• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remmy 700

jdemp1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2007
florida
Hello all........when did Remington change from a flat style rear receiver to entirely round ? Wanting to build up a few older receivers and it just hit me
Thanks JD

My understanding is the newer Remington 700's are entirely round the full length and do not have the lower rear that cocking piece rests against. I always used 2 pc bases and the rear base was slightly taller....................have they not changed ????

2 of my 700's are RR code receivers after 2015. They both have the standard profile. I'll wait for pictures.

I’ve bought a few r700s recently and they look the same as all my others. Here’s pics of the one I got a couple of days ago and you can see it’s not round back where you described. You might be confusing it with something else.

Attachments

• 5FA73831-2F3B-49E5-8009-F02D8F6DD927.jpeg
    5FA73831-2F3B-49E5-8009-F02D8F6DD927.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 41
  • F817FD13-C6F7-4A17-8DAF-9DB042A3ABFF.jpeg
    F817FD13-C6F7-4A17-8DAF-9DB042A3ABFF.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 40
jcmullis2..............that is exactly the profile of mine, the rear is LOWER than the front of receiver, THIS is precisely what I was referring to !
Put a straight edge on top of receiver and you will see the daylight on rear section
I haven't seen a new Remmy but was told they were entirely round now, ala Savage which is straight tube, (that was BS)
\ So that is why I asked the question
Obviously they have not changed.............my question has been answered thank you for posting the pictures !!!

If YA ALL still want pictures of my three I will gladly take some and post !!!!

Whoever told you that is mistaken. I don’t see Remington spending the money to change something that has made them the largest gun maker in America if not the world. Just saying

jcmullis2
Yup was handed a pile of bullshit info, see attachment below. I chucked up a barrel in my Hardinge and screwed a receiver on just to get a picture
did a rough measurement off machinist square and a .112 pin gauge slipped under however it is not flat nor even as back end is about .118
Perfect example of why one should bed bases in JB or similar compound.
If Remmy was going to do anything change it to straight cylinder, less work !! Yeah and up the QC, which was dismal on this receiver, quite a bit of work truing this one up.
A good case to buy aftermarket, there are so many fine receivers available now However I have 3 Remmys and 4 Savages Tuned up along with a Stiller so no shortage :) THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING !
IMG_0097.jpg

I buy leupold rings & bases or rails for mine and they seem to do just fine. My rings usually require very little lapping and the rails never gave me a problem either. I level my scope to my rifle so even if the mount isn’t right it doesn’t affect anything. At least not that I can tell. It amazes me how good they shoot even when they’re like yours.