• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Remmy R-25

Mall Ninja308556

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2011
Ok guys I sent the FAL packing and replaced it with this:

8387ff3f.jpg

Im torn between Leupold or Burris in the $300-$500 range. When im searching through Amazon I only see non-mil reticles. Can you get into a mil/mil in my price range? Im not planning on shooting people (yet, LOL) but I want to learn how to use a mil setup. But this is primarily a hunting and fun rig for 300-600 yds.

Re: Remmy R-25

look at weaver

I havnt heard much on those. I have found a few Nikons that have what im looking for (at least 20 power, large forward obj) but they dont offer a mil dot. Most of the good deals are on the BDC. =(

Shot a few at 200 yds. last night with my buddies 3-9x and 9x is really not much! If I want to use this thing over 500 yds. I need a lot more mag!

You don't need more mag- you WANT more mag. 1x - 1.5x per 100m should be enough for most anything shy of the smallest targets. AT LEAST 20x? Just wtf kind of scope do you think you'll get for $300-$500 that is AT LEAST 20x and will actually be useable that high in the magnification range? It categorically does not exist. Sure you'll find scopes that go to 20x plus... but the optical quality will be for shit, rendering it just shy of useless.

Quality of glass is more important than magnification; 10x-15x tops should be more than enough for anything you'll do with that R25. Weaver is likely your best option in that price range. To do any better would require a couple hundred more.

Variable power:
weaver (grand slam tactical from midway)
millet
falcon

Fixed:
SuperSniper

Do yourself a favor, buy the weaver (may still be on sale for $299), or up the amount to $700 and pick up a Vortex Viper PST. And forget the at least 20x idea.

Nikon doesn't have a mil in the M223 but its a great scope. They have a few models from 1x4,2x8,4x14 ck it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You don't need more mag- you WANT more mag.AT LEAST 20x? Just wtf kind of scope do you think you'll get for $300-$500 that is AT LEAST 20x and will actually be useable that high in the magnification range? It categorically does not exist. Sure you'll find scopes that go to 20x plus... but the optical quality will be for shit, rendering it just shy of useless.</div></div>

Whoa buddy! Relax, I am a noob at this and I have found a few scopes in that range, but unlike you guys, im still learning. "It's not what you dont know that gets you, its what you dont know, you dont know, that gets you"!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quality of glass is more important than magnification; 10x-15x tops should be more than enough for anything you'll do with that R25. Weaver is likely your best option in that price range. To do any better would require a couple hundred more.</div></div>

Well my scope experience is quite minimal. But between the Bushnell and BSA that my buddy brought (both 3-9x) I felt even on 9 they wernt great. Now I know BSA is junk, but Bushnell is supposed to be decent. But we were shooting at night, under the lights, with 20mph gusts! In the desert, there is a lot of $hit blowing around with those kinds of winds. So I dont feel like I learned much, other than that I thought 9x was not enough. The last rig I shot had top dollar glass and HIGH mag. We were shooting dimes taped to the target at 10yds! I just dont have a 4 figure budget for glass right now. Unless someone here wants a real nice dirt bike in trade! =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Variable power:
weaver (grand slam tactical from midway)</div></div>

WOW! After reading the reviews here and on Midways site I think this is going to be my choice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do yourself a favor, buy the weaver (may still be on sale for $299), or up the amount to $700 and pick up a Vortex Viper PST. And forget the at least 20x idea. c</div></div>

It is still on sale until Dec 31st. If I go this route, what rings do you guys recommend? I want it as low as possible (obviously) and dont need fancy quick release. I plan to run a 1 o'clock with a small red dot instead of BUIS...

You can also grab a SS 3-9 off the SampleList for $499--it's within budget (not by much) but it's a hell of an optic...

Burris tactical rings would do just fine and be a fair price. Don't recall the name of them though.

At night, under lights- there is a lot of your problem. That's a situation that requires some very, very quality glass to get good visibility. Bushnell is decent- I own US Optics, NightForce and Bushnell; granted bushnell is NOT on the level of USO or NF, it's good for the price. But I wouldn't expect much in low, artificial light conditions.

A lot of guys get caught up on magnification- to the point of detriment. If you can afford NF, USO, S&B and the likes, then sure- go get your variable power with a top end higher than 20x. But you won't find anything in $300-$500 that is actually useable that high in anything but the clearest, brightest conditions. And even then it will look like you're watching television on a set from the 60's with a few tubes on the way out.

