• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remmington 700 VTR .308 ...........NEEDS WORK!!

Dizzny

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Marysville CA
Great 700 action, terrible stock, weak trigger. I need some input on makeing this rifle worth while. Got a few dollars in it, it has a Leupold Mark 3 3.5-10x50 illuminated scope, but stock doesnt feel right and mcmillan can't channel a flat line for the triangle barrel, just round ones. Please do not tell me to sell it and get something else, I have heard that 1000000 times and it has got old. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Remmington 700 VTR .308 ...........NEEDS WORK!!

is there any place that can do a "Flat" channel? I love how this gun shoots I am just not ready to give up on it yet

My varmint rifle is a Rem 700 Varmint HB. Came with a wood stock.

It would shoot under a dime at 100 yards with handloads. But the next day, the group would be several inches off. Re-zero and back under a dime... the thing was so sensitive to weather, humidity, etc. it was all but useless.

Put it in a Choate/Plaster 'ultimate sniper' stock and it completely transformed. Zero never moves. Accurate as all get up.

Downsides of the Plaster... heavy. Stippling is rough until you sand it down. Minimal adjustment. And sometimes the mag follower doesn't work as well as it should (no drop floorplate).

Upsides. Inexpensive. Looks decent. Works like a charm... takes bipods and slings, etc. well. Comfortable ergonomics (if you sand the stippling.) The barrel channel will take anything, BTW.

I am sure it will take your action/barrel.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there any place that can do a "Flat" channel? I love how this gun shoots I am just not ready to give up on it yet </div></div>

Why do you need a flat channel? Have them inlet it for a Remington "Varmint Contour" and drive on. You may have a little extra gap on the sides, but that never hurt anything.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, then get a B&C stock. Remington actually uses B&C stocks on at least one of the triangle offerings.

An H&S Precision "take off" is also a possibility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think it will fit in an AICS stock?
</div></div>

Yes

For those of you that keep asking why I need a flat channel, go to google and type in 700 VTR barrel and you will see exactly why

You do not need a flat barrel channel just because the barrel is triangular. The barrel should not be touching the stock and if yours is, then that may very well be your issue.

I Googled it and found a thread referencing the pressure point in the stock. Is that what you were getting at? It will cause problems with the round barrels as well. This is why you throw the tupperware stock away first. Aftermarket stocks (of decent quality) will not have this issue. Order a stock of your brand preference that fits the rem varmint contour and have at it. I'll get a pic of a VTR in a HS tomorrow for you to see.

100 bucks for a trigger
200 bucks for an HS 700P takeoff stock.

Fixed it.

Or rebarrel it and use the triangle barrel as a fence post.

I am familiar with the VTR and am still wondering why the hell you would want a flat channel. Do as told above get a stock with with a Rem 700 inlet with varmint contour. Essentially that's all you have is a weird looking varmint barrel. There's quite a few stocks on the McM specials page right now so you wouldn't even have to wait to get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you that keep asking why I need a flat channel, go to google and type in 700 VTR barrel and you will see exactly why </div></div>

For someone that's needing help, seems like you have quite the attitude. Especially when your getting good advice from people that are more knowledge than you. You don't need a special inletted stock. In fact looking at pictures of the VTR, it doesn't even look like the stock, stock is inletted any different.

Also if you google Remington VTR and click on images, you can see numerous example of the VTR in PSS take off stocks and B&C Tactical stocks.

2djqumt.jpg

Mcmillan told me that i needed the flat contour for the stock is why I am asking. The barrel is not full free floating in the stock stock, it has two tabs on the stock side. I ground these down with a dremel, after about 10 shots the damn stock kinda warped I guess and is now touching the barrel on the right side. As far as my "Attitude", I really do not care to hear using my barrel for a fencepost, or any other smart ass comments on my postings. like I said in the title, they have gotten real old. I like the barrel, and it was a gift to me, and I am hell bent on turning it into something worthwhile. I do however appreciate the sound advice and apologize to those who are really trying to help. I would really like to put this in a mcmillan a5, yet they told me they couldn't contour the stock for the barrel. I just want to know why this is and where can I go to get one that works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do not need a flat barrel channel just because the barrel is triangular. The barrel should not be touching the stock and if yours is, then that may very well be your issue. </div></div>

