation on who can do the trigger work, and a recommendation on a budget, but accurate scope and rail.
Someone I spoke to suggested a Meuller(?) as a good affordable scope for these. I found a reference on a google search of a guy who did trigger work on the 541, but I can't find it now.

Re: Reminton M541 X for tactical trainer

Get in contact with Brian Voelker. He's the 'smith to go to for these old Remmies.

That's him. That's the guy I was trying to remember who I saw did the 541 trigger work. Have you got any contact info for him?

[edit] never mind, I found him:
http://firearm-dealers.findthebest.com/l/30018/Voelker-Brian-Lee

BTW, for anyone that's interested, I found that EGW does a one piece scope mount for the 541 rifles. I will have to get my receiver drilled to mount it, but this looks like a good way to go:

http://www.egwguns.com/remington-bolt-action/remington-541-picatinny-rail-scope-mount/

I have his number saved as 319-932-2570. I wouldn't be willing to bet my life on it being correct, though. If you do end up sending the rifle to Brian he can d/t the action for the scope base.

The EGW mounts are good quality, and I would highly recommend them.

As far as scopes go, you have a plethora of options available to you. First you need to list a budget. Secondly, any features you desire. And lastly, what you intend to use the rifle for, weather it's hunting, target shooting, a mixture of both, yadda yadda.

I always suggest people take a long hard look at SWFA's SS series though. There are a good amount of models available for whatever you'll be planning on doing. I have an older mil/MOA fixed 10x and love the thing. They are coming out with mil/mil with and an improved mil-dot reticle in the new series. I would suggest one of those in your favorite magnification (6x, 10x, 12x, 16x, or 20x). For what it's worth, my 10x has never hindered me in a hunting situation. I still would like a 16x for general use or a 20x for strictly 100+/ target shooting. All those scopes are $300. SWFA has other scopes available too, but those are much more expensive.

It all depends what you'll use it for. With that being said, even on variables I tend to hover around the 12-16x range most often. I think it's a great compromise for all types of shooting that I do with the good old 22LR.

I want to set this gun up as a tactical trainer (an affordable alternative in 22lr), ie do all the same kind of things that a larger bore tactical bolt gun would do at long distances such as shoot prone, sitting, kneeling, from behind a baricade, etc. and engage various targets and scenarios at different distances. So obviously I will need a scope with adjustable turrets with a good amount of internal adjustment. Since this is a 22lr gun, max distance would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 yds or so, from a zero starting around 25 yards. Would like a reticle that I could use for both range estimation and hold overs. Since this is a budget 22lr trainer, I'm looking in the $200 to $300 range for a scope (don't want to get carried away--doesn't make sense to me to put an $1800 Nighforce on a 22 trainer).

I am currently considering a Meuller 4.5-14X44AO Tactical
http://muelleroptics.com/mt451440

possibly a Meuller 4-16X50AO Tactical?

http://muelleroptics.com/mt41650igr

or a Super Sniper 12X42
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-12x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53714.aspx

or possibly a SS 16X42?
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53715.aspx

SWFA 16x would work really well for glass and its 300 last time I checked.

would 16X be too much magnification for close up targets at say 25 yards, or would that work alright?

I have a Brian Voelker 541. It's a tack driver.

100.jpg

100 yards

IMAG0043.jpg

I put a Leupold Mark 4 10x40 on it. It focuses down to 50 (never shot it any closer).

I used to run an older SWFA 10x w/ side focus on a CZ 452 and it worked well from 50 out to 200 yards.

Who's scope base and rings did you use on your 541?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McGuyver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's scope base and rings did you use on your 541?</div></div>

It's whatever base he puts on his rifles and I used Leupold Mark 4 rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would 16X be too much magnification for close up targets at say 25 yards, or would that work alright?</div></div>

The SS scopes focus down to 10m so as long as you are comfortable with the magnification I would say it's a perfect scope for a rimfire trainer. But that's just my own opinion. Everybody is different.

This isn't mine and was worked up on an Annie Action. What I'm working on, Remington 541T. Action fits.

The guy that built it did it with a Dremel Tool.

Image0027.jpg

Image0026.jpg

Image0025.jpg

That is REALLY cool!!! Very nice idea for a smallbore prone rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Brian Voelker 541. It's a tack driver.

100.jpg

100 yards

IMAG0043.jpg

I put a Leupold Mark 4 10x40 on it. It focuses down to 50 (never shot it any closer).

I used to run an older SWFA 10x w/ side focus on a CZ 452 and it worked well from 50 out to 200 yards. </div></div>

I hope thats a 200 yard target. If not your smith or your ammo isnt working

Hmmm... that's an interesting concept 1lnbrdg. How are the receivers attached? I assume this was built on an AR-15 platform, correct?

They used a standard DPMS AR-15 upper receiver. Not sure how the did the collar for the barrel nut to go up against. A collar with 3 or 4 set screws should do the trick, epoxied after everyting is right.

The Anschutz action has the trigger bolting on from the bottom so that was easier than what I'll have to do with pinning the trigger on thru drilled holes.

AR-15 upper receivers are approx 1" inside diameter (will need to polish just a bit of the phosphate coating out). My receiver is 1" diameter.

I think 3 offseting brass screws in the rear of the receiver to take up any slop/vibiration

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I hope thats a 200 yard target. If not your smith or your ammo isnt working</div></div>

I guess you can't read. It clearly states it's a 100 yard target. Where's your 100 yard group with a 22?

0409011254.jpg

If the first one wasn't up to par, I hope this one is.

I wouldn't worry to much about Nesikabay. Every post he writes he is just running his mouth. He never has anything good to say, just negative