The common advise given to new shooters is to stick with something around 10x- that will get you out to 1000 yards... it isn't ideal for 1k, but it is capable. But, you should be focusing at 600 and in for a while anyway- a range which small errors don't result in total misses that you can't annylize without a good spotter to watch trace and splash- in other words, small errors still result in hits- poor hits, but still hits so you kno where they went. Once you are finding yourself outgrowing that scope, THEN look to something with higher magnification, more features... and be ready to spend more money. Glass has a sort of funny scale on value. In terms of tactical scopes there is usually little discernible difference between one that runs $75 and one that runs $200. Get into the $300-$700 range though and there is a HUGE difference. Then move up to $700-$1500 and the fades off a bit. Beyond that, the difference really are in the find details. So what I'm telling you is, try to start in the bottom of the $300-$700 range with something maxing out at 9-12x. Later on look at moving up to the top of that range, maybe up to $800 and make use of your new found practical range.

Oh and between the SS 3-9 and the weaver, the SS would be the better choice, but it's also $200 more... that's 200-240 rds of FGMM 168's you could have shot. However, if you don't buy before the price goes back up on the weaver it's only a $100 difference... making the SS a much more attractive option.

Oh and did you say the bushnell was 3-9? That's not going to be in their top quality glass, so take that into consideration too. Not to say Bushnell has top tier glass, but like everyone else they do have differences within their various product lines.

You can buy an 80 dollar bushnell up to a 1500 dollar bushnell.

You have alredy made n important decision to go mil/mil. Good for you. You'll soon wonder why evry one doesn't do it.

Now, there is a 200 dollar bushnell that is pretty good, the 10x bushnell elite tactical.
It is limited as it is a fixed power with no parallax adjustment.

The weaver grand slam tactical is an awesome package, especially at the sale price.

Ok guys, ill get the Weaver on the way today. Just need to figure out rings. Im worried about ordering the wrong height. Is there standards? Or do I just need to order based on the size of the forward app of the Weaver?

A set of lows should work just fine. Burris XTR or SWFA rings will do you just fine.

Awesome! thnx

My gf just ordered the glass today as early Xmas present. 2-Day UPS puts it on my door step Thursday. Im hoping to track down rings locally for quickness but if I have to order online then I want to make sure I am getting the right stuff for obvious reasons!

Being a noob sucks! If this was a car, plane, cycle, etc. No prob! =)

A typical AR needs 1.4" high rings to "clear" the front sight base. Yours does not have an FSB, but you need to get your scope height correct for proper cheek weld.

Get a friend and a ruler. Mount rifle and get a good cheek weld, and have friend hold ruler on the rail. Where your "eyeline" hits the ruler should give you a good starting point for center of scope, then find some rings that put the center of the scope at that dimension. I'm guessing you'll be around 1.2" +/-.

Just one way of doing it....

Good luck,

Bill

Super High Leupold MK IV rings and a Leupold Mark AR scope. Pick out the load you are going to be shooting (42.5gr of Varget and 165gr. Sierra Gamekings work great in my R-25), Chrono it and send the data to Leupold for a custom turret. You will not be disappointed.

This rifle is actually what I bought these for:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...090#Post2947090

Keep your eyes open for a set, they pop up from time to time on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A typical AR needs 1.4" high rings to "clear" the front sight base. Yours does not have an FSB, but you need to get your scope height correct for proper cheek weld.

Get a friend and a ruler. Mount rifle and get a good cheek weld, and have friend hold ruler on the rail. Where your "eyeline" hits the ruler should give you a good starting point for center of scope, then find some rings that put the center of the scope at that dimension. I'm guessing you'll be around 1.2" +/-.

Just one way of doing it....

Good luck,

Bill </div></div>

Thats interesting, I have never heard of measuring. I was told that the closer the scope centerline is to the barrel the better? (parralax)

Keep the scope low- your only issue may be limitations on forward mounting with conventional rings. Most AR's running scopes do best with some sort of cantilever mount that allows the scope to be placed further forward than rings alone.

Ok will do. I think I came accross a cantilever that had a built in 1 o'clock. Ill have to look again as that would be a sweet all in one setup...

Well my early Xmas present arrived today!

e18d5d1f.jpg

Unfortunately the only one piece rings I could find are ones ive never heard of "Freedom Reaper". They looked "decent" so we will see...

Thanks to all for the help in this thread!