I think this should be correct, yet mcmillan still tells me they can't. The woman on the phone told me they couldn't do a stock to match my barrel.. so I'm kinda wondering if that is not the truth?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rebarrel? </div></div>

Guns are like women... some people love things about women that no one else can see... I like this barrel so I really do wish to keep it. I have all kinds of rifles, it adds a little kick to the gun safe

Oh I forgot to ad... mcmillan said they could make me a a5 that is un-channeled for around 700 and a 4 month wait, I am still trying to understand their madness but I hear nothing but great things about their stocks, and I really like the look.

You came on here to ask other's opinions. You have gotten some input, yet you refuse to listen. Order your stock with the Remington varmint contour and be done with it. Good Luck!

Re: Remington 700 VTR .308 ...........NEEDS WORK!!

If your not going to listen to the advice given to you why bother to keep posting dumb shit.

Order or buy a stock inletted for a Rem SA varmint contour barrel channel. If you think it needs to be flat then bed the f*ckin barrel channel so it is flat to match the barrel. This would require a full bed and you would need some 10mil pipe tape to get the sort of gap needed.

As far as fence post, that's a terrible idea since its only like 2' long, by the time you drive it you would only have enough to build a decorative fence around a flower bed or something....

Here is a link to what McM has in stock. Find one for Rem 700 SA, order it, drop the rifle and stock off at your smith and have him do a full bed. Viola Flat barrel channel!
McMillan A series specials Page... In stock ready to ship

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#2369 ADJ A5 PAINTED OLIVE, RH S700, BADGER M5 DBM, 9/16" SCREW HOLES, REM VAR/SENDERO B/C, 1" DEC PAD, INTEGRAL C/P, 13.75" LOP, 1 FRONT STUD, 4 FLUSH CUPS (2 ON LEFT & 2 ON RIGHT SIDE). $650.00 6/30/10 </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#2379 A5 WOODLAND CAMO, RH S700, REM BDL F/P, REM VAR/SENDERO B/C, 1" DEC PAD, SADDLE C/P, 13.5" LOP, 3 STUDS. $650.00 6/30/10 </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> #2406 A5 PAINTED BLACK, RH S700, BDL F/P, FAC VAR B/C, SPACER SYSTEM, SADDLE C/P, 3 STUDS. $675.00 7/7/11</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#2407 ADJ A5 PAINTED BLACK, SNIPER FILL, RH S700, REM BDL F/P, REM VAR/SENDERO B/C, SPACER SYSTEM WITH 1/2" DECELERATOR PAD, KMW LOGGERHEAD C/P INLET (NO HARDWARE), FRONT STUD, 2 FLUSH CUPS ON LEFT SIDE, 2 ALUMINUM PILLARS INSTALLED. $605.00 7/8/10 </div></div>

If you will just order a stock with a rem varmint contour barrel you will be fine. Then when you get it, bed the action using devcon or marine tex. When you do wrap several layers of blue painters tape around the part of the barrel that sits at the very end of the stock. This will ensure that you have a free floated barrel while the bedding material dries.

Directions to bedding an action are on this site. It is very easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When you do wrap several layers of blue painters tape around the part of the barrel that sits at the very end of the stock. This will ensure that you have a free floated barrel while the bedding material dries.

Directions to bedding an action are on this site. It is very easy. </div></div>

Painters tape turns out rough, you can get the pipe wrap at nearly any plumbing or electrical supply store and it turns out smooth. It is also a constant thickness,

Either way same Rabbit different magician

Another thought if your deadest on that barrel you could send it off and have it lather turned into a round contour, this would solve your flat barrel channel dilemma....

take everything off the action and sell it. recoup some money. then get the action trued and a custom barrel added. then drop it in a nice stock and your on your way. The XLR stock is awesome. or the AICS or a Manners too. then add a nice optic and you have a good rifle. The XLR or AICS have provisions already for DBM, or get one of your choice for the Manners

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do not need a flat barrel channel just because the barrel is triangular. The barrel should not be touching the stock and if yours is, then that may very well be your issue. </div></div>

I think this should be correct, yet mcmillan still tells me they can't. The woman on the phone told me they couldn't do a stock to match my barrel.. so I'm kinda wondering if that is not the truth? </div></div>

They can't/wont because there is no need when it will fit in a varmint contour cut out just fine. I'd almost bet your current stock doesn't have a flat barrel channel in it.

