• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remmy 700P .223

Re: Remmy 700P .223

LTR's are 20" but I can't remember seeing one in 223. Doesn't meen they didn't make one, all the ones I have seen are 308 and I think 6.8 as well but memory is foggy....Laugh.. Depending on shape / condition and or options,extras $550-$750..Usually LTR's are worth about $75-$100 more due to a more compact, lighter design and has a fluted barrel ( Atleast the ones I have seen.)...Hope this helps......SmokeRolls

PSS were all made in 26" I believe they only came in .308,300 WM, and 6.8 SPC and I believe they made a .223 one...

Several PSS rifles were produced with 24" tubes, but not with a 20". Both the PSS, P and LTR models are pretty easy to find in .223.

As for going price, they seem to be selling somewhere in the $800s new.

I was a bit confused on P/PSS/LTR model differences. The rifle I talking about has a 20" barrel.

Wondered what years were what, I will give Remington a call MON with the serial to see what the stats are on it.

I was thinking if close to a true 1:9 I could shoot some 75 AMAX while I wait for the build to be finished.

Spot,
The LTR is a 20" fluted barrel with a slimmer grip area stock then the standard PSS. I think the twist is a 1/9 in the LTR. I personally like the LTR stock better then the PSS.

SOTA

Sounds like a LTR, the stock seems a bit thinner and shorter as compared to the PSS's I recall seeing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a bit confused on P/PSS/LTR model differences. The rifle I talking about has a 20" barrel.

Wondered what years were what, I will give Remington a call MON with the serial to see what the stats are on it.

I was thinking if close to a true 1:9 I could shoot some 75 AMAX while I wait for the build to be finished. </div></div>

My 5R is a 1/9 twist. Got to break it in a bit yesterday. Was zeroing a scope and trying to get some dope, so didnt shoot a lot of groups, but it was shooting some 69 grain Scenars into itty bitty groups. Looks like it will be a 1/2 minute shooter, at least out to 2oo.

Alright, I am picking this topic back up because I may need some help.

I checked on the serial, it looks like someone has taken this SPS Tactical, put it into a LTR stock and bedded it. The bedding looks like a very good job. The trigger is set a little lite for my liking but close to 2 lbs.

Bad news, I tried to shoot the 75 AMAX over 25.0 gr of Varget but, not stabilized would be an understatement.

So, I loaded up a few 69 SMK and shot at the range. These would group a few shots quarter size then throw 2-3 out 5". that disappointed me so home I went. Started cleaning, now the barrel was dirty but 5"?

To the naked eye it all looks good, crown looks good, chamber looks good, bedding seems alright, free floated.

The last few things I can think of is, get some factory ammo put it in my AICS and shoot a couple different types and see. The twist is suppose to be 9:1 but not stabilizing the 69 SMK and groups all over the place has me a bit confused.

Bt the way it's Seekins base and rings topped off with a Premier.

Post up some ideas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, I am picking this topic back up because I may need some help.

I checked on the serial, it looks like someone has taken this SPS Tactical, put it into a LTR stock and bedded it. The bedding looks like a very good job. The trigger is set a little lite for my liking but close to 2 lbs.

Bad news, I tried to shoot the 75 AMAX over 25.0 gr of Varget but, not stabilized would be an understatement.

So, I loaded up a few 69 SMK and shot at the range. These would group a few shots quarter size then throw 2-3 out 5". that disappointed me so home I went. Started cleaning, now the barrel was dirty but 5"?

To the naked eye it all looks good, crown looks good, chamber looks good, bedding seems alright, free floated.

The last few things I can think of is, get some factory ammo put it in my AICS and shoot a couple different types and see. The twist is suppose to be 9:1 but not stabilizing the 69 SMK and groups all over the place has me a bit confused.

Bt the way it's Seekins base and rings topped off with a Premier.

Post up some ideas.

</div></div>

you say it won't stabilize 69's...how so. throwing shots out 5" probably has nothing to do with dirty bore. what was your load with the 69's? 75's are a bit heavy on the 1:9 twist if that is what you have. is it possible you have a 1:12 barrel?

At one time you could get the 700P in 12 twist. If you have a dewey rod rap a patch arround a loose bush and pull it through the bore slowly. mark it and watch it rotate one turn. Measure the length of the rod that moved and you have your twist rate. A bit crude but will be close to a 1/4 inch or so. Donald

There was a thread here a few weeks ago concerning a few sps 223's that actually were shipped 1:12 twist by mistake.
You might be a little hot under the amax's. Mine did the same thing. Back off 1/2 grain and retry? 25 grains under the 69's should be fine.
To get the 75's to shoot I had to do a full ladder test with powder. A couple 1/10ths made all the difference.
I hope you get it worked out.
Rob

I am going to check the twist again, it is possible that it is a 12. Remington said it was a 9 twist.

Only one I would bet on being 1 in 9 is the PSS or LTR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am going to check the twist again, it is possible that it is a 12. Remington said it was a 9 twist. </div></div>

I bought a Rem 700PSS 20" off GB. Called Remington, turns out it was a 700VS w/1:12 twist. The good news is it shoots 50, 55, 62gr really well.

Back to the barrel, if it has 3 wide flutes it is definitely an LTR. if not it may be a varmint barrel chopped down, or it may be an SPS tactical that was restocked.

Not an LTR.

Remington says it's not a 12 twist, but at the range a few hours ago. 55's look perfect and 75/69's completely sideways at 50 yds.

Think I will give Remmington another call.

Try what was mentioned above with using the cleaning rod to get the real answer.

Remington is only going to know what the computer tells them.

In 2001-2002, I had a LTR w/ 1-9. it grouped like a shotgun. I tried everything, I gave up and got rid of it. I also had a one of the first 700P w/ a 26" 1-9. It had a defective chamber, I sent it back to Remington. They replaced the bbl w/ a 1-12! I complained but got nowhere. I still have it and groups well though. I would think twice abouting getting a Remington. Good Luck.

A friend of mine had one too. His wouldn't shoot the heavy bullets either. We were trying the 69's and the 75 Amax's. My Rem would shoot the 75's but it has a 1-9 hvy Shilen barrel and is a 223Improved, so it is a different animal now.

I was informed today by Remington representative that the first 134 of the .223 SPS Tacticals were barreled incorrectly. They were 20" 1:12 twists. Remington sent me a box paid to return it for a new barrel.

He said a majority have been returned and corrected as well.