• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Remora Holster Review

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
Alright so I recently I've been hearing about a holster company down in Florida called Remora that is making some rather unique holsters. The have a IWB clip-less concealment holster design. Basically the design uses a tacky rubberized exterior that clings to you and your clothing.

So out of curiosity I order one up just to see what all they hype was about. Fast forward to today and I find my new holster in my mail box. Turn around was good, I placed the order on the 13th, it shipped on 15th, and I received it on the the 21st (damn weekends). Now for exactly what I ordered. My EDC pistol is a full size 1911 so I order the 12D RFT-SS tuckable holster. Which translates to 12D being the size for a full frame 1911 and RFT-SS means reinforced top w/ sweat shield and the tuckable part I think is self explanatory. And for visual reference:

2012-06-21123100.jpg

My initial impressions are favorable. The quality is good and considering the price, under $50, it is exceptional. The exterior material is tough and does keep the holster in place very well. To the point to pulling my undershirt out when I remove the holster. And concealment is acceptable. What I have found is that a subtle nondescript bulge can be seen on my hip. However I think this is more a by-product my NoAssAtTal syndrome rather then the holster.

2012-06-21124408.jpg

In terms of comfort this thing is awesome. I thought my Comp-Tac Spartan was the standard which to judge a IWB holster upon, but now I am re-evaluating that.

Now these are just first impressions. I'm going to update this in about a week and see what time will teach me. But for now I have to say I'm very impressed with this holster.

Re: Remora Holster Review

I have had mixed luck with mine but this could be attributed to body type (Im fat). I have had multiple instances (3 to be exact) where when practicing drawing my weapon the whole holster came out of my waistband with it... I was wearing jeans and a 1.5" leather gun belt at the time that were tight enough the belt had to be undone to put the holster back in the pant line.

I still wear it around the house at times because I feel that the issue could have been user error. I cannot argue that they are very comfortable, (I wear a CompTac Mtac 99% of the time) but I am wary of trusting my life to a holster that chooses to lose grip at the one time you might need it, when drawing the weapon.

I fully intend to take it with me to my next practice session at the range to run it through its paces, my buddy has the exact same holster and gun and has had no issues for what its worth. I hope it works out for you as it has for many! Do a few practice draws and let us know how things go for you.

I have them, nice stuff. I use it for a 'quick pistol sheath'

my PF9 which is my pocket carry BUG has been inside a remora for over a year now. I love it. my gir's P238 has been in one for over a year as well.

anything bigger than a pocket pistol, it's a little uncomf to carry in my opinion.

ShooterMcGavin33 I ran several drills this afternoon and found the holster did not move. Once in place mine stays right it is placed. Were I in your shoes I would be calling Remora and speaking to them about the issue, but that is just me.

taseal I can understand you view point. I have been lugging around a full frame 1911 for so many years that it has just become the norm to me. But to be honest with you I'm looking at adding something more compact, like a Glock 30 or XDM 45 compact, just for the purpose of deep concealment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ShooterMcGavin33 I ran several drills this afternoon and found the holster did not move. Once in place mine stays right it is placed. Were I in your shoes I would be calling Remora and speaking to them about the issue, but that is just me.

taseal I can understand you view point. I have been lugging around a full frame 1911 for so many years that it has just become the norm to me. But to be honest with you I'm looking at adding something more compact, like a Glock 30 or XDM 45 compact, just for the purpose of deep concealment. </div></div>

I carry a fullsize 1911 as well, but with a crossbreed. with the remora, it was too much weight that was being tensioned and held by my skin

Im' gonna try my Five Seven with it, see how that works. same size, but like 1/4 the weight lol

mp9c was little uncomf with it too. for that I use a white hat holster and it works great.

No the weight of the pistol has little effect. The way Remora holsters functions is that by sticking to you and your cloths the weight is distributed evenly.