Look at the picture posted above with your rifle and you'll see the barrel channel is round not flat......all they did with your barrel was take a varmint contour and cut it triangle instead of leaving it round.

It doesn't require a flat cut, the barrel shouldn't be touching the barrel channel anyhow. I wouldn't want to drop 700 bucks on a "flat barrel channel" McMillan when its going to be rebarreled later on anyhow, then you would have wasted 600 bucks or more.

I would like to thank everyone for their help, it shed alot of light and ideas that I hadn't thought about. I guess the woman from mcmillan had me all confused, but now I see that it is round and the barrel won't touch it anyhow. I will add pics when it is finally finished, to see what yall think. I know there are thousands of barrels better than what I got, but I would like to see the full potential of what I have before I expand to bigger and better things. Oh yeah one last question, this xpro trigger, has anyone else had problems with the adjustment screw backing out once it is set? I had it set for 3.5 lbs, anything less and just by putting the weapon to "safe" would make the trigger go off, thank god it was unloaded when I figured that one out!!

Don't mess with it any further and get it to a competent gunsmith. Next time you, or someone else, may not be so lucky! Safety is paramount and a F'ed up trigger is not a good idea to say the least!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah one last question, this xpro trigger, has anyone else had problems with the adjustment screw backing out once it is set? I had it set for 3.5 lbs, anything less and just by putting the weapon to "safe" would make the trigger go off, thank god it was unloaded when I figured that one out!! </div></div>

Let me guess, you dinked with it and DID NOT SEAL THE SCREW when you were done?

Don't touch that trigger again. Take it to a smith and have him set it correctly. The new X-Mark is not the best trigger I have ever used, but it is a very safe trigger when it's PROPERLY adjusted. You apparently did not PROPERLY adjust it.

I am a Remington Armorer, set my triggers by the book and never had one back out.

k, from now on I will not read any manuals and pay someone else to do work for me like turn an allan head 1/4 turn... but I do understand your concerns, and yes I did it by the book. I tested it unloaded for that reason, and I did not have to take anything apart. the allen head is on the top of the trigger itself, and I do have the correct guages to measure foot pounds... not exactly a mall ninja here

he is talking about the "pro" version. the one that adjust like the 40x trigger. The Rem manual gives directions how to adjust it.

If your going to take it to a smith you might as well put the money towards a decent trigger to be adjusted. Jewell etc.

If he is talking about the X-Mark Pro "Adjustable" (I didn't realize they were putting them on the VTR now) then he should have been able to back that screw all the way out and still have a safe pull.

If it is the screw in the trigger bow, you still need to take it to a gunsmith because now there is a problem with the trigger.

You should not be able to make the weapon fire by placing it on safe. The OLD problem was the weapon firing when it was taken OFF safe. This was what the X-Mark design was supposed to resolve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he is talking about the X-Mark Pro "Adjustable" (I didn't realize they were putting them on the VTR now) then he should have been able to back that screw all the way out and still have a safe pull.

If it is the screw in the trigger bow, you still need to take it to a gunsmith because now there is a problem with the trigger.

You should not be able to make the weapon fire by placing it on safe. The OLD problem was the weapon firing when it was taken OFF safe. This was what the X-Mark design was supposed to resolve.
</div></div>
We are of the same mind on this one,and after everything I read about it I thought the same, but mine had that problem. I did a little research on other people who own the VTR, and several have the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he is talking about the "pro" version. the one that adjust like the 40x trigger. The Rem manual gives directions how to adjust it.

If your going to take it to a smith you might as well put the money towards a decent trigger to be adjusted. Jewell etc. </div></div>

I would love to drop a Jewell in it, I may after I get the stock changed. Right now I am going to have to go to a smith, I don't know any out here. I am from Alabama and am stationed out here in California. Anyone know a good smith out here in Sacramento area by Beale AFB??

Was reading about your ordeal. My wife has the VTR. The OD of the barrel is either .82 or .85. Sorry I can't remember off the top of my mind. It's the same OD as their SPS-V and SPS-T models. Either way, any stock with a varmint channel can be used. I have a 700 VS take of HS on my SPS-T. Be carefull with stocks because if they are not milled out correctly it will force your action to one side and the bolt release will stick. So my suggestion, if you don't want to mill or dremel a stock is get a new trigger.
As far as triggers go, get an older style from the classifieds here on the hide. The older style is user adjustable and can be bought very cheaply. Do the reading on how to adjust it first and be sure you understand it. It is however not recomended to do by the end user, but if you are competant enough it can be done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was reading about your ordeal. My wife has the VTR. The OD of the barrel is either .82 or .85. Sorry I can't remember off the top of my mind. It's the same OD as their SPS-V and SPS-T models. Either way, any stock with a varmint channel can be used. I have a 700 VS take of HS on my SPS-T. Be carefull with stocks because if they are not milled out correctly it will force your action to one side and the bolt release will stick. So my suggestion, if you don't want to mill or dremel a stock is get a new trigger.
As far as triggers go, get an older style from the classifieds here on the hide. The older style is user adjustable and can be bought very cheaply. Do the reading on how to adjust it first and be sure you understand it. It is however not recomended to do by the end user, but if you are competant enough it can be done. </div></div>

Thanx for the advice, I am no professional by any means. The xpro did have an easy to follow manual and everything was done without disassembling anything, the adjustment screw was on the trigger. I will definitely go to a smith for it when I get a new or better one, you said to look for an older one, I wouldn't know what to look for. Any suggestions ?

I have a VTR that I put in a B&C stock.. Had the stock painted by 30calsniper. Shoots good since replacing the stock it came with. Haven't bedded yet but plan to.

Don't need a flat barrel channel. A remington varmint channel will do the job.

If your looking for a fairly cheap stock to replace with than go with B&C. McM's are great too, but much more expensive. I have an A5 that im currently waiting on for my SPS-V.

Oh and by the way.. Welcome to the Hide and have fun with your rifle.. Some say bad things about the VTR's but mine shoots great. May not be a precision shooter but its still fun to shoot with.

You can learn a lot from the guys on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and by the way.. Welcome to the Hide and have fun with your rifle.. Some say bad things about the VTR's but mine shoots great. May not be a precision shooter but its still fun to shoot with.

You can learn a lot from the guys on here. </div></div>
Well I appreciate it, there are people on here that have great advice, and they have been doing this alot longer than me!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a VTR that I put in a B&C stock.. Had the stock painted by 30calsniper. Shoots good since replacing the stock it came with. Haven't bedded yet but plan to.

Don't need a flat barrel channel. A remington varmint channel will do the job.

If your looking for a fairly cheap stock to replace with than go with B&C. McM's are great too, but much more expensive. I have an A5 that im currently waiting on for my SPS-V. </div></div>

I had someone give me a VTR and dropped in in a B&C as well. Shoots better but it will be a host for a .260 build soon.

Yeah this was my first rifle I ever bought. Hooked now so Im building my SPS-V and more will come!!
grin.gif

I like the stock but I will eventually sell it and move on to another MCM.. probably go with the M40A-1 HTG in either forest camo or GAP. I also upgrade the barrel.. but thats in the future. For now I'll just keep the barrel as is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah this was my first rifle I ever bought. Hooked now so Im building my SPS-V and more will come!!
grin.gif

I like the stock but I will eventually sell it and move on to another MCM.. probably go with the M40A-1 HTG in either forest camo or GAP. I also upgrade the barrel.. but thats in the future. For now I'll just keep the barrel as is. </div></div>

I mean come on... it is kinda cool

Yeah it is.. thats why im gonna leave it as is for now... once I feel i need to replace the barrel then I'll change the stock too..

None of that should happen until years from now.